nendu

How to type "N/A" in I485; How to type alphanumeric value in I130 I94 field; Leave middle name blank?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello all,

I am currently working on my AOS forms. Instructions for various forms like I485 specify that I should type N/A for questions that does not apply to me. But when I try to type the "/" I get a pop up message saying "Enter only letter, space and hyphen. I am attaching a screenshot of the popup message. This happens both in Windows and Mac. I am using the Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. Is anyone else encountering this? Is there any workaround?

I am also facing a similar problem in I130. I have an alphanumeric I94 number. In I130, when I try to enter the alphabet, it again creates a popup error message saying only numbers are allowed. I am wondering if anyone found a workaround for that.

Also, I do not have a middle name. I am leaving that field blank right, and not put anything like N/A or None?

Thank

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 6.13.09 PM.png

RoC Timeline:

1. 12/04/2023 - Application sent to USCIS Elgin, IL lockbox
  2. 12/07/2023 - Application received by USCIS
  3. 12/12/2023 - Received "Your case received" text message from USCIS. Receiipt # starts with IOE
  4. 12/13/2023 - Check cashed by USCIS
  5. 12/19/2023 - Received in mail the I797 with the receipt number and the online access code
  6. 12/19/2023 - Received in mail the bio-metric re-use notification
  7. 12/21/2023 - Received in mail the I797 NoA extending my green card by 48 months

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline
12 hours ago, nendu said:

Hello all,

I am currently working on my AOS forms. Instructions for various forms like I485 specify that I should type N/A for questions that does not apply to me. But when I try to type the "/" I get a pop up message saying "Enter only letter, space and hyphen. I am attaching a screenshot of the popup message. This happens both in Windows and Mac. I am using the Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. Is anyone else encountering this? Is there any workaround?

I am also facing a similar problem in I130. I have an alphanumeric I94 number. In I130, when I try to enter the alphabet, it again creates a popup error message saying only numbers are allowed. I am wondering if anyone found a workaround for that.

Also, I do not have a middle name. I am leaving that field blank right, and not put anything like N/A or None?

Thank

Hey

Everything which doesn't enter when typing it, print the rest of the form and write them properly and readable with blank ink. Make sure to use the correct version of the form which is located at the bottom left side of the form.

Good luck.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

With Acrobat Reader, we disabled JavaScript and it then allowed us to input other characters. Otherwise, print the form and write "N/A" in black ink.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 minutes ago, pigrew said:

With Acrobat Reader, we disabled JavaScript and it then allowed us to input other characters. Otherwise, print the form and write "N/A" in black ink.

This is the best tip ever. Thanks!

I-130

12/13/19 - Married in the US to US Citizen
01/26/20 - Submitted I-130 online application
01/26/20 - Received date / Receipt notice date / Priority date
05/26/20 - Approval notice date

AOS

08/06/20 - AOS (I-485, I-864, I-765, I-131) sent to Chicago lockbox through UPS
08/10/20 - USCIS received AOS documents signed by Harris

08/26/20 - Check cashed by USCIS

08/30/20 - Received text messages with receipt numbers for I-485, I-765 & I-131

09/03/20 - Received NOA1 in the mail for I-485, I-765 & I-131

10/05/20 - Received RFIE for missing I-944

10/06/20RFIE response sent to USCIS Lee's Summit's office through UPS
10/09/20 - USCIS received RFIE response
01/23/21 - Received Biometrics appointment notice

02/11/21 - Biometrics appointment (Code 3)

02/12/21 - Status changed to "Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken" (I-765)

02/17/21 - Status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced" (I-765)

02/17/21 - Status changed to "Case Was Approved" (I-765 & I-131)
02/22/21 - Status changed to "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview" (I-485)

02/25/21 - Received combo card in the mail (Flagged as lost by USPS)

03/03/21 - Received combo card in the mail
08/16/21 - Status updated to "Interview Was Scheduled" (for Sep 14)
08/25/21 - Interview was cancelled

Timeline
57 minutes ago, pigrew said:

This is indeed a great tip. I can confirm that this works. Thank you. I used the following link to figure out how to disable Javascript in case anyone else is wondering: Link showing how to disable javascript

RoC Timeline:

3. 12/12/2023 - Received "Your case received" text message from USCIS. Receiipt # starts with IOE
  5. 12/19/2023 - Received in mail the I797 with the receipt number and the online access code
  7. 12/21/2023 - Received in mail the I797 NoA extending my green card by 48 months

Timeline

I forgot to also mention: For form I-131, it generates big barcodes at the bottom of each page. They are generated with JavaScript, so you must at some point re-enable JS on that form and change some text on each page to get it to refresh the barcodes....

On 8/5/2020 at 1:30 PM, pigrew said:

I forgot to also mention: For form I-131, it generates big barcodes at the bottom of each page. They are generated with JavaScript, so you must at some point re-enable JS on that form and change some text on each page to get it to refresh the barcodes....

oh man ...  When I was reviewing the printed form before sending, I found mistakes. I corrected the form and printed ONLY the page that had the mistake and added to the existing printed forms. Looks like this has put me in trouble...I haven't received the receipt even after 40 days of submission 😌

Timeline
1 hour ago, xoom74 said:

oh man ...  When I was reviewing the printed form before sending, I found mistakes. I corrected the form and printed ONLY the page that had the mistake and added to the existing printed forms. Looks like this has put me in trouble...I haven't received the receipt even after 40 days of submission 😌

Don't worry too much about this. The barcodes only encode the data in that particular page, so it's most likely fine. The thin barcodes on most forms only have the form name and page number.

On the other hand, the A-number might be distributed from one page onto the rest of them.

Even if they reject the I131, it isn't too bad. They should accept the I485, even if they reject the I131.

It's seeming like 40 or 50 days is the processing time in Chicago. Be patient. You're supposed to be able to email the lockbox after 30 days for more info, but they often don't reply.

• 2 months later...
On 8/4/2020 at 3:18 PM, nendu said:

Hello all,

Thank

Hi Nendu,

I sent my AOS forms to USCIS couple of days back. I left my middle name blank since I don’t have a middle name. I am a bit worried since I noticed USCIS has been lately denying other forms like U visa and T Visa for not filling the middle name. Do you know if this is problem for 485 

Timeline

I did the same thing and left my middle name field blank as I don't have a middle name. My AOS packet was accepted. I don't know if that will cause a problem down the road or not but at least initially everything is okay.

RoC Timeline:

Just now, nendu said:

I did the same thing and left my middle name field blank as I don't have a middle name. My AOS packet was accepted. I don't know if that will cause a problem down the road or not but at least initially everything is okay.

Thank god. Big relief. Don’t think it would cause any issue down the road if the initial application is accepted

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.