StellaGB1

Education equivalency

12 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has used a service such NACES to evaluate their UK education, particularly GCSEs, are they equivalent to a high school diploma? I'm a bit worried about that section on the I-1944 and I find such conflicting information online. I have 9 GCSEs all C and above. I also have an Access to HE diploma in nursing and midwifery, I imagine it carries little weight in the US and I don't even plan on doing nursing anymore but looking ahead at the I-944, should include that? it is my highest level of education and, being Level 3, is technically equivalent to A-Levels (although even I would argue it isn't, despite it getting me into all the unis I applied for) 

Edited by StellaGB1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Unlikely US Employer would be that interested and if they were they would want to use their nominated one. Not aware of such a need for the I 944.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Unlikely US Employer would be that interested and if they were they would want to use their nominated one. Not aware of such a need for the I 944.

On the I 944 I need to put whether I have the equivalent to a high school diploma and I find such conflicting information as to whether GCSEs are an equivalent so I was more curious as to whether someone’s actually used an equivalency service that said GCSEs are/aren’t equivalent. On the instructions for the I 944 it does say that as proof you should use a service like NACES but I’ve read that some people have  just sent copies of their GCSEs etc.  It’s such a new thing it’s difficult to find much information on it. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
10 hours ago, StellaGB1 said:

On the I 944 I need to put whether I have the equivalent to a high school diploma and I find such conflicting information as to whether GCSEs are an equivalent so I was more curious as to whether someone’s actually used an equivalency service that said GCSEs are/aren’t equivalent. On the instructions for the I 944 it does say that as proof you should use a service like NACES but I’ve read that some people have  just sent copies of their GCSEs etc.  It’s such a new thing it’s difficult to find much information on it. 

I can only speak for my experience so far and no one else, i was in the first group of filers that had to fill in the i-944 and had the same question. After much hassle i just sent in copies of all my GCSE certificates without the equivelency and everything has been accepted. No RFE so far and its been 56 days.  I know of another filer who sent in all her certificates including nursing diploma without the equivelency and they have been accepted and no RFE either. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

My gut feeling has always been that paying a service for GCSE/high school diploma was going to be much ado about nothing. In the US, it’s typically advanced degrees that might need some service for evaluation.  Now there’s some evidence trickling in from people like @brainless69 showing so far so good without paying a service. Good for them being pioneers and testing the system with their common sense.

7 hours ago, brainless69 said:

I can only speak for my experience so far and no one else, i was in the first group of filers that had to fill in the i-944 and had the same question. After much hassle i just sent in copies of all my GCSE certificates without the equivelency and everything has been accepted. No RFE so far and its been 56 days.  I know of another filer who sent in all her certificates including nursing diploma without the equivelency and they have been accepted and no RFE either. 

Thank you. It’s a while till I file my I-944 but I’m trying to prepare ahead for every step. The biggest issue I have is finding out whether my GCSEs = high school diploma. There’s no solid yes or no that I can find, hence why I was asking if anyone’s had theirs evaluated. The general consensus seems to be that they are equivalent though. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, StellaGB1 said:

Thank you. It’s a while till I file my I-944 but I’m trying to prepare ahead for every step. The biggest issue I have is finding out whether my GCSEs = high school diploma. There’s no solid yes or no that I can find, hence why I was asking if anyone’s had theirs evaluated. The general consensus seems to be that they are equivalent though. 

yep it is the equivelent of a high school diploma. I would say read over everything and then read through everythign again. Make sure you have the latest copies of the forms when you file as they change them and deny people. 

good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nobody really bothers too much about a HSD, I just checked yes and if asked more used the term equivalent, never had anybody raise an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 1 year later...
Timeline

In this context "equivalency" doesn't mean are the qualifications the same.

What it's asking is "did you complete high school on which ever country you went to high school in"

So the answer is yes, GCSEs would be equivalent to US High School Diploma.

On 5/29/2021 at 1:17 PM, Briottos said:

I once looked for a service to assess my education and never received a proper answer.

As for the quality of a certain assessment and another, it is a difficult thing. Recently I was looking for a quality service for writing APA-style papers and could not find it, then finding the site I was very happy. Similarly, with this system, it is very difficult to find quality support just when you need it. However, thank you that there are good forums where all share experiences.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.