Boring Life

How long CR1 visa take?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
1 hour ago, Boring Life said:

WHAT! REALLY. I waited 1 year for I130.

That's where I'm at now. A year at Potomac and still waiting. Now with the processing time change, I won't even bother sending an inquiry. I will only get that tailored response anyways. Like they say, every case has its own timeline and some people are just plain lucky. This whole thing is a coin toss.

Cases that were submitted in January of this year onward appear to be moving much quicker than cases submitted in previous year(s), for largely unclear reasons. We submitted our I-130 at the very end of January, it was approved in less than 3 months, and our NVC stage took 3 weeks. So many applicants are just waiting for embassies to reopen now. But then again there are also I-130s from 2019 (and even 2018 it seems) that are still held up at the USCIS, which is wild. This is a strange time, so who really knows 🤷‍♀️.

4 hours ago, Boring Life said:

WHAT! REALLY. I waited 1 year for I130.

Look at the current wait times.

USCIS approval:

5.5 Months to 7.5 Months

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

1-4 weeks to transfer it to NVC on I-130 approval 

NVC review: 

a little over 3 months

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/nvc-timeframes.html

Estimate a month or two for the interview and medical (based on scheduling) after NVC approves it.

12-18 months is what he's looking at if everything goes smoothly. It depends on his service center and if he's not going to interview at a difficult embassy.

Again, just to clarify what I meant in my original post:

Is it possible that he will breeze through the entire process in less that 6 months? Yes.

Have most people been waiting much longer than their "estimated times", and have been waiting almost two years already? Also Yes. When people were applying in 2018 almost all cases were completed in less than a year. Now thats the outlier.

The most frustrating part of the process is the wait game, false expectations, and uncertainty. Just because thankfully people are currently getting faster approvals, and it seems to be going quicker now, shouldn't give the OP the illusion that this is likely to take less than 6-12 months. It's possible, and hopefully thats the case, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The fact that lots of other visas are currently suspended will likely help but almost all the embassies are still closed for interviews and if there is a second wave of COVID, don't expect any movement for a loooong time.

So yes, maybe it will take you only a few months, and nobody could answer that question with certainty. Get your application in as soon as you have all the correct information. Prepare in your mind that it can take 2 years or more (as you can see by many comments on this thread). Thank your lucky stars if you get a fast-pass, and keep us updated with good news :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
16 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

If it is via the Islamabad consulate, expect it to possibly take far longer due to AP.

Im going through islamabad consulate and i've seen more than 1 person write this. However, looking at some of the statistics, i don't see a major difference between processing times there vs other countries (ie. a difference of 3 months is the average). 

I am applied for my wife who hasn't travelled anywhere and doesn't have a criminal background/common name and im beginning to worry a lot. Maybe ill aggregate all cr1 petition processing times from islamabad and figure out if most of them are taking far longer. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.