ClickityClackity

Relief package and 2019 taxes

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi all!

I am currently in AOS with EAD and AP. I’m going to start working in April, but ever since I got here in October I haven’t been working.

I have a SSN, but I don’t know if my wife has to claim me as a dependent or if I have to file myself or how does it really work.

Once filed, what happens with the stimulus package? Do we each get a check? Do I get nothing since I haven’t worked here yet?

Thank you in advance!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, ClickityClackity said:

Hi all!

I am currently in AOS with EAD and AP. I’m going to start working in April, but ever since I got here in October I haven’t been working.

I have a SSN, but I don’t know if my wife has to claim me as a dependent or if I have to file myself or how does it really work.

Once filed, what happens with the stimulus package? Do we each get a check? Do I get nothing since I haven’t worked here yet?

Thank you in advance!

You get no advance payment if you and your spouse don't file a 2019 return.   

YMMV

Timeline
16 minutes ago, payxibka said:

You get no advance payment if you and your spouse don't file a 2019 return.   

Can I even file one? My wife wants to do it today, but she doesn’t know how to claim me

Timeline
1 minute ago, ClickityClackity said:

Can I even file one? My wife wants to do it today, but she doesn’t know how to claim me

She doesn't claim you,  she files as MARRIED and lists you as the spouse 

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, ClickityClackity said:

And that way we both get a check or just her?

If you do nothing and assuming she filed a 2018 return she would already be rostered to receive an advance payment.  The purpose of filing 2019 ASAP and informing the IRS that you exist is to get YOU rostered.  Even if you don't get an advance payment,  you will have the opportunity to collect on the 2020 return 

YMMV

Timeline
9 minutes ago, payxibka said:

If you do nothing and assuming she filed a 2018 return she would already be rostered to receive an advance payment.  The purpose of filing 2019 ASAP and informing the IRS that you exist is to get YOU rostered.  Even if you don't get an advance payment,  you will have the opportunity to collect on the 2020 return 

So she filed for taxes in 2018.

That means that even if she files 2019 today I won’t get counted. 
So on my 2020 taxes next year I would get the check? 

Timeline
Just now, ClickityClackity said:

So she filed for taxes in 2018.

That means that even if she files 2019 today I won’t get counted. 
So on my 2020 taxes next year I would get the check? 

Don't know about whether you will rostered in time.  Only one way to find out.

The stimulus money comes as a refundable tax credit,  depending upon how you file your 2020 return will determine how you will benefit 

YMMV

13 minutes ago, ClickityClackity said:

And that way we both get a check or just her?

Right now, the advance credit will be issued estimated on information from the 2018 year return. If you file jointly for the 2019 year as married and if they process the return before they start issuing the checks, then the advance credit will be estimated from the 2019 return.

The actual eligibility for the credit will be based on the 2020 year, so if you don't get an advance payment and you are actually eligible this year, you will have to claim it as a tax credit next year, increasing your tax refund (or reducing tax owed) next year. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
15 hours ago, ClickityClackity said:

Hi all!

Thank you in advance!

Assuming you were married before Dec 31, 2019 -

1. You and your wife should file married/jointly

2.  Both of your 2019 incomes should be included.  Your overseas income and her US income

3.  Your overseas income should then be declared as foreign earned income, and up to $105,900 will be excluded for tax purposes

4.  Hit “submit”

Families don’t get “separate checks”.  The amount is estimated from your 2019 tax return and deposited into the account that the tax refund is deposited into

AGI (adjusted gross income) USUALLY includes the excluded foreign earned income.

In summary you are treated as a household, not as individuals.

Hope thay helps

If your taxes are not filed and processed in time then your wife will automatically receive payment based on 2018 taxes and the amount you would actually qualify for will be resolved when you file 2020 taxes early 2021.

It would probably be better to try to quickly get your taxes filed.  I filed on a friday evening, the return was processed and refund payment was pending deposit 1 week later.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

Assuming you were married before Dec 31, 2019 -

1. You and your wife should file married/jointly

2.  Both of your 2019 incomes should be included.  Your overseas income and her US income

3.  Your overseas income should then be declared as foreign earned income, and up to $105,900 will be excluded for tax purposes

4.  Hit “submit”

Families don’t get “separate checks”.  The amount is estimated from your 2019 tax return and deposited into the account that the tax refund is deposited into

AGI (adjusted gross income) USUALLY includes the excluded foreign earned income.

In summary you are treated as a household, not as individuals.

Hope thay helps

If your taxes are not filed and processed in time then your wife will automatically receive payment based on 2018 taxes and the amount you would actually qualify for will be resolved when you file 2020 taxes early 2021.

It would probably be better to try to quickly get your taxes filed.  I filed on a friday evening, the return was processed and refund payment was pending deposit 1 week later.

hi i have a question. did you file tax online? im in the similar situation. i came to the states in late dec, 2019. so i didnt work at all in the states last year but in my home country. my tax return for 2019 in my country is taken care of already and i paid tax for it when i left there. when my husband file tax for 2019 jointly in the states, do you think he can include my oversea income? (its less than $105900)

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Kukka.H said:

hi i have a question. did you file tax online? im in the similar situation. i came to the states in late dec, 2019. so i didnt work at all in the states last year but in my home country. my tax return for 2019 in my country is taken care of already and i paid tax for it when i left there. when my husband file tax for 2019 jointly in the states, do you think he can include my oversea income? (its less than $105900)

If you want to file jointly then you follow the instructions accordingly be electing to be treated as a us taxpayer for the entire year 

YMMV

Timeline
44 minutes ago, Kukka.H said:

We always file tax online

To file jointly you include both people’s worldwide income.  The exclusion is based on either bonafide residence in the foreign country (most common for new immigrants) or physical presence in the US (if immigrant was in the US <330 days of the tax year)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
5 hours ago, payxibka said:

If you want to file jointly then you follow the instructions accordingly be electing to be treated as a us taxpayer for the entire year 

hi, thank you for your reply.  i was in the states only for 16 days last year (i came to the states with IR1 visa.) and took care of my tax in japan already.  if my husband file tax separately, he files only his tax and i don't need to file tax in the states for 2019? 

5 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

We always file tax online

To file jointly you include both people’s worldwide income.  The exclusion is based on either bonafide residence in the foreign country (most common for new immigrants) or physical presence in the US (if immigrant was in the US <330 days of the tax year)

thank you for your reply! like i wrote above, i was in the states only for 16 days last year. and came here as a new immigrant with IR1 visa. we even called IRS to ask what we should do in our case, but they didn't know.  do you think its easier for him to file separately? i feel like its more complicated to file jointly. plus, i dont want to pay tax for my income which i already paid tax for in my country. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Kukka.H said:

hi, thank you for your reply.  i was in the states only for 16 days last year (i came to the states with IR1 visa.) and took care of my tax in japan already.  if my husband file tax separately, he files only his tax and i don't need to file tax in the states for 2019? 

thank you for your reply! like i wrote above, i was in the states only for 16 days last year. and came here as a new immigrant with IR1 visa. we even called IRS to ask what we should do in our case, but they didn't know.  do you think its easier for him to file separately? i feel like its more complicated to file jointly. plus, i dont want to pay tax for my income which i already paid tax for in my country. 

All of our spouses came here as new immigrants.

It is much easier to file jointly as filing separately will likely result in a much higher tax bill.

You will qualify for the full exclusion and your income will not affect your household tax bill.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.