1,612 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

That's great news! Fingers crossed mine's waived too - but I haven't got an RFE for the 693 medical yet.

My sister's getting married in February 2023 and I thought with a 'interview ready to be scheduled' notice from March 2022 I'd be ready to travel by February, but alas ;_;

Maybe it's time to apply for travel authorization with an I-131 and hope for the best...

Timeline for Adjustment of Status:

• May 4, 2020 (0 days) - 'Application received' (I-485, I-765)
  • Feb 8, 2021 (9 months, 3 days!) - 'Fingerprints taken', one day after biometrics appointment
  • Apr 13, 2021 (11 months, 8 days!) - 'New card is being produced' for I-765, employment authorization
  • Apr 17, 2021 (11 months, 12 days) - Original EAD delivered by USPS
  • Mar 29, 2022 (1 year, 10 months, 25 days!) - Case 'Ready to be scheduled for an interview'
  • Jan 18, 2023 (2 years, 8 months, 14 days!) - Received RFE for I-693 + evidence of marriage (I-751?)
  • May 2, 2023 (2 years, 11 months, 28 days!) - I-485 application approved!
  • May 9, 2023 (3 years, 5 days; or 36 months, 5 days; or 1100 days!!!) - 10-year permanent resident card delivered!

Timeline for EAD renewal:

• Feb 23, 2022 (0 days) - 'Application received' (I-765)
  • Feb 25, 2022 (2 days!) - 'Card is being produced' for I-765
  • Mar 4, 2022 (9 days 🤯) - renewed EAD delivered by USPS

Timeline for travel authorization:

• Oct 7, 2022 (0 days) - 'Application received' (I-131)
  • Dec 2, 2022 (56 days) - 'Fingerprints taken'
  • Dec 6, 2022 (60 days) - Advance Parole Document was produced

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Seattle office, no interview or no new medical was needed.

05/05/2020 - NOA date

11/19/2020 - biometrics

12/03/2020 - EAD received

05/10/2022 - Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview

06/10/2022 - Contacted local senator to reach out to USCIS and found out that my case was queued for a potential interview waiver application

06/10/2022 - On the same day, I filed an official complain via USCIS that my case is outside of normal processing time (don't know if this helped?)

09/30/2022 - Greencard approved

10/05/2022 - Card was mailed to me (waiting for USPS tracking number update)

Finally after 2.5 years, getting my green card.

Edited by Gak

Timeline
On 9/1/2022 at 10:08 AM, turbotails said:

That's great news! Fingers crossed mine's waived too - but I haven't got an RFE for the 693 medical yet.

My sister's getting married in February 2023 and I thought with a 'interview ready to be scheduled' notice from March 2022 I'd be ready to travel by February, but alas ;_;

Maybe it's time to apply for travel authorization with an I-131 and hope for the best...

You can find out whether or not your case's interview will be waived if you contact local senator. Just reach out to them and say your case is out of normal processing time. Ask them to reach out to USCIS for a case update. They will let you know whether or not your case is queued for a potential interview waiver application. This does not guarantee your interview will be waived but it's a good indication that it might be.

Edited by Gak

Timeline
16 hours ago, Gak said:

You can find out whether or not your case's interview will be waived if you contact local senator. Just reach out to them and say your case is out of normal processing time. Ask them to reach out to USCIS for a case update. They will let you know whether or not your case is queued for a potential interview waiver application. This does not guarantee your interview will be waived but it's a good indication that it might be.

Thanks for the information. We did contact our congressperson last month (I don't know if the Texas senators will care about an immigrant lol), and after they inquired with the USCIS they received the following response at the congressperson's office:

Our records indicate that the case is under further review by the Chicago Field Officer. All evidence submitted in support of the application for the immigration benefit being sought is being examined.

Cases may require additional review for a variety of reasons. While the processing steps for most applications are completed quickly, a small percentage of cases involve unresolved issues that may result in adjudication delays. It is difficult to predict with accuracy when this review will be completed. As soon as a decision or notice of action is made, your constituent will be sent a notice.

If the interview is ready to be scheduled since March, but the case is still in Chicago, does this mean they're considering waiving the interview? Otherwise, wouldn't the case be handled in the San Antonio field office (our closest)?

• Feb 8, 2021 (9 months, 3 days!) - 'Fingerprints taken', one day after biometrics appointment
  • Apr 13, 2021 (11 months, 8 days!) - 'New card is being produced' for I-765, employment authorization
  • Mar 29, 2022 (1 year, 10 months, 25 days!) - Case 'Ready to be scheduled for an interview'
  • Jan 18, 2023 (2 years, 8 months, 14 days!) - Received RFE for I-693 + evidence of marriage (I-751?)
  • May 9, 2023 (3 years, 5 days; or 36 months, 5 days; or 1100 days!!!) - 10-year permanent resident card delivered!

Timeline
On 10/6/2022 at 1:09 PM, turbotails said:

Thanks for the information. We did contact our congressperson last month (I don't know if the Texas senators will care about an immigrant lol), and after they inquired with the USCIS they received the following response at the congressperson's office:

If the interview is ready to be scheduled since March, but the case is still in Chicago, does this mean they're considering waiving the interview? Otherwise, wouldn't the case be handled in the San Antonio field office (our closest)?

Their response should clearly say your case is queue for potential interview waiver application but I do not see that wording in this paragraph and I am not a lawyer so I cannot tell. You could reach out to your congressperson to contact USCIS again and ask a specific question about the potential interview waiver

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 10/7/2022 at 6:31 PM, Gak said:

Their response should clearly say your case is queue for potential interview waiver application but I do not see that wording in this paragraph and I am not a lawyer so I cannot tell. You could reach out to your congressperson to contact USCIS again and ask a specific question about the potential interview waiver

The congressperson's office said they would provide periodic updates, so I'll let them know to ask if ours is also a "potential interview waiver application" next time they contact the USCIS. Thanks!

• 6 months later...
Timeline

Well, three frickin years after applying (are you kidding me?), my adjustment of status application was finally approved! At this rate maybe I'll be able to vote in the 2032 presidential election...

Only consolation is we didn't have to drive almost two hours each way to an interview, and didn't have to file yet another application (and wait another three years lmao) to remove conditions on a 2-year permanent resident card.

See signature below for timeline.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.