aceegreene

SSN Not Arrived

41 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 8/7/2020 at 11:34 PM, ProbeGT said:

Yes.  Once you have a SSN, you will be eligible

Filing MFS will allow your spouse to remain eligible.  If they file with you (ITIN holder), then neither will get the stimulus

Got it, thanks. Will definitely look into this. 

On 8/8/2020 at 2:29 AM, Ann&James said:

At present there are limited appointments  for SS cards. To be eligible  you must have a valid job offer in writing  or some medical issue. They only issue only under these circumstances with an in person interview . 

Yea I’ve heard this. Which is why I was surprised the lady telling me to get an appointment. In-person appointment isn’t possible for me anytime soon anyway. 

On 8/8/2020 at 6:17 AM, Amadia said:

There are major delays with everything because of COVID-19 and it sucks. :bonk:

Yup, that does suck. And information available is also confusing because even they themselves are confused at times.

On 8/7/2020 at 2:29 PM, Ann&James said:

To be eligible  you must have a valid job offer in writing  or some medical issue. They only issue only under these circumstances with an in person interview .

It depends on the local SSA office. Some are providing appointments without one of those reasons.

On 8/7/2020 at 6:17 PM, Amadia said:

I am very surprised that the customer service person who gave you info on the phone said you have to go in-person when I'm sure they too would have gotten the office closure memo for staff 🙄

It's because it varies widely per local SSA office. Some are more lax in providing in-person appointments at this time.

1 hour ago, aceegreene said:

Yea I’ve heard this. Which is why I was surprised the lady telling me to get an appointment.

Did you call the specific 1-800 number for your local office? https://www.ssa.gov/locator/ blue "Locate An Office By Zip" button

Timeline
51 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Did you call the specific 1-800 number for your local office? https://www.ssa.gov/locator/ blue "Locate An Office By Zip" button

Yes I did. It was the local SSA office which told me to get an in-person appointment if the info doesn’t arrive to them after 10 days. 

Timeline
On 8/7/2020 at 10:53 AM, bobjennyhitched said:

Hi, so mine took 10 weeks after four calls to the SSA. This is what happened to me pretty much. I marked the DS-260 for it to be assigned and it wasn't done.

I ended up re-applying and was persistent until i got an appointment. 

This seems to be happening a lot lately.

I believe this is because of COVID-19 delay/closures of offices.

35 minutes ago, Lexushim said:

I believe this is because of COVID-19 delay/closures of offices.

Possibly, I got an urgent appointment as my company needed me in work, so they wrote a letter to the SSA.

wpid-1030ldr.gif

You will have to call different local offices and see which one is willing to give you a walk-in appointment.

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Timeline

So, I spoke to USCIS and they’ve generated a service request to check what’s up with my SSN delivery. Called the local SSA as well and they said to wait for 6 weeks after green card delivery before inquiring with them. 

Now my question is, is there any way to check status updates or find out if anything has changed regarding my SSN delivery? Or do I just wait for it to arrive at the address? 

Someone somewhere mentioned SAVE case check. Can that tell if my SSA has received my info for SSN creation and mailing?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Timeline

Hi everyone, 

So my POE was July 2nd and I just received my SSN out of nowhere. I’m outside the USA and obviously couldn’t even get an appointment. 

The one thing I did was called the USCIS twice to ask them if a request had gone from their side to the SSA for my SSN since I had marked my DS-260 for it. The first time they generated an inquiry which didn’t yield a satisfactory response. The second time they connected me to a higher level official (because the inquiry didn’t resolve my issue). The higher level official categorically told me that now I won’t automatically get the SSN and once I’m in the country I should get an appointment etc etc. 

Now I don’t know if that did something or if someone just woke up from their slumber and decided to process my SSN but thought I’d just update here that I got it. 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi all, 

I arrived October 20th, POE LAX.  No SSN after 3 weeks, called local SSA (San Diego).  The chap checked all my details and told me there was no record on the system (ticked the box on the DS-260 like so many others).  Was told they'd schedule a call back in the next 2-3 weeks to book an in person appointment to come in and apply.  I had a call back within 2 days and an appointment within another 2 days.  7 days after that my SSN arrived.  Thought it might be helpful to have an update from a recent arrival - good luck to those still waiting!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.