CristianB

I-864 (merged topics)

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hello everyone,

We had our I-130 approved in an unexpected 3 months and 4 days since filling date and got caught a little by surprise as I am now preparing the affidavit of support and have some challenges as a self-employed.

Hopefully the ones that went through he same steps can help us out  answering a few questions. I would really appreciate it.

1. As a self-employed sponsor do I need to send the tax returns (showing my schedule C and D), the tax transcripts with the I-864 or both?
  2. I have two different steady sources of self-employment income for the past 4-5 years both 1099 and filed together on same schedule C. First income is as an independent contractor for a larger corporation and second is income on my LLC as an Amazon seller. Two different industries that have nothing to do with each other. Do I need to attach a letter explaining more detailed the nature of each “job” or they will figure it out from the returns? Adjusted gross income is more than sufficient and showing increase year over year.
  3. Do I also need to attach my 1099’s and the signed contracts with the company I am contracting for?
  4. Do I need to submit bank statements to prove income for the current year (2020) ?

Thank you,

Chris

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 6.27.20 PM.JPG

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Adjusted Gross income is used by people who file the 1040 EZ.  For you, the current income and tax return income figures will come from the total income line.  For 2018, that is line 6.  Line 22 for 2017 and earlier.

A copy of a complete tax return would include everything you would mail if you were filing by mail, so all schedules and 1099s.  

All the explanation you need can be dealt with on the occupation line in the form itself.  Just indicate an occupation & online seller.  Whether to send more than one tax return is a judgment call.  If they make you look better financially, sure.  If the latest is the best and all the numbers are good for the previous two years, I would tend to send only the latest one.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
11 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Adjusted Gross income is used by people who file the 1040 EZ.  For you, the current income and tax return income figures will come from the total income line.  For 2018, that is line 6.  Line 22 for 2017 and earlier.

A copy of a complete tax return would include everything you would mail if you were filing by mail, so all schedules and 1099s.  

All the explanation you need can be dealt with on the occupation line in the form itself.  Just indicate an occupation & online seller.  Whether to send more than one tax return is a judgment call.  If they make you look better financially, sure.  If the latest is the best and all the numbers are good for the previous two years, I would tend to send only the latest one.

Thank you for your prompt answers!

2019 it's my best so far but since I recently filed, the tax transcript it's not available on the IRS yet and I don't want to wait a few more weeks for it to be available; Can I just send the return documents prepared by my cpa?

Also isn't required as a self-employed  to prove incoming income for the current year as well (like bank statements ) ? Didn't see anything about that on the form or instructions, but read that it's indicated.

Thanks again,

Chris

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
9 minutes ago, CristianB said:

Thank you for your prompt answers!

2019 it's my best so far but since I recently filed, the tax transcript it's not available on the IRS yet and I don't want to wait a few more weeks for it to be available; Can I just send the return documents prepared by my cpa?

Also isn't required as a self-employed  to prove incoming income for the current year as well (like bank statements ) ? Didn't see anything about that on the form or instructions, but read that it's indicated.

Thanks again,

Chris

Send in the complete copy of the return and have your spouse take the transcript to the interview.

Your 2019 federal tax return IS your evidence of current income.  Until it appears on a tax return, it's not income.  It's "revenue".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hello,

Can I attach an electronic signature when filling form I-864 on my computer or do I need to print the form after filling it, then hand sign it, scan it and upload it ?

Thank you

3 minutes ago, CristianB said:

Hello,

Can I attach an electronic signature when filling form I-864 on my computer or do I need to print the form after filling it, then hand sign it, scan it and upload it ?

Thank you

Electronic signatures are not accepted.   Print, sign and scan is ok.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
1 minute ago, Paul & Mary said:

Electronic signatures are not accepted.   Print, sign and scan is ok.

Thank you Paul! I have another question I was thinking to open a new topic, but hoping I get an answer from you here :)

When preparing the DS-260  Immigrant Visa Application, the  applicant’s supporting civil documents need to be translated in english? The applicant is not present in the US and the interview will take place at the US Embassy/Consulate in Bogota, Colombia.

1 hour ago, CristianB said:

Thank you Paul! I have another question I was thinking to open a new topic, but hoping I get an answer from you here :)

When preparing the DS-260  Immigrant Visa Application, the  applicant’s supporting civil documents need to be translated in english? The applicant is not present in the US and the interview will take place at the US Embassy/Consulate in Bogota, Colombia.

There are no civil documents "uploaded" with the DS-260.  The items taken to the consulate can be in spanish or english.  If those documents, like a birth certificate used at citizenship, will be used later in the US a translated copy will be needed.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
21 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

There are no civil documents "uploaded" with the DS-260.  The items taken to the consulate can be in spanish or english.  If those documents, like a birth certificate used at citizenship, will be used later in the US a translated copy will be needed.

Hi Paul,

You are right, the civil documents are not uploaded with the DS-260, but after submitting the DS. They still want us to upload them in the CEAC system tho. See the link below :

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/PDF-other/Uploading to CEAC-instrucions.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, CristianB said:

Hi Paul,

You are right, the civil documents are not uploaded with the DS-260, but after submitting the DS. They still want us to upload them in the CEAC system tho. See the link below :

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/PDF-other/Uploading to CEAC-instrucions.pdf

And can be submitted in English or Spanish 

YMMV

Timeline

I-864 Item Number 7. Current Individual Annual Income.

What should I enter here if I’m self- employed? I had fluctuating net income for the past 3-4 years ( but all meet the minimum income requirements for the sponsorship) and also fluctuating earnings throughout the year, so it's difficult to estimate after only 5 months into 2020.

And what should I include as evidence for supporting my claim about the expected income for the current year?

Thank you

For a self-employed individual, your current income is your "total income" line from your most recent federal tax return.

What you made in 2020 so far is revenue, not income. Only once claimed on taxes would it be income in your case.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

• Ryan H changed the title to I-864 (merged topics)
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Similar topics merged~~~

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.