8bithearts

Visa Interview at London Embassy

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
5 hours ago, Jonny_43 said:

Hi everyone, 

I finally received a slightly more clear (though it's not good news) email response from the embassy in London. 

They have quoted the update from the embassy website ( https://uk.usembassy.gov/information-for-nonimmigrant-visa-applicants-following-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak/ ) but as you see the've added the words "including K1" ... I was hoping the K1 would be allowed after the travel ban was lifted, but this makes it seem as though the K1 is included in the list of visas not being issued until Dec 31 due to the Presidential Proclamation ... 

Not sure what to do next. My interview was scheduled March 18, wedding set for September 26th. Sadly it isn't looking good from this response. We can only hope that they amend the EO, that I believe they review every 2 weeks (I think I saw this somewhere, may be wrong), to allow the K1 visa to become exempt from the EO. 

656272370_Screenshot2020-06-24at15_30_58.thumb.png.a99460222fa22102248f3fa99a07834e.png

That is so frustrating. Please consider signing and sharing this petition https://www.change.org/p/robert-wood-johnson-robert-wood-johnson-us-embassy-london-to-process-k1-visas-now?fbclid=IwAR1uJo47_TrZhGGNgU1nGDIY5eX3raVd90sLu9mDkj_YOY4XcLLf919uvEk

it lays out that we are not part of the immigration ban and asks for the ambassador’s help.

6 hours ago, Jonny_43 said:

Hi everyone, 

I finally received a slightly more clear (though it's not good news) email response from the embassy in London. 

They have quoted the update from the embassy website ( https://uk.usembassy.gov/information-for-nonimmigrant-visa-applicants-following-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak/ ) but as you see the've added the words "including K1" ... I was hoping the K1 would be allowed after the travel ban was lifted, but this makes it seem as though the K1 is included in the list of visas not being issued until Dec 31 due to the Presidential Proclamation ... 

Not sure what to do next. My interview was scheduled March 18, wedding set for September 26th. Sadly it isn't looking good from this response. We can only hope that they amend the EO, that I believe they review every 2 weeks (I think I saw this somewhere, may be wrong), to allow the K1 visa to become exempt from the EO. 

656272370_Screenshot2020-06-24at15_30_58.thumb.png.a99460222fa22102248f3fa99a07834e.png

Can you not clarify to them that a K1 visa is a non-immigrant visa by law, even if the embassy processes it as an immigrant visa. US embassies in several other countries have made official statements saying that K1 visas are not affected by any proclamations thus far and that is in line with the actual wording of the proclamations. What the London embassy is doing here is misclassifying K1 visas as immigrant visas.

Timeline
9 hours ago, Jonny_43 said:

Hi everyone, 

This is the response I received. 

Screenshot_20200624-183505.png

Surely that is no reason not to process though as you can just go to a country that doesnt have US travel restrictions for 15+ days before you enter the US. That way you are in compliance with the proclamation as it only suspends entry of those where were in the UK in the last 14 days not UK residents/citizens specifically.

Timeline
59 minutes ago, spikes746 said:

Surely that is no reason not to process though as you can just go to a country that doesnt have US travel restrictions for 15+ days before you enter the US. That way you are in compliance with the proclamation as it only suspends entry of those where were in the UK in the last 14 days not UK residents/citizens specifically.

That's what I would have thought - but guess that's harder for them to document, so easiest way is just stop giving out the visas until they are open to travel again. Annoying, but seems to be the case. I am really really hoping that after July 4th (UK going into final phase of reopening the country) the embassy will surely start to open up... hopefully ... 

2 hours ago, Jonny_43 said:

That's what I would have thought - but guess that's harder for them to document, so easiest way is just stop giving out the visas until they are open to travel again. Annoying, but seems to be the case. I am really really hoping that after July 4th (UK going into final phase of reopening the country) the embassy will surely start to open up... hopefully ... 

Maybe but techically all you need to present at the US border is a boarding pass from UK to the non-restricted country and a dated border entry stamp in the non-restricted country. It is not that hard really. Hopefully yes July 4th will spur a change, however bureaucracy is a slow moving machine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
10 hours ago, DesiJase said:

This is the response I received. 

Screenshot_20200624-183505.png

Is this twitter?...can you please send me the link to this response?  I am presently talking with the embassy in Frankfurt 

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

What it basically means is that K1 can only be issued when routine visa services resume. Spouses and children of US citizens are a priority for now. My gues is K1 stands alongside student visas with the possibility of being issued when embassies open.

Another angle to it is Sec. 4.  Implementation and Enforcement.  (a)  The consular officer shall determine, in his or her discretion, whether a nonimmigrant has established his or her eligibility for an exception in section 3(b) of this proclamation.

Source:https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspending-entry-aliens-present-risk-u-s-labor-market-following-coronavirus-outbreak/

Gives embassies the right to determine if they will issue certain kinds of non immigrant visas including K1 or not. 

acb.JPG

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Timeline
11 hours ago, Sparkle Sparkle said:

My gues is K1 stands alongside student visas with the possibility of being issued when embassies open.

Another angle to it is Sec. 4.  Implementation and Enforcement.  (a)  The consular officer shall determine, in his or her discretion, whether a nonimmigrant has established his or her eligibility for an exception in section 3(b) of this proclamation.

Source:https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspending-entry-aliens-present-risk-u-s-labor-market-following-coronavirus-outbreak/

Gives embassies the right to determine if they will issue certain kinds of non immigrant visas including K1 or not. 

acb.JPG

I would go with it being a possibility with student visas. I don’t think the above allows embassies to decide if K1s are included, I take it more that if you are one of the listed banned visas, they decide if you can enter due to qualifying as an exception, eg parent of a under 21 child in US.

but who knows, it’s quite messy right now! 

So I obsessively check the US Embassy website -- they just updated it a little while ago and now has this in the FAQ

image.png.dcb4e5a4739e6192609c1fa564424547.png

Correct me if I am wrong but this is the first time I have seen that statement....usually they just say "We will resume services as soon as possible" or something like that. Does not bode well. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, shallot343 said:

So I obsessively check the US Embassy website -- they just updated it a little while ago and now has this in the FAQ

Correct me if I am wrong but this is the first time I have seen that statement....usually they just say "We will resume services as soon as possible" or something like that. Does not bode well. 

I was quite impressed with how clear they’ve finally put stuff on the website Lol 

34 minutes ago, shallot343 said:

It is concerning, I am at a loss as to why this is the case when lockdown is easing in the country.  From 4th you can go to a pub, get your hair cut, see the animals in the zoo but no interviews and if I have been informed correctly as I haven't been inside there they already conduct these behind screens pre covid-19.  I just cannot see the reasons why they wouldn't be able to interview for the visa types that are allowed to enter the US

Edited by 8bithearts

3 minutes ago, 8bithearts said:

It is concerning, I am at a loss as to why this is the case when lockdown is easing in the country.  From 4th you can go to a pub, get your hair cut, see the animals in the zoo but no interviews and if I have been informed correctly as I haven't been inside there they already conduct these behind screens pre covid-19.  I just cannot see the reasons why they wouldn't be able to interview for the visa types that are allowed to enter the US

I agree! I have been to the embassy in London for a passport renewal while I lived there and there are plastic barriers between the agents and visitors already, plus major security and turnstiles etc.  If you can go to the pub you should certainly be able to go to an embassy appointment!  I have also noticed that a lot of the London K1 interviews for July and August have been cancelled and now they are unable to reschedule (which is new-- there have been slots a few months out for weeks now).

My partner, who is ever the optimist, thinks that the embassy just got sick of people asking when they would open so they added that to the FAQ, but I think it is more sinister. Concerned they may have gotten guidance from DOS that they won't be opening this summer at all... (maybe due to the ongoing travel restrictions). I really hope I am proved wrong and just end up looking like a conspiracy nut!

1 hour ago, shallot343 said:

For what it’s worth, that’s been there for at least the last week.

I don’t think much has changed this week in terms of their plans (or lack of) to start interviews. Hopefully next week will bring more clarity!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.