Joha1976

Marriage in Colombia ir USA? Matrimonio en Colombia o uSA?

4 posts in this topic

My boyfriend and I have been living together in Colombia three years ago. Now we decided to get married because he want me to be able to move to USA somewhere down the road. He doesn't have his papers here to get marry in Colombia, so we are kinda lost about what option would request less time or money..Appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He will need his papers to be able to move to the US so suggest he focuses on getting them.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Joha1976 said:

My boyfriend and I have been living together in Colombia three years ago. Now we decided to get married because he want me to be able to move to USA somewhere down the road. He doesn't have his papers here to get marry in Colombia, so we are kinda lost about what option would request less time or money..Appreciate any thoughts or advice.

DCF is faster, although things are currently shutdown.

I don't know what he's missing but it can't be much, a birth certificate? (vital records)

Can he order it online and have someone in the states send it?

It'll probably need an apostile and translation.

You can also pay companies to do it for you, just more money.

The other option.

Are you allowed entry into the US?

If you are you can get married there and then return to Colombia and start the process.

If you're not in a rush it may not matter.

1 hour ago, Babu Frik said:

DCF is faster

DCF is only an option in limited circumstances: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-6-part-b-chapter-3

2 hours ago, Joha1976 said:

He doesn't have his papers here to get marry in Colombia

What does he need to marry in Colombia?

2 hours ago, Joha1976 said:

so we are kinda lost about what option would request less time or money..

Do you already have a B-1/B-2 visa? If you have one (or get one) you can marry in the US and then return to Colombia. You can then do the IR-1/CR-1 visa process when you want to immigrate to US:

Otherwise, look into the K-1 visa process when you want to immigrate to US: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html

Edited by HRQX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.