Nursingchick17

What to bring to your interview if you dont have much solid proof?

16 posts in this topic

My husband and I have been together for six years. I lived with him in Europe in our own place then returned here to start school. Both of us cannot work of course he cant because he doesn't have an EAD and I cannot because I am in a vigorous course so that resulted in us staying with my parents until we have everything settled. We are also pretty young (early 20s). So we dont have any bills under our names, dont have a mortgage or will, or any of that. We are also of course broke and weren't able to have a proper wedding ceremony. We just got married and had a dinner. My issue is this will look terrible for them but the reality is we are just a young broke married couple, we have been living our life together and everything is great, but I am not sure what type of proof we can use. Thank you! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Please fill in your timeline.  It will assist others in knowing exactly where you are in the process.......Thanks.

BTW, please be aware of the I-944, used by USCIS to decide whether an immigrant is likely to become a public charge....good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

6 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Please fill in your timeline.  It will assist others in knowing exactly where you are in the process.......Thanks.

BTW, please be aware of the I-944, used by USCIS to decide whether an immigrant is likely to become a public charge....good luck.

My fiance is 

8 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

I dont have my exact dates remembered but we applied in early December, biometrics was done march 2nd and we sent in response to an RFE on April 2nd and are awaiting a response now. That form  isn't applicable to us as he had been in the country since November. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
5 hours ago, Nursingchick17 said:

My husband and I have been together for six years. I lived with him in Europe in our own place then returned here to start school. Both of us cannot work of course he cant because he doesn't have an EAD and I cannot because I am in a vigorous course so that resulted in us staying with my parents until we have everything settled. We are also pretty young (early 20s). So we dont have any bills under our names, dont have a mortgage or will, or any of that. We are also of course broke and weren't able to have a proper wedding ceremony. We just got married and had a dinner. My issue is this will look terrible for them but the reality is we are just a young broke married couple, we have been living our life together and everything is great, but I am not sure what type of proof we can use. Thank you! 

Here’s what I would do: joint bank accounts(!!!!), photos from the last 6 years including each other’s families, possibly chat logs, the European rental agreement, a written statement from your parents that’s you guys live with them, photos from the wedding, proof of your student status, possibly a letter explaining the situation and plan for the future.. l honestly believe you’ll be fine! You are young plus you’ve been together for a super long time! There’ll be a human sitting in front of you at the interview and you guys don’t come across like a denial case at all :)  Of course this is all just my humble opinion, but I really think you’ll be fine 🧡

Edited by Kat & K

26 minutes ago, Kat & K said:

Here’s what I would do: joint bank accounts(!!!!), photos from the last 6 years including each other’s families, possibly chat logs, the European rental agreement, a written statement from your parents that’s you guys live with them, photos from the wedding, proof of your student status, possibly a letter explaining the situation and plan for the future.. l honestly believe you’ll be fine! You are young plus you’ve been together for a super long time! There’ll be a human sitting in front of you at the interview and you guys don’t come across like a denial case at all :)  Of course this is all just my humble opinion, but I really think you’ll be fine 🧡

Thank you K&K, I appreciate your kind words. We actually do have a joint account but of course since we both don’t work there isn’t much in there 😂 lol! That’s some great suggestions. I appreciate that. Maybe also our renting agreement that we had previously when we lived together in Europe. Thank you so much. Happy Easter!

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Nursingchick17 said:

Thank you K&K, I appreciate your kind words. We actually do have a joint account but of course since we both don’t work there isn’t much in there 😂 lol! That’s some great suggestions. I appreciate that. Maybe also our renting agreement that we had previously when we lived together in Europe. Thank you so much. Happy Easter!

You’re so welcome! Yes, definitely include the old rental agreement :) Happy Easter to you too and happy studying (I’m literally staring at my Anatomy & Physiology textbook as I’m typing this lol) 🧡 Keep us posted :) 

2 hours ago, Kat & K said:

You’re so welcome! Yes, definitely include the old rental agreement :) Happy Easter to you too and happy studying (I’m literally staring at my Anatomy & Physiology textbook as I’m typing this lol) 🧡 Keep us posted :) 

Oh gosh are you nursing school? That’s what I’m studying! 😂 hard stuff! Haha 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Nursingchick17 said:

Oh gosh are you nursing school? That’s what I’m studying! 😂 hard stuff! Haha 

Yep, I’m doing pre reqs for a graduate nursing program (DNP) right now while going through immigration and having a 9 month old baby 😂 Oh and we lived with my husbands parents in the first 3 months as well, just recently moved to our own place, literally furnished it with stuff we found at the goodwill 🤪 I know how overwhelming this stuff can be. Keep pushing girl, you got this 😊🙏

1 hour ago, Kat & K said:

Yep, I’m doing pre reqs for a graduate nursing program (DNP) right now while going through immigration and having a 9 month old baby 😂 Oh and we lived with my husbands parents in the first 3 months as well, just recently moved to our own place, literally furnished it with stuff we found at the goodwill 🤪 I know how overwhelming this stuff can be. Keep pushing girl, you got this 😊🙏

Oh you’re a hardworker! That’s how we have to be honestly! Have to have that personality type, that’s wonderful! It will be worth it, you too girl, happy someone understand me good luck with you and your family and all your amazing plans! ❤️

Also put together Wills and both medical and regular power of attorney. These

are a few  more documents for the interview.

Edited by G Walters

Service Center : California Service Center on 2014-03-17Consulate : London, United KingdomI-129F Sent : 2014-03-10I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-14I-129F NOA2 : 2014-04-07NVC Received :4/21/2014NVC Left :4/23/2014Consulate Received :2014-04-29Packet 3 Received :2014-05-01Packet 3 Sent :2014-05-01Medical Complete: 2014-05-07Packet 4 Received :2014-5-31Interview Date :2014-06-06Visa Issued: 2014-06-10Visa Package Received: 2014-06-13Arrival at POE Seattle: 2014-6-13

Married 07/07/2014

AOS Timeline
AOS package mailed 08/08/2014 (Chicago Lockbox)
NOA date 8/13/2014
Biometrics done 09/14/2014
INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 10/31/2014
Approval e-mail 10/31/2014
Card production e-mail 12/27/2011
GREEN CARD ARRIVED 11/08/201

Employment Authorization Document
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance : First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2014-09-04
Approved Date : 2014-09-25
Date Card Received : 2014-10-03

ADVANCED Parole
Filing Instance :First
RFE(s) :
Date Received : 2014-10-03

ROC Timeline
ROC package mailed to CSC 10/13/2016
NOA1 date 10/17/2016
Biometrics date 12/8/2016

Interview: None
Card production ordered: 03/27/2018
10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED

*~*~*procedural question moved from “progress reports” to the main AOS discussion forum*~*~*

You can bring your evidence from your time in Europe also.

I’m really curious as to why you didn’t marry during your time in Europe? It would have saved money, cut out this step and also meant your now-husband could have been working since the day you arrived (and you might not be so broke). Might be useful for others contemplating their options to know what attracted you to the K-1?

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

8 hours ago, G Walters said:

Also put together Wills and both medical and regular power of attorney. These

are a few  more documents for the interview.

As I said we aren’t in the financial postition to have any of that. I’m looking for recommendations that are best for a couple in their early 20s that don’t hav emu has in life yet. Thanks.

8 hours ago, JFH said:

*~*~*procedural question moved from “progress reports” to the main AOS discussion forum*~*~*

You can bring your evidence from your time in Europe also.

I’m really curious as to why you didn’t marry during your time in Europe? It would have saved money, cut out this step and also meant your now-husband could have been working since the day you arrived (and you might not be so broke). Might be useful for others contemplating their options to know what attracted you to the K-1?

That’s kind of personal but I guess I’ll say I was very young. I moved to be with him when I was 18, and I didn’t feel ready to marry him yet. Yeah I know we are very aware of that now but it is what it is now we are trying to make due. 

It does not matter if you are financially in a position. It can be done for almost no money and they look at those as good things. Showing there is a long term commitment, They can be changed at a later date as you do better financially. But these are good documents to have for proof of your commitment.

Service Center : California Service Center on 2014-03-17Consulate : London, United KingdomI-129F Sent : 2014-03-10I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-14I-129F NOA2 : 2014-04-07NVC Received :4/21/2014NVC Left :4/23/2014Consulate Received :2014-04-29Packet 3 Received :2014-05-01Packet 3 Sent :2014-05-01Medical Complete: 2014-05-07Packet 4 Received :2014-5-31Interview Date :2014-06-06Visa Issued: 2014-06-10Visa Package Received: 2014-06-13Arrival at POE Seattle: 2014-6-13

Married 07/07/2014

AOS Timeline
AOS package mailed 08/08/2014 (Chicago Lockbox)
NOA date 8/13/2014
Biometrics done 09/14/2014
INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 10/31/2014
Approval e-mail 10/31/2014
Card production e-mail 12/27/2011
GREEN CARD ARRIVED 11/08/201

Employment Authorization Document
Filing Instance : First
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2014-09-04
Approved Date : 2014-09-25
Date Card Received : 2014-10-03

ADVANCED Parole
Filing Instance :First
RFE(s) :
Date Received : 2014-10-03

ROC Timeline
ROC package mailed to CSC 10/13/2016
NOA1 date 10/17/2016
Biometrics date 12/8/2016

Interview: None
Card production ordered: 03/27/2018
10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED

36 minutes ago, G Walters said:

It does not matter if you are financially in a position. It can be done for almost no money and they look at those as good things. Showing there is a long term commitment, They can be changed at a later date as you do better financially. But these are good documents to have for proof of your commitment.

Sorry, I don’t know much about those things. So can a spouse be a POA? Thanks and if so, where would you apply for that? Thank you. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.