107 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Shadow Moon said:

@Boiler All for me is just to determine my next move.  

Correct, you have 3 options and your choice.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Do nothing

Go for a SB1

Enter with your GC, see what happens

I have no idea on percentages, too many unknown variables even if you could calculate it, to be able to calculate it.

Personally I would go for the third one, not that you asked.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

@Boiler  So you will not risk for the SB1 may I know why? If you were in my situation. Even the risk is higher that the CBP will either confiscate my GC or detain me or send me back from the country I came from.  I don't mind being in court to explain my situation, however, if they sent me to court and wait without my GC that is totally different scenario. 

Timeline

They can refer you to an Immigration Judge.

They can take your GC in the meantime but not confiscate it, they do not have the power, an IJ decides that. Well I guess that depends on exactly what you mean by confiscate.

Why, well go for an SB1 and the Consulate have the power. Head back and firstly the PoE have to decide to make a fuss about, if they do you can make your case suitably documented, then the PoE have to decide to escalate it, then their bosses have to want to go through with it, then you get your day in court with hopefully good representation, then if you lose there are appeals. So basically you have a lot of control.

My thoughts.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
4 hours ago, Shadow Moon said:

@Nitas_man Sorry for the late reply and to correct you, we can only speculate and based our opinions from our beliefs, but to pass the conclusion that there is ZERO chance? I don't think we should say that. Lawyers can not guarantee any results, now if these people who are familiar with the law and familiar with how to defend a situation can not guarantee anything, what makes you pass the conclusion that it will result in ZERO? based on your experience? based on what you've research? I do respect your opinion but again as what they said: "It ain't over till the fat lady sings". So unless you are the officer or the Immigration judge then it will just remain as a speculation.  I have read stories here in which it was ZERO but then again it went through. Situations that are worst than mine. I suggest researching more so you can see those cases.  My point is we can give our honest opinion but let us avoid if possible making a conclusion cause things happened to you that may not occur to other people. We can not pattern similarities here cause one way or another there would be differences. It is not I cant accept the fact, I do accept it!  it is what it is, but in my opinion, we can not pass a conclusion just because of our own personal exp. Otherwise, what is the sense of having an Immigration court if all circumstances are the same? I am just making my point.  

I’m just summarizing the rules.  Rules say Zero.  But go for it.  LOL  

Edited by Nitas_man

@BoilerI forgot to mention something. I'm not really quite sure about this, but what I've read once said the airlines can deny you being on board if they've found out how long have you been gone outside the US. I don't really remember the exact detail about it, but all I can remember is they can deny you once they found out that you've been gone that long. Otherwise, they'll get penalized. Now have you or anyone heard about this kind of process before?  

7 minutes ago, Shadow Moon said:

@BoilerI forgot to mention something. I'm not really quite sure about this, but what I've read once said the airlines can deny you being on board if they've found out how long have you been gone outside the US. I don't really remember the exact detail about it, but all I can remember is they can deny you once they found out that you've been gone that long. Otherwise, they'll get penalized. Now have you or anyone heard about this kind of process before?  

The Carrier Information Guide states that they do not penalize the carrier for doing so, but every boarding decision is up the airlines. Just because they don't prohibit it, doesn't mean they will provide service.

That said, they have no good reason not to provide paid service here..

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 minute ago, geowrian said:

The Carrier Information Guide states that they do not penalize the carrier for doing so, but every boarding decision is up the airlines. Just because they don't prohibit it, doesn't mean they will provide service.

That said, they have no good reason not to provide paid service here..

Begs the question how an Airline would know or care, they are not the arbiter of whether a LPR would be referred to a IJ, presumably their main concern is if a passenger was bounced and that is not a possibility here.

Timeline

Which web site?

Timeline

The airlines enter your green card information before you ever board. It’s transmitted over to the US and they know who is on that plane before it takes off.  

https://www.aila.org/File/Related/18110604b.pdf

Here is a pretty cool summary of what to expect on arrival.

A green card is technically not a valid entry document after an absence of greater than one year unless accompanied by a travel document.  Absent a travel document an SB1 is required otherwise you are classified as an arriving alien vs returning resident.  Law is clear on that one year thing.  It isn’t evem a gray area.  

I’m not sure an immigration judge has jurisdiction at that point.  @geowrian

Our position was “never enter the US at all ever never as arriving alien” so we dumped a green card once and SB1’d for re-entry after an expired travel document  (banks/investments/credit cards/parked cars/insurance policies/cell accounts/drivers licenses/tax returns aside)

Isn’t entry as “arriving alien” subject to the decision of CBP and can’t they just deny entry and ship you back if they choose? 

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline
7 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

I’m just summarizing the rules.  Rules say Zero.  But go for it.  LOL  

I’m not being cocky but there are a list of rules about automatic abandonment and absences >1 year + failure to file taxes is number one.  I saw that and SMH

You shared that you not only broke the primary rule, you broke ALL of them.  You didn’t even try.  This might be the worst situation I’ve ever seen here to be honest.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: IR-2 Country: Haiti
Timeline
On 4/18/2020 at 4:17 AM, Shadow Moon said:

I am planning to also apply for an SB1 visa but can anybody help me not professionally, but just to hear other people's opinion I was gone out of the US for about 4 yrs now ( Since 2016) and the reason behind it was because I was taking care of my father who is ill and currently staying in the Philippines. supposedly, I was only going to take a 1 month vacation. I didnt know about the illness of my father to that extent not until when I came back and my stepmom vented out on me I know he is living with my stepmom but I didn't really trust her at that time. Considering the fact that I've only met her once. My dad is a 70+ yr old man at the time that he got diagnosed with COPD. His health has been fragile before and even when he got diagnosed.  It took me that long outside the US because it is not easy to convince my dad to see a professional doctor and not just an internal medicine walked-clinic and to find someone who can also help him and my step in case of emergency.  I don't want to stay that long, but I need too. Now, I want to go back in the US because I need too. It's for my 15 yr old son. With the doctor's letter, medical records and abstract, with letters from families and friends who witnessed me taking care of my dad ( Of course all these letters will be notarized by a lawyer ) plus my round-trip ticket (because I was supposed to stay only for 1 month) and my ties to the US which is my son. I don't have any properties there. So can someone advised me what the chances that my SB1 be approved?  Do you consider my situation as " Beyond my Control "

Your father has been diagnosed with COPD for how long prior to your moving to Philippines?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.