Caitlin Kennedy

SSN

13 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My fiance is here and we want to apply for his SSN. To confirm:

-Wait two weeks from POE to apply - I have seen one week, two weeks on here - any advice?

The below is what you need to provide:

1. The SS-5 form you downloaded and filled out. https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

2. Your Passport (with the K-1 Visa in it)

3. Your valid I-94: Electronic I-94 Copy; or (for older entries) an original (and bring a front/backside copy) of a valid paper I-94 For this, we went to the site to get it and it doesnt look like a form or anything, it just has his arrival information and it says to print off the webpage - is that what they want? Or is there an official I-94 document?

4. Another form of valid ID (as defined in the SS-5 instructions)

5. You should also print document RM 10211.530

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I went there the day after my arrival, just with my passport and it worked out just fine. I just checked that my arrival was documented in the I-94 and had no problems at all. 

You're right with number 3, you can just print that out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Your passport scan at entry populates a USCIS database (called S.A.V.E) of your arrival as a K1. In the old days, it was all handled manually by data entry clerks which is where the 2 week delay suggestion came from. It’s instant now so if they don’t find his entry by the next day, they won’t find it in two weeks. 

The problem I have seen many UK people report is the exact name was not found in the SAVE database. I keep wondering if UK passports don’t scan properly.  If his passport says

JOHN  DAVID  SMITH, but his passport scanned as JOHNDAVID SMITH, it’s not a match.  They will have to manually verify with USCIS (by sending off correspondence)  that JOHN DAVID and JOHNDAVID are the same person. If you get told manual verification is required, keep after them because workers have been known to not get it sent off promptly or letting the application just sit there after verification is received. He only has 76 days from his POE to get a SSN as a K1 applicant. After that window closes, he isn’t eligible again until he has  EAD approval. 

Social Security offfice workers are not always experienced with K1s or immigration. The point of taking that printed RM document is in case they say he is not eligible for a SSN. You can pull out that document and point to the line about K1s and say “This here says he is eligible.” The RM document is just the Social Security Administration’s own rules about eligibility in case you get any flack. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We went to get my husbands SSN 3 days after he came. Luckily he was in the system so they processed the application and made a copy of his passport. Bring the I-94 with you as well just in case (it just basically just has the information of when he came here and that he is here on a K1). We also brought his birth certificate, but they didnt end up needing it. Its been 3 weeks since we've applied, and we're still waiting. They said it will take at minimum 4 weeks.

My advice would be to go now and see if he's in the system, so that it can be processed asap. You'll want to get it done before the wedding just to be safe.

On 3/6/2020 at 1:10 PM, Haydnator said:

We went to get my husbands SSN 3 days after he came. Luckily he was in the system so they processed the application and made a copy of his passport. Bring the I-94 with you as well just in case (it just basically just has the information of when he came here and that he is here on a K1). We also brought his birth certificate, but they didnt end up needing it. Its been 3 weeks since we've applied, and we're still waiting. They said it will take at minimum 4 weeks.

My advice would be to go now and see if he's in the system, so that it can be processed asap. You'll want to get it done before the wedding just to be safe.

Thanks for the information! We will bring all of that. We actually did our courthouse wedding Friday, so thats that, but we will go this week. Thanks!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Caitlin Kennedy said:

Thanks for the information! We will bring all of that. We actually did our courthouse wedding Friday, so thats that, but we will go this week. Thanks!

Don’t even bring up the marriage to Social Security. Some clueless workers have actually told people they were no longer K1s (eligible for SSN) because they got married, but now a K3 (not eligible for SSN). Your K1 visa does not change to a K3. Hogwash!  Just best to avoid the topic that you married in case you get a worker who doesn’t know immigration. That’s none of Social Security’s concern. 

19 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Don’t even bring up the marriage to Social Security. Some clueless workers have actually told people they were no longer K1s (eligible for SSN) because they got married, but now a K3 (not eligible for SSN). Your K1 visa does not change to a K3. Hogwash!  Just best to avoid the topic that you married in case you get a worker who doesn’t know immigration. That’s none of Social Security’s concern. 

Thanks, we planned our courthouse wedding right away so we can proceed with the green card/etc so didnt know we should have waited. If they ask, I will have to tell them the truth of course but also know that it doesnt change our K-1 Status. Thanks.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Caitlin Kennedy said:

Thanks, we planned our courthouse wedding right away so we can proceed with the green card/etc so didnt know we should have waited. If they ask, I will have to tell them the truth of course but also know that it doesnt change our K-1 Status. Thanks.

You misunderstood what I meant. You don’t have to wait to marry. You can get a SSN before or after marriage. Marriage  has nothing to do with a SSN. It’s just a few people get told incorrect information by social security clerks SO I was saying don’t go in saying “We got married!! “  It’s not a part of the SSN application.  

2 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

You misunderstood what I meant. You don’t have to wait to marry. You can get a SSN before or after marriage. Marriage  has nothing to do with a SSN. It’s just a few people get told incorrect information by social security clerks SO I was saying don’t go in saying “We got married!! “  It’s not a part of the SSN application.  

Thanks, good to know :)

Hi, we are filling out the SS-5 for the SSN and for question 5 Citizenship. It says U.S. Citizen, Legal Alien Allowed to Work, Legal Alien Not Allowed to Work, and other. I assume we put Legal Alien Allowed To Work (because once he gets green card he can) can someone confirm? Sounds like a stupid question but we want to 100% make sure :) Thanks.

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Caitlin Kennedy said:

Hi, we are filling out the SS-5 for the SSN and for question 5 Citizenship. It says U.S. Citizen, Legal Alien Allowed to Work, Legal Alien Not Allowed to Work, and other. I assume we put Legal Alien Allowed To Work (because once he gets green card he can) can someone confirm? Sounds like a stupid question but we want to 100% make sure :) Thanks.

Confirmed. 

Hi, I went to a Social Security Administration office today to apply for my first SS card. After handing me my receipt the clerk told me when I get my marriage certificate (we are doing K-1 visa) I would need to go to the USCIS Office in downtown Chicago (where I am based) with my SS card application receipt and marriage certificate so they can finish my application. Can anyone verify this? I haven't read this before. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, SeanDowney0309 said:

Hi, I went to a Social Security Administration office today to apply for my first SS card. After handing me my receipt the clerk told me when I get my marriage certificate (we are doing K-1 visa) I would need to go to the USCIS Office in downtown Chicago (where I am based) with my SS card application receipt and marriage certificate so they can finish my application. Can anyone verify this? I haven't read this before. 

I don’t think that is correct. A K1 is eligible before or after marriage until 2 weeks before their 90 days are up. You don’t have a timeline so I don’t know how long you’ve been here.

As stated before in this thread, K1 people get told a lot of misinformation. For a K1, a marriage certificate is not part of getting a SSN. If they can’t find your name in the database, they have to verify your status with USCIS. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.