David_n400

Can I apply for N400

18 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I got the I-751 approval notice last week but I haven't received the green card yet. I have heard that USCIS take a few weeks to send the 10 yr Green Card( if it's lost, then I need to apply for another one).

Can I apply for N400 via online and submit the application? Or should I wait for the green card?

Regards,

David

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

You can file online ad soon as you become eligible. If you're eligible now, you can file, with or without greencard. Many people who file the N-400 haven't even gotten their i-751 approved yet. 

Upload a copy of your conditional greencard for now, and your extension letter if you want to. And your ROC approval letter if you have received it. You can always upload the non-conditional greencard later on when you've received it.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

@Scandi is exactly right. Go ahead and apply as soon as you qualify. You can add the 10 yr green card when you get it.

(We applied when allowed to do so, without having the card or even ROC approval yet, and all went well.)

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

8 hours ago, Scandi said:

You can file online ad soon as you become eligible. If you're eligible now, you can file, with or without greencard. Many people who file the N-400 haven't even gotten their i-751 approved yet. 

Upload a copy of your conditional greencard for now, and your extension letter if you want to. And your ROC approval letter if you have received it. You can always upload the non-conditional greencard later on when you've received it.

Thanks for the quick reply:)

Do you any idea how long it takes to receive the 10 yr green card? 

5 hours ago, Suze1 said:

@Scandi is exactly right. Go ahead and apply as soon as you qualify. You can add the 10 yr green card when you get it.

(We applied when allowed to do so, without having the card or even ROC approval yet, and all went well.)

Thanks 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
28 minutes ago, David_n400 said:

Thanks for the quick reply:)

Do you any idea how long it takes to receive the 10 yr green card? 

Thanks 

Normally it only takes 1-2 weeks, but right now it takes quite some time. This was posted a few days ago: 

"Without telling Congress, the administration has scaled back the printing of documents it has already promised to immigrants — including green cards, the wallet-size I.D.’s legal permanent residents must carry everywhere to prove they are in the United States lawfully.

In mid-June, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ contract ended with the company that had been printing these documents. Production was slated to be insourced, but “the agency’s financial situation,” USCIS said Thursday, prompted a hiring freeze that required it to ratchet down printing.

Some 50,000 green cards and 75,000 other employment authorization documents promised to immigrants haven’t been printed, USCIS said in a statement."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-the-trump-administration-is-turning-legal-immigrants-into-undocumented-ones/2020/07/09/15c1cbf6-c203-11ea-9fdd-b7ac6b051dc8_story.html%3foutputType=amp

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Journey ALMOST COMPLETE....

PASSPORT ARRIVED  TODAY!!!!!    YAAAAY!

Now, just the naturalization certificate, SSA update, DMV update, and TOTALLY DONE.

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

7 minutes ago, David_n400 said:

Congrats!!

means they are printing the documents :) 

Zackly!

They are working on stuff....a REALLY good thing...for everybody!

Was pleasantly surprised it arrived so quickly after approval. And we did normal processing, and normal mail delivery. Came via USPS Priority.

Married: Oct 10, 2016

N-400 Applied: Oct 11, 2019

Oath Ceremony: March 6, 2020

Passport Applied: March 10, 2019

Passport Approved: July 10, 2020

Passport Received: July 14, 2020

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

2 hours ago, Suze1 said:

Zackly!

Was pleasantly surprised it arrived so quickly after approval. And we did normal processing, and normal mail delivery. Came via USPS Priority.

Did you hire any attorney to apply for N400? 

7 minutes ago, David_n400 said:

Did you hire any attorney to apply for N400? 

Nope. Never used an attorney during the whole process - Visitor's Visa to Citizen.

VJ and applied online. Was the easiest step in the whole process.

Edited by Suze1

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
6 hours ago, Suze1 said:

Zackly!

Congrats to you.

Sorry @Suze1 but did you mix the dates of your marriage? My head cannot effectively summate your timeline and quick naturalization. It caught my attention because your naturalization just got finalized yet my N400 window just opened, yet I got married and filed 3 months before you. Just asking if maybe you erred in your timeline...nothing sinister..

To be exact, I got married in June 2016 and filed July 2016. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Timeline
51 minutes ago, Timona said:

Congrats to you.

Sorry @Suze1 but did you mix the dates of your marriage? My head cannot effectively summate your timeline and quick naturalization. It caught my attention because your naturalization just got finalized yet my N400 window just opened, yet I got married and filed 3 months before you. Just asking if maybe you erred in your timeline...nothing sinister..

To be exact, I got married in June 2016 and filed July 2016. 

check her timeline. She entered on Dec '16 with a CR visa, so she got the GC upon entry. You married and applied for AOS so you got your GC much later then she did even though you married before she did. As you know you need to be an LPR and married for 3 yrs to do the n400.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

check her timeline. She entered on Dec '16 with a CR visa, so she got the GC upon entry. You married and applied for AOS so you got your GC much later then she did even though you married before she did. As you know you need to be an LPR and married for 3 yrs to do the n400.

I know the steps / processes and agree with everything you said. However, I had already looked at her timeline and got even more confused. It says she got married 10/10/2016 and got her visa on 12/16/2016. I understand she entered with CR-1 and hence fast naturalization....Now if we go with entering on CR-1 theory, which would perfectly explain her fast naturalization, then we open another debacle. How then, was it possible to marry, file and and recieve CR-1 interview and Visa all within 2 months???😳 

You're free to send me a slap. My head might need restart 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.