Star12

Change of Address before receiving work permit

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! My husband and I are considering to move to a different apartment, however we have not received his work permit yet. We submitted his adjustment of status application in Dec 2019, and the work permit may come anytime between now through June 2020 (estimated). Also, our lease ends at our current place at the end of June.

When submitting a change of address to USCIS, does that update in their system instantly? Or does it take some time to be processed? 

We are trying to make a decision about moving or not. It would be nice to move, but not if there is a risk with USCIS processing the change of address. 

Thanks for your help!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
56 minutes ago, Star12 said:

Hi everyone! My husband and I are considering to move to a different apartment, however we have not received his work permit yet. We submitted his adjustment of status application in Dec 2019, and the work permit may come anytime between now through June 2020 (estimated). Also, our lease ends at our current place at the end of June.

When submitting a change of address to USCIS, does that update in their system instantly? Or does it take some time to be processed? 

We are trying to make a decision about moving or not. It would be nice to move, but not if there is a risk with USCIS processing the change of address. 

Thanks for your help!

I would move after receiving it. USCIS "forgets" to update people's address very frequently. I've seen people getting interview letter for another state. Receiving mail at old address.

If you can't wait, at least use the mail forwarding option from USCIS just to be sure.

Edited by Ayrton

I would move since you never know when you'll get anything. Just because the predictions on VJ say that you'll get it soon it doesn't mean that it really happens. Don't let the process predict your life. 

Edited by Letspaintcookies

10 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

I would move since you never know when you'll get anything. Just because the predictions on VJ say that you'll get it soon it doesn't mean that it really happens. Don't let the process predict your life. 

Thank you. Do you have experience with change of address? I am uncertain that USCIS will update our address in a timely fashion. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.