culprit

B2 to visit girlfriend

23 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Sweety sweety said:

Every time you apply they have a question in the visa form ..have your visa been rejected !! And they go And look at your previous attempt ..why it got rejected ..and look for the remarks which had been written ..and they emphasis more and more in that issue ..like remark abt your not enough working years etc 

I don't think you understand:  a B visa rejection will in no way impact an IV or K-1 application, obviously, as with those visas 'immigrant intent' is expected.

10 hours ago, Sweety sweety said:

because it’s a requirement to bring with you your bank balance and employee letter at the time of interview .

It is not a requirement.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
17 hours ago, culprit said:

Hey guys. I'm just kind of overwhelmed right now after reading so many stories about B2's being rejected for non-engaged couples and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm planning on visiting my girlfriend for the first time around December so we can spend Christmas together. We've been in a long distance relationship for a few months now. My country (Uruguay) has a low refusal rate (around ~3% I believe?) but I know that mentioning a girlfriend while applying for a tourist visa might be considered a red flag (which is funny, because I don't think it's logical to apply for a K1 without meeting in person first), and they might want to be completely certain about my ties here so I don't overstay. Being an 18 year old student I don't have a stable career, I'll enroll in college here soon and I'm going to visit before classes start, so maybe that could be interpreted as an obligation to come back? My family owns property here which, I think I'll inherit some eventually, so maybe that can also be considered a strong tie?

My advise is when applying for a B2 Visa, do not mention a girlfriend that will raise flags. Just say your only coming to do tourist type things and then returning home. how long you can stay on your B2 Visa is determined by the Immigration person in the USA when you arrive at the airport. they can stamp you can only be here as little as one week to 6 months, it’s up to,them. So far my fiancé has always gotten 6 months stamped. Coming here on a B2 VIsa has no bearing on applying for a K-1 Visa.

30 minutes ago, VisaDonnie said:

My advise is when applying for a B2 Visa, do not mention a girlfriend that will raise flags. Just say your only coming to do tourist type things and then returning home.

True - there's no requirement to list who you are seeing, only why you are coming. But I would be kind of surprised if the CO didn't ask if he knew anybody in the US...how many 18 year old students suddenly want to vacation in the US by themselves?

Not that it doesn't happen by any means, but if the OP hadn't mentioned a girlfriend in their post, that would have been one of my first questions. COs hone in on that type of stuff much better than I would.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

As others have recommended, give it a shot and try.  Just have a plan B for your girlfriend to go see you in your country or meet somewhere else outside the US if you get denied.  Meeting first in person is not only a requirement for the K-1, but is good common sense before you get into a serious relationship with anyone.  Good luck!

Timeline
51 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

As others have recommended, give it a shot and try.  Just have a plan B for your girlfriend to go see you in your country or meet somewhere else outside the US if you get denied.  Meeting first in person is not only a requirement for the K-1, but is good common sense before you get into a serious relationship with anyone.  Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah we have a backup plan, she'll come here if my B2 gets denied. Do you guys know if one visit is enough to apply for the K1? I've read a lot of conflicting opinions about that.

3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Also be very clear that the “do not mention girlfriend” advice does not equate to “lie to the interviewing officer”. If they ask, you must be truthful. 

Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I feel they'll ask even if I do not mention her myself, lying hasn't crossed my mind because I know that CO's aren't stupid and I want to be as transparent as possible. I'm just worried that over sharing information will hurt my chances. How should I handle that?

18 minutes ago, culprit said:

Thanks! Yeah we have a backup plan, she'll come here if my B2 gets denied. Do you guys know if one visit is enough to apply for the K1? I've read a lot of conflicting opinions about that.

Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I feel they'll ask even if I do not mention her myself, lying hasn't crossed my mind because I know that CO's aren't stupid and I want to be as transparent as possible. I'm just worried that over sharing information will hurt my chances. How should I handle that?

Answer what is asked truthfully and do not volunteer more information than what is asked.

Also, you’re 18. Slow down on the K1, huh? Regardless of age, get to know your girlfriend before leaping in.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.