TakeMeHome

Making K1 mission critical petition

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Hello everyone, this is my very first post here. I usually just read your discussions. 

I'm a k-1 visa applicant and it seems we are completely forgotten. Im trying to gather signatures for this White House petition to make K1 mission Critical, as those visas are being processed. 

Will you please sign it? Thank you in advance and my apologies if I've made errors on this forum. 

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/letusmarry

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It truly doesnt make any sense! Most if not all of us doing the K1 would already be married but the visa process takes so long. At this point I wonder if doing the spousal visa from the start would have been more worth it =/

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Derek Scheyer said:

It truly doesnt make any sense! Most if not all of us doing the K1 would already be married but the visa process takes so long. At this point I wonder if doing the spousal visa from the start would have been more worth it =/

I feel the same way. We did fiance because we'd end up together faster but now spousal visas are going first. I feel the universe is mocking us sigh

Timeline
14 hours ago, Annarella said:

Hi guys, you can join our fb group. Our aim is exactly to make K1 Mission Critical

(removed)

Hi thats amazing except im not on Facebook, but could you share the link there?! 

Im a twitter user! So im sharing a ton there 😁

Edited by Unlockable

*** Posts containing link to external groups removed. Due to risk of exposure of personal information please do not post direct links to social media groups on this site.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

I know you feel like you are forgotten. And I applaud you for trying to take action for the K1 action.

Here is the reason I think the K1 will be a difficult category to make mission critical. It is because it is too reliant on the marriage taking place. For example, what if the immigrant comes here and they decide that they don't want to get married after all? We have seen that scenario many times here. If an immigrant gets a visa and problems in the relationship occurs before they get married, they have no path to becoming a resident. And another issue we see on here with the K1 is the AOS. Many times we see the immigrant come to the US and get married but do not AOS because they do not have the money to do so. And even though they satisfied the 90 marriage requirement, they are still not a legal resident until they file AOS.

The K1 is classified as a nonimmigrant visa because technically, the beneficiary does not have legal resident status when they enter the US. They only have an authorization of stay for 90 days. And anything can happen in those 90 days. By contrast, with the spousal visa, they immigrant becomes a permanent resident the day they step foot in the US. So it is automatic and does not rely on a ceremony or adjustment to take place.

I hope this helps explain why the spousal visa has higher priority than the fiance visa. Too many things can happen that keeps the immigrant from becoming a LPR. So the risk would be higher especially with COVID going on and the possibility of another shut down (which may prevent the fiance from doing things like getting married and getting a job).  

I think the K1 processing will return to normal soon enough, though.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

I know you feel like you are forgotten. And I applaud you for trying to take action for the K1 action.

Here is the reason I think the K1 will be a difficult category to make mission critical. It is because it is too reliant on the marriage taking place. For example, what if the immigrant comes here and they decide that they don't want to get married after all? We have seen that scenario many times here. If an immigrant gets a visa and problems in the relationship occurs before they get married, they have no path to becoming a resident. And another issue we see on here with the K1 is the AOS. Many times we see the immigrant come to the US and get married but do not AOS because they do not have the money to do so. And even though they satisfied the 90 marriage requirement, they are still not a legal resident until they file AOS.

The K1 is classified as a nonimmigrant visa because technically, the beneficiary does not have legal resident status when they enter the US. They only have an authorization of stay for 90 days. And anything can happen in those 90 days. By contrast, with the spousal visa, they immigrant becomes a permanent resident the day they step foot in the US. So it is automatic and does not rely on a ceremony or adjustment to take place.

I hope this helps explain why the spousal visa has higher priority than the fiance visa. Too many things can happen that keeps the immigrant from becoming a LPR. So the risk would be higher especially with COVID going on and the possibility of another shut down (which may prevent the fiance from doing things like getting married and getting a job).  

Thank you so much. This was a very informative and thorough answer. 

Lots of us K1ers are in so much mental pain for being in suspense so much. I wish the officials would give us some clarity. That would give us some hope or it will let us know if we need to make changes and switch to spousal visas in order to be together sooner. 

Thank you again. We'd definitely appreciate any signatures we get 💖

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In some places, CR-1 visas are not being processed still either, despite being called mission critical in the EO. I hope we all get to be with our spouses again soon, but it doesn't seem that "mission critical" actually means anything. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Since K1s are not exempted in the PP, even though my particular Embassy (Cairo) cancelled all interviews through 9/30/2020, I don't think we (K1) will have an interview until after the first of the year.  

Edited by Jody and Misho

Timeline
2 hours ago, Jody and Misho said:

Since K1s are not exempted in the PP, even though my particular Embassy (Cairo) cancelled all interviews through 9/30/2020, I don't think we (K1) will have an interview until after the first of the year.  

Thank god its august but time cannot pass by fast enough 🥺🥺🥺

Timeline
27 minutes ago, TakeMeHome said:

Thank god its august but time cannot pass by fast enough 🥺🥺🥺

The only problem being if Trump keeps continuing the PP.......could go on endlessly.  I hope to God not.

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 8/4/2020 at 12:52 PM, Unlockable said:

I really hope so... 😭

All that's left for me is for them to issue the visa. I had the interview on March 12th and everything was supposed to be done and we had plans to get married in April... But then comes the travel ban... Talk about stumbling on the finish line...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 8/4/2020 at 10:00 AM, Jody and Misho said:

K1 is exempt from the pp 10014 and 10052.  Per the State Departments own documents.  The K1 is NOT part of the ban.

Timeline
On 9/12/2020 at 1:22 AM, royyount said:

K1 is exempt from the pp 10014 and 10052.  Per the State Departments own documents.  The K1 is NOT part of the ban.

Yes, I know that.  I'm not sure why I said "not exempted".  A month and a half has passed since I said that.  Now that some things have changed, such as the DOS bogus announcement....I don't know why only a few embassies are acting on this.  I was watching the DV2020 live on FB today, people are complaining about a few specific embassies (Cairo included) that are not open due to "local conditions" and are still not processing the DV2020. That seems to be the case also with Cairo and the K1.  While they are unable to process these due to "local conditions", they are stll processing tourist, student and athlete visas.  I am just bewildered.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.