Dags

Travelling on tourist visa whilst waiting for I-130

286 posts in this topic

Just to update everyone, I sailed through US immigration last week with an approved i130. I was flying with my spouse, and we went through the non-citizen line together, and I was asked when my return flight was, and why I wasn't staying with my spouse--to which I answered that I will once I get through the immigrant visa application process. The CBP officer seemed quite happy with that and gave me the standard 6 months entry even though I told him I was only there for a quick visit. They didn't ask for any documents, and gave me the full 6 months entry stamp even for my quick trip. For the record I am a resident of a """low fraud""" country but a citizen of a """high fraud""" one.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, welkin said:

Also to add a data point: my husband had I130 approved, waiting on NVC. We passed together through US custom preclearance  (in Calgary, Canada) without any trouble.

These comments make me hopeful. We just submitted our petition this month and my husband is coming through Dublin preclearance at the end of September for a 3 week visit. We are really hoping he has no issues and CBP lets him through.
I honestly would think that having a petition submitted would give CBP more reason not to think there would be immigration intent during said visit. I look at it like this—if someone were planning on “bypassing” and either going an illegal route or AOS once in the country, they wouldn’t have spent all this time putting the package together and paying the fee, just to immigrate illegally. But I guess that’s just my thought process!

On 7/19/2022 at 3:12 AM, maybeariadne said:

Just to update everyone, I sailed through US immigration last week with an approved i130. I was flying with my spouse, and we went through the non-citizen line together, and I was asked when my return flight was, and why I wasn't staying with my spouse--to which I answered that I will once I get through the immigrant visa application process. The CBP officer seemed quite happy with that and gave me the standard 6 months entry even though I told him I was only there for a quick visit. They didn't ask for any documents, and gave me the full 6 months entry stamp even for my quick trip. For the record I am a resident of a """low fraud""" country but a citizen of a """high fraud""" one.

Thanks for this update!!! Much appreciated and great to hear!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also an update from our side:

Went through without any issues. Were not asked about GC process or pending I-130. Had a folder ready but was not needed.

Stage: Awaiting our I-130.

Travel: Entered in SFO. First time since filing of I-130

Waiting line: We used to the non-citizen line and went together as a family.

Good luck to everyone else!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 3:32 PM, BLC said:

These comments make me hopeful. We just submitted our petition this month and my husband is coming through Dublin preclearance at the end of September for a 3 week visit. We are really hoping he has no issues and CBP lets him through.
I honestly would think that having a petition submitted would give CBP more reason not to think there would be immigration intent during said visit. I look at it like this—if someone were planning on “bypassing” and either going an illegal route or AOS once in the country, they wouldn’t have spent all this time putting the package together and paying the fee, just to immigrate illegally. But I guess that’s just my thought process!

Hey, do you have any updates on this?

I am considering changing my job to something more flexible so I can take longer breaks to the US (like 3-4 weeks instead of short 1 week ones) but I am concerned if this will be a problem at the borders with an ESTA once I file. Would love to hear what was asked and how this went!

1 hour ago, Micam said:

I am considering changing my job to something more flexible so I can take longer breaks to the US (like 3-4 weeks instead of short 1 week ones) but I am concerned if this will be a problem at the borders with an ESTA once I file.

Working is not allowed while on ESTA in the US, whether you have an I-130 pending or not.

1 hour ago, Chancy said:

Working is not allowed while on ESTA in the US, whether you have an I-130 pending or not.

I wasn't going to work - by flexibility I meant I just wanted to be able to manage my time on projects instead of working 9-5 and having a set schedule. I would much rather work weekends/evenings if it meant I could see my partner more frequently.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.