TYosemite

I-129F Visa Petition is running out in two weeks.

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone, 

So I recently found out that the embassy in Montreal, Canada has our petition, however they would have received it after the closed and halted all routine visa services. 

I'm a Canadian PR, my fiancé is the US Citizen Petitioner. 

I can't get through to anyone on the phone, they're all just automated messages that tell me to visit the website for more information so I resorted to emailing the embassy. 

I brought up that our I-129F petition runs out on July 15th and asked if there was any way we could send another letter of intent to marry in the hopes of an extension on the petition. 

After a week they finally got back to me and I'll quote the email response I received, 

"

Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting us.

Only at the time of the interview the Consular Officer will determine the validity of the relationship and whether or not it warrants an extension of the I-129F. Please note that the Consular Officers are not legally required to automatically extend the validity of the I-129F for every case without evaluating the merits of each application.

Due to the significant worldwide challenges related to COVID-19, we are unable to predict when we will resume routine visa services. We will review your case when we resume our operations.

For further information about suspension of routine visa services, applicants should visit the Department of State website at: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/suspension-of-routine-visa-services.html 

Thank you for your patience and cooperation."

Is there anything I can do in this situation, we were so close but hadn't received our interview date yet. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, TYosemite said:

Hey everyone, 

So I recently found out that the embassy in Montreal, Canada has our petition, however they would have received it after the closed and halted all routine visa services. 

I'm a Canadian PR, my fiancé is the US Citizen Petitioner. 

I can't get through to anyone on the phone, they're all just automated messages that tell me to visit the website for more information so I resorted to emailing the embassy. 

I brought up that our I-129F petition runs out on July 15th and asked if there was any way we could send another letter of intent to marry in the hopes of an extension on the petition. 

After a week they finally got back to me and I'll quote the email response I received, 

"

Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting us.

Only at the time of the interview the Consular Officer will determine the validity of the relationship and whether or not it warrants an extension of the I-129F. Please note that the Consular Officers are not legally required to automatically extend the validity of the I-129F for every case without evaluating the merits of each application.

Due to the significant worldwide challenges related to COVID-19, we are unable to predict when we will resume routine visa services. We will review your case when we resume our operations.

For further information about suspension of routine visa services, applicants should visit the Department of State website at: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/suspension-of-routine-visa-services.html 

Thank you for your patience and cooperation."

Is there anything I can do in this situation, we were so close but hadn't received our interview date yet. 

You and thousands are in the same boat.   They confirm at the interview , this has been the process for years 

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

You and thousands are in the same boat.   They confirm at the interview , this has been the process for years 

I saw people on here saying they were able to re-send another letter of intent to marry and received an extension. 

So I'm confused now, I just have to let it expire and re-apply and spend the thousands of dollars and wait months when we're supposed to get married in September?

Timeline
1 minute ago, TYosemite said:

I saw people on here saying they were able to re-send another letter of intent to marry and received an extension. 

So I'm confused now, I just have to let it expire and re-apply and spend the thousands of dollars and wait months when we're supposed to get married in September?

Much ado about nothing.   This is unprecedented times.  They will extend. 

YMMV

Timeline
3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Much ado about nothing.   This is unprecedented times.  They will extend. 

You think they'll extend everyones petitions that ran out during the closures?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline
Just now, TYosemite said:

Yes, it's not our fault that they aren't scheduling interviews.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, TYosemite said:

In my entire time in VJ, I have only heard of one consulate who refused to extend and they were a high fraud country 

YMMV

Timeline
14 minutes ago, emma24 said:

Yes, it's not our fault that they aren't scheduling interviews.

That makes me feel a little bit better then, my panic came from thinking I would have to reapply and pay the fees again/wait another year for approval. 

I did send a follow-up email to ask if there was any additional steps I needed to take once my petition runs out in July 15th if the consulates aren't open and have contacted an immigration lawyer just because my anxiety is getting the better of me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline
20 hours ago, TYosemite said:

That makes me feel a little bit better then, my panic came from thinking I would have to reapply and pay the fees again/wait another year for approval. 

I did send a follow-up email to ask if there was any additional steps I needed to take once my petition runs out in July 15th if the consulates aren't open and have contacted an immigration lawyer just because my anxiety is getting the better of me.

I think all we'll have to do is bring a new letter of intent to the interview and they can extend it then. Don't worry, we are all in the same boat!

22 hours ago, TYosemite said:

Yes. It's kind of what @payxibka said. :yes:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

22 hours ago, TYosemite said:

There is nothing you can do but to wait till the embassy opens then follow thier directions. I am sure you have been to the embassy website and read all there is to read about the K-1 interview process. Right? I mean that's where I would look and btw a lawyer can't move this process forward then any Tom, Richard or Harry can. It's a waste of money. If you are in such a panic and have a high anxiety level a Doctor would be better than a Lawyer. Just saying.

Relax. This will all begin to move forward again soon. I wouldn't think till August or September so, you may want to step away from VJ and enjoy your life. Good luck and stay engaged. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

23 hours ago, TYosemite said:

Yes don't worry they will extend it. It's  due to no fault of your own!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.