MitchEdi

I-824 or follow to join

241 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My experience with the I-824 has not been pleasant at all. For anyone looking for more updated info:

27-Jul-2018: I-824 received by USCIS

03-Oct-2019: I-824 approved. Case "transferred" to NVC which actually didn't happen. Literally dozens of emails, inquiries & calls to both NVC and USCIS. 

18-Nov-2020: NVC sent Welcome Letter (ACL)

25-Nov-2020: Fees paid

17-Dec-2020: DS260 submitted

23-Dec-2020: NVC package submitted (Affidavit of Support waived). USPS tried to deliver on 26-Dec but they couldn't. Never re-tried

07-Jan-2020: NVC package re-submitted. Package delivered on 08-Jan-2020

13-Jan-2020: NVC sent confirmation letter: The National Visa Center (NVC) received all the requested documentation for this immigrant visa case. The applicant is now in the queue awaiting an interview appointment overseas.

22 hours ago, Jossie Red said:

My experience with the I-824 has not been pleasant at all. For anyone looking for more updated info:

27-Jul-2018: I-824 received by USCIS

03-Oct-2019: I-824 approved. Case "transferred" to NVC which actually didn't happen. Literally dozens of emails, inquiries & calls to both NVC and USCIS. 

18-Nov-2020: NVC sent Welcome Letter (ACL)

25-Nov-2020: Fees paid

17-Dec-2020: DS260 submitted

23-Dec-2020: NVC package submitted (Affidavit of Support waived). USPS tried to deliver on 26-Dec but they couldn't. Never re-tried

07-Jan-2020: NVC package re-submitted. Package delivered on 08-Jan-2020

13-Jan-2020: NVC sent confirmation letter: The National Visa Center (NVC) received all the requested documentation for this immigrant visa case. The applicant is now in the queue awaiting an interview appointment overseas.

I had a similar experience. I824 approved in April 2020.
After that:

1) USCIS didn't send the package to NVC. Involved Ombudsman office, they sent it in late August

2) NVC received my I140 but not the I824 so they thought I had to immigrate as well

3) They closed the case and sent back to USCIS

4) USCIS re-approved the case and I received the welcome letter from NVC yesterday (this time it looks correct, only my spouse is required to pay the fees)

I wonder if we qualify for an expedite request. did you try this route?

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
23 minutes ago, mazzi said:

aren't you affected by Trump immigration ban?
I thought interviews were suspended while the ban was active

It depends on your embassy, my embassy informed me that I would be scheduled for interview after they reschedule all the COVID -19 cancelled appts.  So I would be hearing something in December/January.  I was DQ'd in June 2020.

To expedite your case, you will need to have a very specific reason, also it depends upon your embassy and how behind on rescheduling COVID-19 cancelled appts.  Those appts have priority over your expedite request.  

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, mazzi said:

I had a similar experience. I824 approved in April 2020.
After that:

1) USCIS didn't send the package to NVC. Involved Ombudsman office, they sent it in late August

2) NVC received my I140 but not the I824 so they thought I had to immigrate as well

3) They closed the case and sent back to USCIS

4) USCIS re-approved the case and I received the welcome letter from NVC yesterday (this time it looks correct, only my spouse is required to pay the fees)

I wonder if we qualify for an expedite request. did you try this route?

As far as I know, the expedite will work only if the case is at the consulate. Then you contact the consulate and state your reasons for expedite. Right now they have very specific reasons for expedite (at least Ciudad Juarez)

While reading some FB groups about Ciudad Juarez Consulate, they said NVC only transfer the case to them when you get an interview date. I'm not seeing that happening in at least 18 months..

Is there other way to ask for an expedite?  

16 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

It depends on your embassy, my embassy informed me that I would be scheduled for interview after they reschedule all the COVID -19 cancelled appts.  So I would be hearing something in December/January.  I was DQ'd in June 2020.

To expedite your case, you will need to have a very specific reason, also it depends upon your embassy and how behind on rescheduling COVID-19 cancelled appts.  Those appts have priority over your expedite request.  

Which embassy is your interview going to happen? Are your children following to join? What is your visa class? 

Timeline
24 minutes ago, MitchEdi said:

Which embassy is your interview going to happen? Are your children following to join? What is your visa class? 

Jamaica - yes follow to join.  Not all embassies are closed and they are still interviewing.

Edited by Pinkrlion

3 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

Jamaica - yes follow to join.  Not all embassies are closed and they are still interviewing.

Lucky you. Me and my daughter are following to join too. My husband filed for I-824 last December 2019, approved March 2020, Submitted all docs in July 2020 (due to lockdown, police clearance was delayed), DQ August 2020. But US embassy in London is not interviewing due to visa van(?) or to travel ban(?). Not sure really. 

Timeline

Timeline for I-824

12/2019 - Filed I-824

03/10/2020 - I-824 approved

4/10/2020 - IV Invoice - E-mail

4/11/2020 - NVC Welcome Letter - E-mail

4/15/2020 - Agent selected and fees paid

5/10.2020 - Delay as passports for kids expired - Passports renewed

6/10/2020 - DS-260 Submitted/NVC package mailed - Express Mail

6/20/2020 - DQ'd - placed in line for interview to be scheduled

8/12/2020 - Emailed Embassy and was informed that due to COVID-19 all cancelled appts are being rescheduled in tiers and we are considered third tier so not to expect an interview                          before December. 

1/13/2021 - Interview Letter - Email for Feb

1/20/2021 - Medical Scheduled

1 minute ago, Pinkrlion said:

Timeline for I-824

12/2019 - Filed I-824

03/10/2020 - I-824 approved

4/10/2020 - IV Invoice - E-mail

4/11/2020 - NVC Welcome Letter - E-mail

4/15/2020 - Agent selected and fees paid

5/10.2020 - Delay as passports for kids expired - Passports renewed

6/10/2020 - DS-260 Submitted/NVC package mailed - Express Mail

6/20/2020 - DQ'd - placed in line for interview to be scheduled

8/12/2020 - Emailed Embassy and was informed that due to COVID-19 all cancelled appts are being rescheduled in tiers and we are considered third tier so not to expect an interview                          before December. 

1/13/2021 - Interview Letter - Email for Feb

1/20/2021 - Medical Scheduled

Thank you for sharing your timeline. You are lucky. We almost have the same timeline. Goodluck to you and your children. 

2 hours ago, Jossie Red said:

As far as I know, the expedite will work only if the case is at the consulate. Then you contact the consulate and state your reasons for expedite. Right now they have very specific reasons for expedite (at least Ciudad Juarez)

While reading some FB groups about Ciudad Juarez Consulate, they said NVC only transfer the case to them when you get an interview date. I'm not seeing that happening in at least 18 months..

Is there other way to ask for an expedite?  

I have a very specific reason: my I824 was approved in April 2020 and I received the welcome letter in January 2021.

This was a major screw up from USCIS-NVC side so we think we qualify - and lawyer agrees too.
Will keep you posted

Edited by mazzi

Hmmm. I know some embassies were issuing derivative visas after the ban was in place if the principal had been issued before the ban. That is possibly what is happening here, and why pinkrlion has an interview scheduled despite the visa ban still being in place. Can’t say for sure but it makes sense of the timeline and having an interview scheduled.

Timeline
25 minutes ago, mazzi said:

I have a very specific reason: my I824 was approved in April 2020 and I received the welcome letter in January 2021.

This was a major screw up from USCIS-NVC side so we think we qualify - and lawyer agrees too.
Will keep you posted

I’m in the same boat, screwed by USCIS-NVC since October 19. I know there is a way to expedite with NVC but not sure if it helps to

move forward your appointment date with the embassy, so keep me posted!!

I asked my lawyer today and I’m waiting for her reply.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.