20 posts in this topic

This is regarding parents who were filed in 2020. Parents filed in same date same center but is not approved at same time! What is the reason behind it? Its almost 3 months one of my parent get approved, completed nvc for the first case but another is stucked at uscis. Pd for both case march 02,2020. Sc texas for both.

Edited by chaliseayush

They are two different people - each case is evaluated separately.

That visa category is suspended for at least the remainder of 2020 anyway.

I know they are different but my boss case is reviewed and approved as usual. My first case was approved after presidental proclamation came so i think they are reviewing the case but not schleduling the interview. If the case is dqed only few steps are left. We can schleduled the interview earlier,,

5 minutes ago, chaliseayush said:

I know they are different but my boss case is reviewed and approved as usual. My first case was approved after presidental proclamation came so i think they are reviewing the case but not schleduling the interview. If the case is dqed only few steps are left. We can schleduled the interview earlier,,

Interviews for banned visa categories will not be held, since those visas cannot be issued.

I'm not sure what your other comment means, but like I said:  each individual's case is evaluated separately from every other family member's or friend's.  

It’s mostly luck in my opinion. It will depend not only on the service center but on the person who get the case I think. I submitted application for mom with all required documents and it took 11.5 months to get approved while others submitted after me, even got rfe and still ended up being approved ahead of my mom’s case.

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

My mom’s I-130 is stuck (IR5 VISA). My PD is May 10, 2019 and was assigned Nebraska and then the application was subsequently transferred to Vermont in Feb/Mar 2020. Subsequently, the proclamation came about with the suspension of IR5 Visas through December 31, 2020. 

I’ve tried submitting case status update queries to USCIS, Ombudsman with no effect. I guess, there is no sense in trying, as the processing of Visa is suspended at this point. Initially I was planning to escalate via Congressman and if that didn’t work, submit a mandamus writ petition. Hope this helps people who are querying about what to do in the event of “outside of normal processing times” situation.

24 minutes ago, kwijibo123 said:

My mom’s I-130 is stuck (IR5 VISA). My PD is May 10, 2019 and was assigned Nebraska and then the application was subsequently transferred to Vermont in Feb/Mar 2020. Subsequently, the proclamation came about with the suspension of IR5 Visas through December 31, 2020. 

I’ve tried submitting case status update queries to USCIS, Ombudsman with no effect. I guess, there is no sense in trying, as the processing of Visa is suspended at this point. Initially I was planning to escalate via Congressman and if that didn’t work, submit a mandamus writ petition. Hope this helps people who are querying about what to do in the event of “outside of normal processing times” situation.

Even though the issuance of IR-5 visas is currently stopped you still want to get I-130 petition approved and get DQed at NVC. This way, once the ban expires, your mom’s visa can get in the queue for the interview. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I submitted I-130 for my parents on March 8, 2020 and got receipts on March 09, 2020. For a minor mistake while filing online, I missed info, so supported some proofs to them by sending to Texas service (following what they instructed me). I scared my submission to the wrong service, I called them in many times for confirming (because I'm living in California, supposedly my cases should come to California service as per my assumption). Eventually, they said my files to Texas Service; and I sent to Texas with a good faith. During the past 6 months, I've been keeping watching my cases under Texas Service and hoped they will be approved in this month or next month. Till yesterday, I called USCIS for checking my cases; the guy on phone was so rude to me. I told him that my case should be in Texas service instead of California service as he said. I kept asking him that "If so, is my case transferred to California after received by Texas Service? and how long?" He said it is confidential and cant share with me ( is it confidential ... why???) ... his attitude was very impolite to me... anyway, the point I want to say here that I hope to hear some advises from you guys. Now should I wait for my cases approved with the processing time of California 11.5 months while I have been waiting for over 6 months already? I feel disappointed with what USCIS is working since they got our money without taking a full responsibility for it. 

Thank you!

I think u should wait till officer sees your case. If they need anything from u they will mail you. During inquiry your case is moved at diiferent places. Please see noa1 service center for the service center and please check processing time according to that service center. If it exceed the processing day you can make inquiry. I think you should wait until jurisicating officer ask some proof to you.

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Just to update this topic.

Ombudsman complain was followed up and the USCIS office subsequently responded with an RFE. They’re doing their level best to drag this on, IMO. The RFE arrived in September. With the pandemic, it took me some time to collect everything and send to USCIS. They received everything last week of November 2020 (acknowledged on the website).

Is there a timeframe by which they have to process the application now that they’ve received a response to the RFE? When can I submit a case inquiry again? Can ask for an expedite?

24 minutes ago, kwijibo123 said:

Just to update this topic.

Ombudsman complain was followed up and the USCIS office subsequently responded with an RFE. They’re doing their level best to drag this on, IMO. The RFE arrived in September. With the pandemic, it took me some time to collect everything and send to USCIS. They received everything last week of November 2020 (acknowledged on the website).

Is there a timeframe by which they have to process the application now that they’ve received a response to the RFE? When can I submit a case inquiry again? Can ask for an expedite?

What would be the motivation for USCIS to be “doing their level best to drag this on”? Imo you’d do better not taking things personally and understanding it is a big bureaucracy with boxes to be checked at every step of the way and limited flexibility in understanding and assessing things that don’t fit neatly in those boxes.  Historically USCIS has taken around 30-60 days to respond to RFEs, not sure about now. 

Timeline
Just now, SusieQQQ said:

What would be the motivation for USCIS to be “doing their level best to drag this on”? Imo you’d do better not taking things personally and understanding it is a big bureaucracy with boxes to be checked at every step of the way and limited flexibility in understanding and assessing things that don’t fit neatly in those boxes.  Historically USCIS has taken around 30-60 days to respond to RFEs, not sure about now. 

Yes, I probably came off as bitter and you’re probably right. But the boxes to be checked hasn’t been in my favor, or what is normally “normal” ... Let me see, if I can rephrase the question(s).

1. The application was originally assigned to Nebraska (May 2019 PD).

2. When Nebraska was nearing the PD (Feb 2020, this year) for the application it was transferred to Vermont (slower).
3. From everything I read, the transfer shouldn’t affect processing times (i.e, the application retains the PD for Nebraska). This was confirmed by USCIS, which allowed me to file ONPT request.

4. USCIS responded to two ONPT queries from me (Apr and Jul 2020) with generic responses. 
5. Which led me to file an Ombudsman complaint (Jul 2020).

6. After Ombudsman complaint, they sent me an RFE (Sept 2020).. I responded to it, they received Nov 2020.
7. From what I’m reading, there’s no set timeframe for USCIS to process RFEs. Which led me to ask that question - when to start the process of contacting USCIS again. Does the clock reset or was it a pause? Will I retain Nebraska processing times (much better now, Mar 2020), or is it Vermont processing times ( much worse, regressed to May 2018, for IR5)?

Notwithstanding the RFE, I’d have been much further along, if the application had stayed in Nebraska, which is a big source of my frustration. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

On 12/19/2020 at 9:01 AM, kwijibo123 said:

Yes, I probably came off as bitter and you’re probably right. But the boxes to be checked hasn’t been in my favor, or what is normally “normal” ... Let me see, if I can rephrase the question(s).

1. The application was originally assigned to Nebraska (May 2019 PD).

2. When Nebraska was nearing the PD (Feb 2020, this year) for the application it was transferred to Vermont (slower).
3. From everything I read, the transfer shouldn’t affect processing times (i.e, the application retains the PD for Nebraska). This was confirmed by USCIS, which allowed me to file ONPT request.

4. USCIS responded to two ONPT queries from me (Apr and Jul 2020) with generic responses. 
5. Which led me to file an Ombudsman complaint (Jul 2020).

6. After Ombudsman complaint, they sent me an RFE (Sept 2020).. I responded to it, they received Nov 2020.
7. From what I’m reading, there’s no set timeframe for USCIS to process RFEs. Which led me to ask that question - when to start the process of contacting USCIS again. Does the clock reset or was it a pause? Will I retain Nebraska processing times (much better now, Mar 2020), or is it Vermont processing times ( much worse, regressed to May 2018, for IR5)?

Notwithstanding the RFE, I’d have been much further along, if the application had stayed in Nebraska, which is a big source of my frustration. 

I would think that during the time of COVID, the processing of petitions in banned visa categories would be triaged to the very bottom of the priority list for USCIS.

1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

I would think that during the time of COVID, the processing of petitions in banned visa categories would be triaged to the very bottom of the priority list for USCIS.

They state something to that effect on their website:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/nvc-timeframes.html

Please note, as result of April 22, 2020 Presidential Proclamation, we are reviewing documents for cases not subject to the travel restrictions first.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.