Andres1987

F11 Visa to expire soon, I have a question or two.

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Hello everyone, my Visa expires May 26, unfortunately my trip was interrupted for April 10th due to the COVID19 issue, as they closed the airport in El Salvador, and the quarantine has been extended until the 28th of April which COULD be extended again which is a huge concern of mine, the earliest flight I could find to exchange it to was for the 9th of May; So my question is, have they said anything about extending Visas for immigrants like me or will I have to reapply all over again entirely or in some areas? Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Visas cannot be extended.  The law allows consulates (at their discretion) to re-issue expired visas if the holder was unable to travel.  This will require a new medical exam, fees, and possibly other renewed documents......contact the local consulate for information.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

14 minutes ago, Andres1987 said:

It's a bit disconcerting that they aren't making exceptions for these kinds of things, crossing fingers I will be able to leave in time.

They cannot 'make exceptions' without a revision of the law.

Timeline

48 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

They cannot 'make exceptions' without a revision of the law.

I do understand where you're coming from, but to play devils advocate here, it would've been something they should've looked into while forging current laws due to extraordinary circumstances like pandemics, no foresight from them it seems.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Andres1987 said:

I do understand where you're coming from, but to play devils advocate here, it would've been something they should've looked into while forging current laws due to extraordinary circumstances like pandemics, no foresight from them it seems.

Not every circumstance can be foreseen.......As I stated above, the law allows (at the discretion of each consulate) for expired visas to be re-issued.....

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

As I stated above, the law allows (at the discretion of each consulate) for expired visas to be re-issued.....

Yep, thanks for that, it's such a bother to have to pay more than $700 again. 😕

I'll contact the consulate Monday as you suggested, thank you again for your help!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
21 hours ago, Andres1987 said:

It's a bit disconcerting that they aren't making exceptions for these kinds of things, crossing fingers I will be able to leave in time.

I said this here a couple of weeks ago and was castigated but will say it anyways because it's the truth; When the embassy gives you a visa, you are given 6 months to relocate for a reason. Anything after that, it is assumed to be your fault. After the visa expires, you have to pay a new fee and new medical exam, and possibly, a new interview. Whether they will grant a new visa is at their discretion. I know this is hard to hear, but you will have to find a way to get to the US before it expires. Unless an exception is made, this will be the route you will have to take if the visa expires

Timeline
1 hour ago, jan22 said:

It is unlikely that you will get a clear answer at this point.  Embassy staffing has been reduced and the consular focus is on providing emergency services to US citizens in the country, not on visa services and questions.  Plus, they probably have not been provIded information on procedures for issues such as this.  It is not a lack of foresight on anyone's part -- it is a prioritization of limited resources to deal with the immediate crisis. 

What will be done with expired visas is a future issue -- the answer to which will likely depend on a number of factors, such as how long the travel suspensions last, how many people are actually prevented from travelling, what resources/solutions are available to be used, whether there has been a change in the law or DHS entry procedures, etc.  Once the scope of the problem is knowable, a better solution can be devised.  Until travel restrictions are somewhat normalized -- and nobody knows for sure when that will be --there is limited information available to be used to contribute to a solution.  And, no information for consular personnel to use to tell you what will happen.

I know it's especially difficult now (and I don't want to sound preachy), but patience is more important than ever -- to ensure the health and safety of your loved ones and all the people around them.

Certainly! I value your advise so thank you; I was looking at repatriation flights, any idea if those are an option for people like me with an F11 Visa or strictly for Citizens and established residents?

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, Andres1987 said:

Certainly! I value your advise so thank you; I was looking at repatriation flights, any idea if those are an option for people like me with an F11 Visa or strictly for Citizens and established residents?

You're certainly welcome.  I'm sure this must be a difficult time for you.

If you mean repatriation flights that the US does to get people back to the US, then, sorry -- it would not be possible for you.  Repatriation, by definition, is to get people back to their country of citizenship or, in some cases, their country of legal residency.  Unfortunately that is not you right now.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, jan22 said:

You're certainly welcome.  I'm sure this must be a difficult time for you.

If you mean repatriation flights that the US does to get people back to the US, then, sorry -- it would not be possible for you.  Repatriation, by definition, is to get people back to their country of citizenship or, in some cases, their country of legal residency.  Unfortunately that is not you right now.

Once again, thank you very much answering so quickly and for clearing it up, it's unfortunate I wouldn't be able to take the flight but makes a lot of sense how you put it. :(

I'm super nervous right now to be honest, the whole chance of losing my residency scares me, I've been waiting since 2012 and while I'm sure an exception is very likely to be made there's the other option there might not be any, so I'm crossing fingers I will be able to make my new flight on May 9th as my Visa expires on the 25th of May.

Edited by Andres1987

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, Andres1987 said:

Once again, thank you very much answering so quickly and for clearing it up, it's unfortunate I wouldn't be able to take the flight but makes a lot of sense how you put it. :(

I'm super nervous right now to be honest, the whole chance of losing my residency scares me, I've been waiting since 2012 and while I'm sure an exception is very likely to be made there's the other option there might not be any, so I'm crossing fingers I will be able to make my new flight on May 9th as my Visa expires on the 25th of May.

Hopefully, you will be able to travel in May.  However, if you can't, I'm certain there will be some procedure put in place to make sure you don't lose your chance at US residency -- nobody can say what that procedure will be right now, but I'm confident there will be one!

Timeline
19 hours ago, jan22 said:

Hopefully, you will be able to travel in May.  However, if you can't, I'm certain there will be some procedure put in place to make sure you don't lose your chance at US residency -- nobody can say what that procedure will be right now, but I'm confident there will be one!

Thank you! Crossing fingers! :)

I gave a call to the Embassy today where the agent redirected me to the El Salvador Visa Center number, I gave them a call and after asking me for my information including visa type and case number, they said they would make the embassy aware of my inquiry that I might not be able to make it in time to the US if the quarantine is extended, I would receive an email in 2-3 business days, I'm curious to what they have to say or guidelines they'll send me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.