Prisonmate

Are K1 Visa allow to travel to the USA?

132 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 7/3/2020 at 1:31 AM, praisejourney said:

Another bit of advice is make sure to go to your local municipality and get a health cert for everyone making the trip even the driver. It is only good for a single trip. It takes an hour to 2 hours to obtain it. Also, when you are travel make sure to download your GPS maps offline in case you run out of load or something.

Hello everyone. It's been a while. I'm happy for those who are now in the US with their fiance's. We're praying for a smooth travel too. So much cancellations and rebookings done and we get confirmation at long last. We will fly to manila from Gensan this coming July 20, stay at nearby hotel for 2nights and on July 22 we will be flying from manila to Incheon then to LAX. The  from LAX to chicago. We got our medical clearance certificate and travel pass authority. It took us 1day to finish. I'm bringing my 5y.o son with me. They said that below 18y.o are not allowed to travel. But since my son is included in he has K2 visa then they gave him a medical clearance. But not on the travel pass. Hopefully God willing since travel ban is lifted already we pray for a smooth transition. I need your prayers guys. Thank you

Timeline
11 hours ago, Esterlyn said:

Hello everyone. It's been a while. I'm happy for those who are now in the US with their fiance's. We're praying for a smooth travel too. So much cancellations and rebookings done and we get confirmation at long last. We will fly to manila from Gensan this coming July 20, stay at nearby hotel for 2nights and on July 22 we will be flying from manila to Incheon then to LAX. The  from LAX to chicago. We got our medical clearance certificate and travel pass authority. It took us 1day to finish. I'm bringing my 5y.o son with me. They said that below 18y.o are not allowed to travel. But since my son is included in he has K2 visa then they gave him a medical clearance. But not on the travel pass. Hopefully God willing since travel ban is lifted already we pray for a smooth transition. I need your prayers guys. Thank you

Praying for you guys! I read on PhilStar that they are opening things up for tourism. It's really encouraging to see articles like this: 
https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/07/07/2026281/non-essential-trips-abroad-allowed-tourism-still-banned-palace

Can't wait to hear your success story!!!  I still would love to setup a Skype celebration party for September.  Let us know as soon as your son and fiancee land!!   You guys are almost there now! How exciting!! 

Edited by praisejourney

Timeline
11 hours ago, Esterlyn said:

And you guys have your CFO also completed?

Timeline
28 minutes ago, praisejourney said:

And you guys have your CFO also completed?

Yes. We did. We have our temporary certificate but yesterday we received our stickers. God is good. Im praying and praying that everything goes well. 

And yes we want to share our success stories and we will have a celebration and hope to know you all as well. 

Timeline

God is so good! He saw us through every step. Everything went perfectly and I know it will for you too!

That would be awesome! Let's plan on it! I will send you my Facebook as well.

Just so excited for you guys!!! Almost time to update your timeline with arrived in the US!!

Praise God also about your CFO. You guys are all set to go. Make sure also to protect your sealed packet, never open it! :)

Looking forward to you updates!!!

Timeline
1 hour ago, praisejourney said:

God is so good! He saw us through every step. Everything went perfectly and I know it will for you too!

That would be awesome! Let's plan on it! I will send you my Facebook as well.

Just so excited for you guys!!! Almost time to update your timeline with arrived in the US!!

Praise God also about your CFO. You guys are all set to go. Make sure also to protect your sealed packet, never open it! :)

Looking forward to you updates!!!

Thank you praisejourney. May I know aside from our visa packet, passport visa, iterinary, want else do I need to bring if incase. Thank you in advance. I'll send you a private message

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Just an update to help others from the Philippines to the USA. My fiancee left Mactan Airport to Manila International for a layover flight to San Francisco. She got her Travel Pass and Health Certificate and hired a private car to take her to the airport. Taxi and GRAB (Ride sharing app) were not operating in Cebu City. She got there way early, more than three hours before departure time so she waited outside.

The ticket agent for PAL did questioned her about her VISA (K1). The agent had to get her manager or supervisor to approve if K1 visa holders were allowed to leave. Whoever they paged to the ticket counter, gave the okay and my fiancee got checked in. 

From there on it was smooth sailing. The planes left on time. She got her luggage at Manila Airport for visual inspection and rechecked in. No more interviews or questions about why she was going to the USA. The plane arrived on time in San Francisco. My fiancee said the custom agent (Female) was very nice and friendly. 

We got married via Video Conference with the County Clerk. You have to make an appointment online for the ceremony at least 72 hours ahead after submitting the marriage license application online.

Next was the Social Security Number project. This used to be simple before the corvid virus pandemic. Just go to the office in person and apply for the SSN. Now the Social Security Offices are closed. You have two choices to get SSN. One is to mail in the Application with Passport and I-94 printout. The other is to have USCIS process the SSN for you when you submit the EAD application. We decided to mail in the passport and application because we would get her SSN faster by applying directly to the Social Security Administration. There are many things we can't do here without her having a SSN. My company health insurance requires a SSN from her, for example. Opening her own bank account is another example. Many members voiced their concern about mailing in their passport. Yes, there is a risk. However, you can mail it via register mail for comfort. I feel confident the Social Security Office will take care of the passport and send it back to us as soon as they can since it is normal process now.

Waiting for the SSN after filing the EAD application would take much longer; maybe two more month or longer.

In the meanwhile, we did get her a CA ID card from the Department of Motor Vehicle. However, she got it because the person helping her was very understanding and went out the way to help her. My wife did not have any billings with her name on it and she has not received her SSN yet. She only showed her passport and I-94 form and a copy of the marriage license application. She had a copy of my utilities billing under my name.  The person made an exception to the rule and processed her for an identification card. :)

So hopefully, she will get her SSN in a couple of weeks so I can add her to my health Insurance.

Stay safe and I hope other members will soon have their love ones with them soon.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 7/25/2020 at 2:20 PM, Prisonmate said:

The ticket agent for PAL did questioned her about her VISA (K1). The agent had to get her manager or supervisor to approve if K1 visa holders were allowed to leave. Whoever they paged to the ticket counter, gave the okay and my fiancee got checked in. 

Congratulations!

I don't know if you were grandfathered in before the latest restriction, or K-1s are still allowed under the newest restriction: https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/downloads/2020/07jul/20200721-IATF-RESOLUTION-NO-57.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

UPDATE on getting the SSN.

On July 13th, I mailed a copy of my fiancee passport bio-page and K1 Visa Stamp with application and printed I-94 form.

On July 21st, I received everything back from SSN local office saying they need the original documents. On July 24th, I mailed application again with original passport.

Today, August 7th, I received everything back (including passport) with another note saying I need to call to make an appointment. I called the number on the note and it was invalid.

I googled my local SS Office number and called them. Believe it or not, I actually got hold of someone to talk to within 5 minutes. I explained I got a note from them saying to make an appointment. However, the agent I spoke to said I can only make an appointment if it is a dire situation like my finance has a job offer or is working. I explained she needs a SSN so I can add her to my health insurance.

She told my contact information and the reason I stated the need for the SSN. The agent said she will forward it to a Supervisor and they can decide if the reason is dire enough to process her SS application. It can take up to two weeks before the Supervisor will contact me.

My recommendation for other members is to not mail the passport with application for SSN. I wasted a whole month. I should of called first on the 13th of June and explained I need a SSN for my fiancee for health insurance purposes.  Then wait two weeks before the Supervisor calls me to setup an appointment.

The Social Security Admin don't understand how important a SSN is needed in the USA to function. Without the SSN, I cannot add my future wife to my health insurance, pension death beneficiary, bank accounts, etc. 

I'm back to square one and waiting now for the Social Security Supervisor to contact me. :(

🥴

20 minutes ago, Prisonmate said:

UPDATE on getting the SSN.

On July 13th, I mailed a copy of my fiancee passport bio-page and K1 Visa Stamp with application and printed I-94 form.

On July 21st, I received everything back from SSN local office saying they need the original documents. On July 24th, I mailed application again with original passport.

Today, August 7th, I received everything back (including passport) with another note saying I need to call to make an appointment. I called the number on the note and it was invalid.

I googled my local SS Office number and called them. Believe it or not, I actually got hold of someone to talk to within 5 minutes. I explained I got a note from them saying to make an appointment. However, the agent I spoke to said I can only make an appointment if it is a dire situation like my finance has a job offer or is working. I explained she needs a SSN so I can add her to my health insurance.

She told my contact information and the reason I stated the need for the SSN. The agent said she will forward it to a Supervisor and they can decide if the reason is dire enough to process her SS application. It can take up to two weeks before the Supervisor will contact me.

My recommendation for other members is to not mail the passport with application for SSN. I wasted a whole month. I should of called first on the 13th of June and explained I need a SSN for my fiancee for health insurance purposes.  Then wait two weeks before the Supervisor calls me to setup an appointment.

The Social Security Admin don't understand how important a SSN is needed in the USA to function. Without the SSN, I cannot add my future wife to my health insurance, pension death beneficiary, bank accounts, etc. 

I'm back to square one and waiting now for the Social Security Supervisor to contact me. :(

🥴

I added my wife to my company health insurance plan, Aetna, without an SS#...guess depends on the provider

Timeline
1 hour ago, Clarks2021 said:

I added my wife to my company health insurance plan, Aetna, without an SS#...guess depends on the provider

Yes, unfortunately my health insurance is with Kaiser Permamente in California.

It is what it is. Good for you that you were able to add your wife to your health insurance. :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 hours ago, Prisonmate said:

Yes, unfortunately my health insurance is with Kaiser Permamente in California.

It is what it is. Good for you that you were able to add your wife to your health insurance. :)

I gave the insurance company a placeholder SSN.  Worked for me 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.