41 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

as i fellow canadian, i did the same thing! you are FINE!

the 90 day myth is similar to the 'invitation letter for a b2 visa' myth lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Even if the 90 day rule did exists, it gets waived and is ignored for immediate relatives of USC (spouse, parent, children under age of 21)

I-130 JOURNEY FOR 2020 Minor Child of LPR (F2A Online Application, MNL Consular Processing)

07/29/20 Online Filing for I-130, Same day Priority date 
07/31/20 Paper NOA1 mailed by USCIS, received on 08/03/20

07/31/20, 08/15/20, 09/01,20 Expedite Requests denied three times (self-submission and congressman outreach)

09/28/20: I-130 Approved by USCIS, received mailed NOA2 on 10/01/20

10/01/20: NVC electronically receives I-130 petition from USCIS, generates NVC case & invoice number, paid all NVC fees same day

10/05/19: CEAC ready for document uploads

TBD: Waiting for NBI Police Clearance to complete all upload of NVC docs

I-130 JOURNEY FOR 2019 Parent of USC (IR-5 Paper Application, MNL Consular Processing)

01/18/19 NOA1 I-130 (Priority Date)

08/02/19 Called USCIS to expedite I-130 after 196 days pending,  emailed expedite evidence 08/06/1,  expedite approved 08/09/19

08/13/19: I-130 Approved by USCIS, USCIS sent petition file to NVC 08/29/19 

09/09/19: NVC receives I-130 petition from USCISgenerates case & invoice number on 10/03/19 (paid all NVC fees same day)

10/07/19: CEAC ready for document uploads (AOS and IV documents uploaded to CEAC same day)

11/25/19: NVC Case Complete, NVC emails interview schedules interview on 12/18/19 for 01/06/20

01/06/20: IR-5 Interview in Manila Philippines embassy (MNL); forgot original signed I-864 resulted in 221GUSEM receives original signed I-864 via 2GO courier on 02/04/20
3/4/20: Immigrant Visa Issued by USEM, 2GO carrier picked up passport from USEM 3/6/20 and delivers to residence on 3/10/20

6/10/20: US POE

6/13/20: SSN card mailed date by SSA, delivered to residence on 6/18/20

7/3/20: LPR Green Card ordered, Production on 7/24/20, Mailed by USCIS on 7/27/20, delivered to residence on 7/29/20

I-130/ I-485 JOURNEY FOR 2019 Parent of USC (IR-5 Paper Application)

01/18/19: NOA1 Received I-130 (priority date, was not concurrently filed with I-485 as we were not sure if we were going to CP or AOS)

06/19/19: USPS receives I-485 package to lockbox (priority date); 06/24/19: Credit card charged ,  USCIS mails out NOA1 06/25/19 with receipt numbers (assigned to MSC National Benefits center),  Received NOA1 from USPS (07/02/19:)

07/05/19:  USCIS mailsout biometrics appointment notice with appointment date for 07/24/19, Received biometrics notice letter from USPS 07/11/19
07/12/19: Walk-in biometrics completed

07/18/19: Called USCIS to expedite EADReceived mailed USCIS instructions on where to fax expedite evidence from USPS 07/26/19 Faxed requested evidence for EAD expedite  07/27/19
07/31/19: USCIS approves EAD I-765 and Advanced Parole I-131, USCIS mails out combo EAD/ AP card 08/02/19, Received combo EAD/ AP card via USPS Priority Mail 08/07/19

08/08/19: I-485 Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
08/26/19: I-130 Approved (NOA2) by USCIS

12/10/19: FO sends out I-485 interview appointment details for 01/28/20 interview date 

02/06/20: I-485 case approved and NOA2 mailed
02/05/20: Green card ordered, Production and mailed 02/10/20, delivered to residence on 
02/12/20

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
19 minutes ago, ultrasoul said:

Even if the 90 day rule did exists, it gets waived and is ignored for immediate relatives of USC (spouse, parent, children under age of 21)

Please post a reference for that statement.  I think you are confusing that DOS guidance with bars for unlawful presence.....which totally different.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

I don't think the attorney was 100% wrong as many have said here. I think the attorney OP spoke to might not have explained the 90 day rule to him thoroughly. Yes as some have explained the 90 day rule is a rule form the DOS and USCIS is not bound to follow it, BUT IT CAN. Just because USCIS is not bound by a rule from another agency it does not mean they cannot follow it. In fact when the 30/60 day rule was in place, USCIS did apply it in many cases and when people appealed the application of the rule to the AAO the AAO dismissed the arguments that USCIS could not apply the rule and said yes it can.

What I am trying to say is, on the chance that the issues does come up during your interview you need to be ready to explain why she did not misrep upon entry (which it sounds like you already have a timeline and an explanation as to why it was not misrep).

NOTICE: My intention if to provide legal information and NOT legal advice. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, josue818 said:

What I am trying to say is, on the chance that the issues does come up during your interview you need to be ready to explain why she did not misrep upon entry (which it sounds like you already have a timeline and an explanation as to why it was not misrep).

What are the chances that the subject will even arise during the AOS interview?  I have heard of only one case in which that happened....and it was due to possible specific misrepresentation by an immigrant which had occurred during a secondary interview at POE.  I have heard of no other cases where intent was even mentioned.  There is no reason for a person to wait until after 90 days to apply for adjustment.  How would waiting 90 days change a person's intent from 3 months earlier?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 minutes ago, missileman said:

What are the chances that the subject will even arise during the AOS interview?  I have heard of only one case in which that happened....and it was due to possible specific misrepresentation by an immigrant which had occurred during a secondary interview at POE.  I have heard of no other cases where intent was even mentioned.  There is no reason for a person to wait until after 90 days to apply for adjustment.  How would waiting 90 days change a person's intent from 3 months earlier?

I never said the chances were high, but a chance is a chance no matter how slim. Hence I also said it looks like OP already has an explanation in case an officer was to ask spouse about misrep. Additionally, whether the marriage toook place within 90 days matters because the DOS rule creates a presumption. Which like I said can be overcome. (see below). However, I don't think OP and spouse will be asked about it at the interview because it does not tend to happen. However, no one can say with certainty that it wont happen, because it can.

The 90-day rule subjects a nonimmigrant to a presumption of having made a willful material misrepresentation at the time of admission or application for a nonimmigrant visa when that nonimmigrant enters the United States and within 90 days engages in conduct inconsistent with his or her nonimmigrant status. The Foreign Affairs Manual at 9 FAM 302.9-4(B)(3) enumerates the following examples of inconsistent conduct:

• working without authorization
  • enrolling in school when academic study is not authorized by one’s nonimmigrant status
  • marrying a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident and taking up residence in the United States when one is in B or F status
  • undertaking any other activity for which a change of status or adjustment of status would be required, without the benefit of such a change or adjustment.

When someone engages in conduct that triggers the presumption of material misrepresentation, it is that person’s burden to rebut the presumption.

NOTICE: My intention if to provide legal information and NOT legal advice. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
26 minutes ago, josue818 said:

I don't think the attorney was 100% wrong as many have said here. I think the attorney OP spoke to might not have explained the 90 day rule to him thoroughly. Yes as some have explained the 90 day rule is a rule form the DOS and USCIS is not bound to follow it, BUT IT CAN. Just because USCIS is not bound by a rule from another agency it does not mean they cannot follow it. In fact when the 30/60 day rule was in place, USCIS did apply it in many cases and when people appealed the application of the rule to the AAO the AAO dismissed the arguments that USCIS could not apply the rule and said yes it can.

Thank you for this.  It makes sense.  Sounds like it is used as an indicator of intent.  We are the real deal with so much documentation and openness of how a visit to Arizona turned into California travel and then organic quality time with my family and then her family.  All we can do is tell the truth and show them who we are and how important she is to her stepdaughters and to me.  And bring lots of evidence of it and pray and hope for the best.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It reminds me of winning the Lottery, well unlike this situation somebody does win the lottery.

A finding of Misrepresentation is not made on a hunch, there has to be supportive evidence, also begs the question what happens next? Asked to file a waiver in country so apart from collecting a fee, which of course is offset against the work entailed, what would be the point for something that is considered a non issue?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

It reminds me of winning the Lottery, well unlike this situation somebody does win the lottery.

A finding of Misrepresentation is not made on a hunch, there has to be supportive evidence, also begs the question what happens next? Asked to file a waiver in country so apart from collecting a fee, which of course is offset against the work entailed, what would be the point for something that is considered a non issue?

I'm sorry.  I'm not following this one as clearly.  Are you saying why would they bother raising something since you can just get a waiver anyway?  Or am I missing what you are saying?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

First there has to be a case, not a hunch.

Obviously there are in Country findings requiring waivers but they are for serious issues, criminal history etc.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Boiler said:

First there has to be a case, not a hunch.

Obviously there are in Country findings requiring waivers but they are for serious issues, criminal history etc.

GOT IT!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.