Eric Bargemann

PhilHealth Mandatory Premium Contribution (ALL Overseas Filipinos)

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey everyone,

Apparently the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation has come out stating that ALL overseas Filipinos are required to pay a premium to them starting this year, regardless of whether they are an enrolled member of PhilHealth or not. See below:

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/circulars/2020/circ2020-0014.pdf

While it would somewhat make sense that it include OFWs due to healthcare contracts and negotiations between agencies and employers in other countries (still crazy given the extent everyone is suffering through the current pandemic), I don't understand how they can mandate payment for someone who is a non-member of PhilHealth, permanent resident in another country and not employed as an OFW under any such agency/employer working in coordination with the Philippines. OFWs aren't the only party they specifically name--they go on to include Filipinos with dual citizenship and any Filipinos living abroad (and those on vacation even--good grief!).  Can someone explain a) whether K-1 --> Green Card spouses truly apply to this mandate and b) how in the world PhilHealth could ever enforce this if applicable?

Hopefully I'm just reading too much into this, but I wanted to hear what the rest of the group knows about it, if anything. There's currently petitions being signed by tens of thousands of OFWs on Change.org, so it seems to be quite a big deal.

Thanks!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Key word is MEMBERS ...   not the population in general.

Where do you see that it only applies to members? Under "III. Scope", it looks like it applies to everyone, registered or not.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Eric Bargemann said:

Where do you see that it only applies to members? Under "III. Scope", it looks like it applies to everyone, registered or not.

The "members" word is used continually throughout that document, even in the heading

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

The "members" word is used continually throughout that document, even in the heading

Got it. The whole "applies to all overseas Filipinos" thing had me concerned. What you pointed out makes sense. Thanks Hank!

47 minutes ago, Eric Bargemann said:

Got it. The whole "applies to all overseas Filipinos" thing had me concerned. What you pointed out makes sense. Thanks Hank!

Yeah my wife has paid in to SSS or Phil Health at all since arriving here in the USA. That ain't going to happen

Timeline
36 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Yeah my wife has paid in to SSS or Phil Health at all since arriving here in the USA. That ain't going to happen

Thanks for the feedback! I agree -- for OFWs residing in another country temporarily for work/other reasons, it would make some sense (as you are ultimately still holding residence in PH), but for those who permanently reside elsewhere, it would not make sense.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Hank_ said:

So it turns out my wife is a member (signed up years ago while she was previously employed in the Philippines). She's saying this premium mandate applies to all Filipinos regardless of where they live because the new Universal Healthcare law in PH requires all Filipinos to be enrolled (regardless of whether they are permanently residing in US). Further, even being a dual citizen and living abroad doesn't exempt anyone per Section IV.A. 

Any help understanding this? Still shocked that they can get away with making someone pay for health insurance in another country when they no longer reside there.

Timeline

Looks like since last year, all Filipinos (regardless of where they live) were automatically signed up for PhilHealth:

https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/universal-healthcare-act-philippines-signed-law-president-duterte

Timeline

Further definition on who is a "member" (in other words, everyone):

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/members/

Direct Contributors

The more I read, the more it appears all Filipinos truly do apply.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

PhilHealth must be going broke so is grasping at anything and everyone.  Looked at the Acorn insurance that was jammed at us here in the States and figured #######!   ;)   

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

PhilHealth must be going broke so is grasping at anything and everyone.  Looked at the Acorn insurance that was jammed at us here in the States and figured #######!   ;)   

I think that's exactly what is happening. Not sure how they'd ever be able to track down everyone they deem applicable and demand them to pay up, but still it's crazy they'd put something out like this to freak people out, especially with the hardship everyone is facing with COVID-19 right now.

4 hours ago, Eric Bargemann said:

I think that's exactly what is happening. Not sure how they'd ever be able to track down everyone they deem applicable and demand them to pay up, but still it's crazy they'd put something out like this to freak people out, especially with the hardship everyone is facing with COVID-19 right now.

4 hours ago, Hank_ said:

I wouldn't doubt it one bit because most OFWs pay maybe the first couple months or a year of OWWA and PhilHealth then don't pay it anymore. Even my wife was like that when she was a OFW.

I just read the document. Members means all Filipino citizens as defined by the 1987 Constitution.  From my reading if you don't pay and decide to use it later you will owe back payments with interest.))) This along with the proposed bill not to allow 60+ to leave their homes for three year has me reconsidering my retirement plans.  It looks like I may bite the bullet and retire in Thailand or Vietnam and make occasional trips to the Philippines.  

Edited by boris64

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.