Chipz

Got laid off my job but my petition for wife got approved.

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I need help and advises. I live in New York as a green card holder and my wife and son lives in the Philippines. I lost my job and then my wife and son's petition got approved. Now I'm trying to fill up the affidavit of support I-864. I know that I will need a joint sponsor to help me with their petition which is my mom.

Now my questions are:

1. Do I still fill need to fill out a I-864 as the petitioner and to add my mom's I-864? If yes, what do I put on the question "My current individual annual income is?" Do I leave it blank? Or should I put the amount that I am getting from my unemployment claims benefit?

2. So if my mom will sponsor me, what will be our house hold size? My dad lives here in the US who is also working and my brother too. Do they all add up to the household size calculation even though they're not dependent to my mom? Would that be total of me, my wife and son, my dad and bro is total of 5?

3. Any tips and advises for our petition goes smoothly? 

Thank you very much in advance for the help!

You are still the sponsor, no matter what your income is. Answer the question about income truthfully. Multiply your weekly unemployment check by 52 - that’s your current annual income. Do not include anything like food stamps that you may be receiving. 

How many dependents does your mother claim on her tax return? Her household size is her, her husband, any dependents she claims, anyone she is already sponsoring and the intending immigrants. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Since your wife’s visa category is currently suspended, you could also delay the process at NVC stage - if things go well you find a new job quickly and safe yourself the hassle of joint sponsor. Of course it’s understandable if you want to proceed as soon as possible, but wanted to mention that option as well.

1 hour ago, JFH said:

You are still the sponsor, no matter what your income is. Answer the question about income truthfully. Multiply your weekly unemployment check by 52 - that’s your current annual income. Do not include anything like food stamps that you may be receiving. 

How many dependents does your mother claim on her tax return? Her household size is her, her husband, any dependents she claims, anyone she is already sponsoring and the intending immigrants. 

Thank you so much. She claim my 1 brother as her dependent. So I will make my I-864 form and my mom will make her own for me as join sponsor correct?

1 hour ago, redmoon24 said:

Thank you so much. She claim my 1 brother as her dependent. So I will make my I-864 form and my mom will make her own for me as join sponsor correct?

Correct. Each of you will complete your own I-864.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

On 7/19/2020 at 5:31 PM, Quarknase said:

Since your wife’s visa category is currently suspended, you could also delay the process at NVC stage - if things go well you find a new job quickly and safe yourself the hassle of joint sponsor. Of course it’s understandable if you want to proceed as soon as possible, but wanted to mention that option as well.

Hi, I just read your message now. How long is this category suspended for?

11 minutes ago, redmoon24 said:

Until at least the start of 2021.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
13 minutes ago, redmoon24 said:

The initial suspension was from April 23rd for 60 days, on June 22nd it was extended through December 31st.

I would be surprised if the suspension gets lifted under the current administration. But of course I'm hoping for said surprise :)

1 minute ago, Quarknase said:

The initial suspension was from April 23rd for 60 days, on June 22nd it was extended through December 31st.

I would be surprised if the suspension gets lifted under the current administration. But of course I'm hoping for said surprise :)

So our online petition account on USCIS won't be disqualify for not submitting any documents due to this suspension? Your idea about finding a job for now is really viable. But the problem here in new york is the jobs are gone and there's a huge unemployment going on now maybe for the whole USA. Will there be any difference if I at least submit the documents earlier now? thanks again

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
6 minutes ago, redmoon24 said:

So our online petition account on USCIS won't be disqualify for not submitting any documents due to this suspension? Your idea about finding a job for now is really viable. But the problem here in new york is the jobs are gone and there's a huge unemployment going on now maybe for the whole USA. Will there be any difference if I at least submit the documents earlier now? thanks again

If you have a joint sponsor with good income, it’s better to have the NVC process started and get documentary qualified so that once the ban is lifted, your case will already be ahead in line for interview. During that time, if you get employed, even better.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
3 minutes ago, redmoon24 said:

Could you fill out your timeline and your profile? That will help us a lot to give you better advise. What I understand from your initial post is

- Your I-130 petitions have been approved by USCIS. That means this step of the process has been completed, and USCIS is out of the picture for now. Nothing will be disqualified.

The next step is the NVC process.

-> Have you received the Welcome letters from NVC yet?

Once the cases have been created and the welcome letter was sent to you and the beneficiary, you have 12 months to pay the fees, and upload all required documents (such as the Affidavit of Support). You can allow yourself for some time and job hunt, or setup a joint sponsor if you don't want to wait. From a processing perspective it shouldn't make a big difference if you upload now, or in a couple of months, since the visa category won't be processed at the embassies until the ban has been lifted or expires.

18 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

Could you fill out your timeline and your profile? That will help us a lot to give you better advise. What I understand from your initial post is

- Your I-130 petitions have been approved by USCIS. That means this step of the process has been completed, and USCIS is out of the picture for now. Nothing will be disqualified.

The next step is the NVC process.

-> Have you received the Welcome letters from NVC yet?

Once the cases have been created and the welcome letter was sent to you and the beneficiary, you have 12 months to pay the fees, and upload all required documents (such as the Affidavit of Support). You can allow yourself for some time and job hunt, or setup a joint sponsor if you don't want to wait. From a processing perspective it shouldn't make a big difference if you upload now, or in a couple of months, since the visa category won't be processed at the embassies until the ban has been lifted or expires.

I'm in step 4. The affidavit of support. After when the petition got approved on april 15, 2020. We received a letter and the email saying. 

Thank you for your interest in immigrating to the United States of America. The Department of State's National Visa Center (NVC) received your approved immigrant visa petition from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). NVC's role is to ensure you are prepared for your immigrant visa interview at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate General, and to schedule your interview appointment.

So I already paid for the affidavit of support. Not yet for the IV fee for my spouse and son.  Thanks for being helpful. 

I want to prepare every form as smooth as possible. My mom can be my joint sponsor as she earns about 3500 a month. We would like to be together as soon as possible but of course when the suspension is lifted.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.