KTH1010

Health Insurance Requirement

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Was anyone able to buy a comprehensive health insurance plan for their family member applying for AOS. I called around and I was told that only citizens it green card holders can receive comprehensive insurance. If they are just an applicant they can only offer transitioning short term coverage. It seems to me like something like this will not fullfil the requirement for private health insurance. What do you do in a situation like this? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, KTH1010 said:

Was anyone able to buy a comprehensive health insurance plan for their family member applying for AOS. I called around and I was told that only citizens it green card holders can receive comprehensive insurance. If they are just an applicant they can only offer transitioning short term coverage. It seems to me like something like this will not fullfil the requirement for private health insurance. What do you do in a situation like this? 

Nonsense,  I was able to get full coverage insurance for my wife within 30 days of her arrival and almost a year prior to her green card.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
44 minutes ago, KTH1010 said:

Self deleted 

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Nonsense,  I was able to get full coverage insurance for my wife within 30 days of her arrival and almost a year prior to her green card.

OP may be talking about other relatives able to AOS eg parents 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

What difference.   She qualified as an applicant for adjustment of status 

https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/immigration-status/

YMMV

Timeline
10 minutes ago, payxibka said:

What difference.   She qualified as an applicant for adjustment of status 

https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/immigration-status/

Spouses can  be added to employer insurance , can’t. Marrying is a special event for  ACA ..
Pending AOS is not a “ change in immigrant status” until the AOS is granted 

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Yes, I am talking about parents. I can't add her to the insurance plan through my work. And hopefully, they will give a work permit before the green card. Maybe she can get some coverage through the job by the time they conduct an interview. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, KTH1010 said:

Yes, I am talking about parents. I can't add her to the insurance plan through my work. And hopefully, they will give a work permit before the green card. Maybe she can get some coverage through the job by the time they conduct an interview. 

That will work. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Spouses can  be added to employer insurance , can’t. Marrying is a special event  ACA ..

No employer insurance here.  

Covid 19 is becoming a special enrollment event.  At least I a dozen states and I expect more to follow suit

Applicants for any of these statuses qualify to use the Marketplace:

• Temporary Protected Status with Employment Authorization
  • Special Immigrant Juvenile Status
  • Victim of Trafficking Visa
  • Adjustment to LPR Status
  • Asylum (see note below)
  • Withholding of Deportation, or Withholding of Removal, under the immigration laws or under the Convention against Torture (CAT) (see note below)

YMMV

Timeline
10 minutes ago, payxibka said:

No employer insurance here.  

Covid 19 is becoming a special enrollment event.  At least I a dozen states and I expect more to follow suit

• Withholding of Deportation, or Withholding of Removal, under the immigration laws or under the Convention against Torture (CAT) (see note below)
Edited by Lil bear
Self deleted

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My understanding with the ACA is you need the NoA from filing to adjust.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Just now, Lil bear said:

may or may not happen. Still does not negate the ACA requirement of being an LPR or USC. Simply opens up the opportunity for this not covered to apply without waiting for general enrolment period.

What part of the below statuses indicates LPR status required?  It clearly says applicants adjusting to LPR status

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

What part of the below statuses indicates LPR status required?  It clearly says applicants adjusting to LPR status

Ok. Read that now   Thx 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

My understanding with the ACA is you need the NoA from filing to adjust.

K thx. I stand corrected ... we’ll seated actually .. at the park with 4 wild grandkids and 1 pokey puppy ! 

Timeline
2 hours ago, payxibka said:

So I actually called marketplace and they told me they do not sell comprehensive insurances for those who are applying for AOS, only if you have a green card. Now I am confused. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.