Nicola and Jordan

UK Driving License - New York

10 posts in this topic

Hey,

So now that my AOS has been approved and I waiting for my GC to arrive I want to look into getting my DL here in New York (NYC). I read in their manual that you have to give them your foreign DL before they will issue you a NY one. If you want them to keep your foreign DL on file then they will but you will need to give them your NY DL back before they will give it back  to you. 

I want to keep my UK DL with me just in case I have to go back for any reason and I do not want the hassle of getting it back. Has anyone dea lt with this before who can let me know how they got on with it? 

Or am I being stupid and reading this all wrong which is likely 🤡

https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/mv21.pdf    Page 17

TIA! 

I originally got my DL in the US. When I moved back to my country (Finland), I had to give them my US license to get a Finnish license. Then I moved back to the US and got a new US license there, but they were confused and hesitent to give me one (without doing a drivers test etc) until I showed them my US learners permit to prove I got my license there. It's a hassle, I've had to spend wayyy too much time at DMV's and Finnish police stations for this issue. You might have to give it to them.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So unless you plan on moving back to the UK, you can just get an IDP to go with your US Driver's License.  And that is only if you are getting a rental and the rental company asks for one. 

https://www.tripsavvy.com/international-driving-permits-for-the-uk-1662365

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

United Kingdom does not need an IDP for an American licence. They can read English and don’t require a translation. Rental car agencies in the UK will want the US license if your address is in the US.

27 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

United Kingdom does not need an IDP for an American licence. They can read English and don’t require a translation. Rental car agencies in the UK will want the US license if your address is in the US.

Ok so giving up my UK DL is no big deal and I will just use my US DL when visiting UK

Thanks everyone !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Nicola and Jordan said:

Ok so giving up my UK DL is no big deal and I will just use my US DL when visiting UK

Thanks everyone !

I think I would say my licence is lost if I really really wanted to keep it. No experience with that since I was not asked to give mine up. But when I have hired a car at Heathrow, they require my US licence over the UK licence. (Hertz and Enterprise)

Edited by Wuozopo

1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

I think I would say my licence is lost if I really really wanted to keep it. No experience with that since I was not asked to give mine up. But when I have hired a car at Heathrow, they require my US licence over the UK licence. (Hertz and Enterprise)

Ok thanks I’ll just see what happens then when I get to it. If anything, like you said, I’ll have my US one (hopefully!) thanks again! 

• 3 weeks later...

Virginia let me keep my foreign license, so I had no issue with than. I know people have "claimed" not to have a foreign license in the past to make sure their license did not get destroyed. You could also see if it is possible to apply for a lost UK license from the US. Or just forget about the UK one, it's not like you need it when going back to visit.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 7/9/2020 at 2:19 PM, Nicola and Jordan said:

Hey,

So now that my AOS has been approved and I waiting for my GC to arrive I want to look into getting my DL here in New York (NYC). I read in their manual that you have to give them your foreign DL before they will issue you a NY one. If you want them to keep your foreign DL on file then they will but you will need to give them your NY DL back before they will give it back  to you. 

I want to keep my UK DL with me just in case I have to go back for any reason and I do not want the hassle of getting it back. Has anyone dea lt with this before who can let me know how they got on with it? 

Or am I being stupid and reading this all wrong which is likely 🤡

https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/mv21.pdf    Page 17

TIA! 

I didn't have to give up my foreign DL and no one asked me about it, to see it, if it existed etc at any point. I still use my Home country DL when I go there. And I got my US license in NYC.

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

10 hours ago, Thegirl said:

I didn't have to give up my foreign DL and no one asked me about it, to see it, if it existed etc at any point. I still use my Home country DL when I go there. And I got my US license in NYC.

Oh that's great! Thanks :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.