Jump to content
Sarasota

N400 with pending i-751

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hey all

 

I am considering applying for citizenship when I am eligible next month. But my dilemma is I feel like my ROC is due for approval in maybe 3-4 months.

 

My questions are

 

1) If my ROC is on track to be approved in 3-4 months, would the N400 push this back?

 

2) Would I be on an extension letter until a possible combo interview, or would a 10 year green card arrive before this?

 

I am on the fence because I would like to have the physical green card, so am thinking about waiting a few months until I apply. But n400 is the end goal...

 

Thanks, any advice is appreciated!


N-400 Timeline

March 16 2021 - Interview & same day Oath Ceremony, Ft. Myers FL - Officially a US citizen!

February 8 2021 - Interview Scheduled for March 16th

January 20 2021 - Received Biometric Reuse Letter

September 1 2020 - Filed Online

 

ROC Timeline

December 14 2020 - Green Card Received

December 12 2020 - Approval Notice Received

December 8 2020 - Approval Email, Case Status Updated

November 4 2019 - Completed Biometric at USCIS Tampa

October 26 2019 - Received Biometric Appointment Letter - Scheduled Nov 4th

July 25 2019 - Received 18 Month Extension Letter

July 23 2019 - Check cashed

July 22 2019 - Text notification, #YSC Potomac

July 17 2019 - Packet delivered

July 15 2019 - Packet mailed to Dallas


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
47 minutes ago, Sarasota said:

Hey all

 

I am considering applying for citizenship when I am eligible next month. But my dilemma is I feel like my ROC is due for approval in maybe 3-4 months.

 

My questions are

 

1) If my ROC is on track to be approved in 3-4 months, would the N400 push this back?

 

2) Would I be on an extension letter until a possible combo interview, or would a 10 year green card arrive before this?

 

I am on the fence because I would like to have the physical green card, so am thinking about waiting a few months until I apply. But n400 is the end goal...

 

Thanks, any advice is appreciated!

1.  Not based on our experience.  We applied for N400 on December 30 while ROC was pending.  Ended up having our ROC interview on January 9th and now have a 10 year green card.  

2.  You will get an extension letter until you have an interview and there is no guarantee it will be a combo interview, especially with the delays due to COVID-19.  Some people have gotten a 10 year green card before then.

 

Our goal is citizenship, therefore we applied while ROC was pending.  We didn't see any reason to wait.   Now waiting for Naturalization interview and expecting it to happen sometime this summer.   


N-400

09/25/2020  Interviewed at Ft. Myers, FL in the morning, approved, and had Oath Ceremony in the afternoon.

Passport

09/28/2020  Applied for US Passport & Passport Card

10/01/2020  US Passport in process. 

11/05/2020  Requested & paid for passport expedite

11/10/2020  US Passport Shipped

11/12/2020  US passport, passport card, and Naturalization Certificate all arrived today.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, gregcrs2 said:

1.  Not based on our experience.  We applied for N400 on December 30 while ROC was pending.  Ended up having our ROC interview on January 9th and now have a 10 year green card.  

2.  You will get an extension letter until you have an interview and there is no guarantee it will be a combo interview, especially with the delays due to COVID-19.  Some people have gotten a 10 year green card before then.

 

Our goal is citizenship, therefore we applied while ROC was pending.  We didn't see any reason to wait.   Now waiting for Naturalization interview and expecting it to happen sometime this summer.   

Thanks for the reply!


N-400 Timeline

March 16 2021 - Interview & same day Oath Ceremony, Ft. Myers FL - Officially a US citizen!

February 8 2021 - Interview Scheduled for March 16th

January 20 2021 - Received Biometric Reuse Letter

September 1 2020 - Filed Online

 

ROC Timeline

December 14 2020 - Green Card Received

December 12 2020 - Approval Notice Received

December 8 2020 - Approval Email, Case Status Updated

November 4 2019 - Completed Biometric at USCIS Tampa

October 26 2019 - Received Biometric Appointment Letter - Scheduled Nov 4th

July 25 2019 - Received 18 Month Extension Letter

July 23 2019 - Check cashed

July 22 2019 - Text notification, #YSC Potomac

July 17 2019 - Packet delivered

July 15 2019 - Packet mailed to Dallas


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Timeline

Tampa is pretty fast so if I were in your position, I would just apply. You can just ask them later on when you get the interview letter if this is going to be a joint interview if it comes to that point. One thing that you don't want to do is just show up for the interview without asking because they might just cancel it instead of having a joint one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, xyz12345 said:

Tampa is pretty fast so if I were in your position, I would just apply. You can just ask them later on when you get the interview letter if this is going to be a joint interview if it comes to that point. One thing that you don't want to do is just show up for the interview without asking because they might just cancel it instead of having a joint one.

Thank you!


N-400 Timeline

March 16 2021 - Interview & same day Oath Ceremony, Ft. Myers FL - Officially a US citizen!

February 8 2021 - Interview Scheduled for March 16th

January 20 2021 - Received Biometric Reuse Letter

September 1 2020 - Filed Online

 

ROC Timeline

December 14 2020 - Green Card Received

December 12 2020 - Approval Notice Received

December 8 2020 - Approval Email, Case Status Updated

November 4 2019 - Completed Biometric at USCIS Tampa

October 26 2019 - Received Biometric Appointment Letter - Scheduled Nov 4th

July 25 2019 - Received 18 Month Extension Letter

July 23 2019 - Check cashed

July 22 2019 - Text notification, #YSC Potomac

July 17 2019 - Packet delivered

July 15 2019 - Packet mailed to Dallas


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your file is at the field office or actively being reviewed while you file the N400, it will delay things somewhat. N400 appears to have priority and they will pull your file to start that. If your file is waiting in the box for it's turn, it will speed up things as they will pull it and start reviewing the N400 before they started on the ROC.

After completing the initial N400 review your file will make its way to the field office where they often work both petitions at the same time (leading to the combo interview). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My personal story is yes. I applied for I-751 in Oct, 2017 and N400 in Oct 2018. I'm still waiting. I was scheduled for a combo interview this March but it was cancelled. My local office is Seattle. Many combo filers from Seattle are having the same issue. Recently they have been getting I-751 approved without a combo interview, after 2.5-3+ years since initial filing. People from Seattle who only applied for I-751 in 2017 were approved in 2018 and early 2019.

 

If you feel that your I-751 is going to be approved soon, wait for the approval and then apply for N400. There really is no need to risk it. But again other offices might be different.


2015-03-23 AOS filed

2015-12-29 AOS approved

2017-10-03 I-751 filed

2018-10-02 N400 filed

2020-07-16 I-751 & N400 approved. Sworn in as a US citizen.

2020-07-16 Registered to vote & applied for passport

2020-07-20 Voted!

 

#VoteLikeYourLifeDependsOnIt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...