43 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, arken said:

If you are saying you can’t do it alone emotionally, then i understand, apply whenever you are ready. I was more pointing that you are allowed to apply by yourself at this time, considering processing times and fees.

As said, you will remain an LPR even if your GC is expired or lost, whether you renew/replace it or not. 

Yes, it's psychological. And thank you for the rest, it helps a lot!

• 4 months later...

Greetings, it's me again. I've followed up a bit your useful info-it relieved me to be honest. Now, preparing to renew my card, I have basic logistic obstacles,  and with the pandemic, they are increased, which will create delays after the expiration date. And would need info related to the impact of an expired card:

1. any impact on new job? i.e. statement it's needed if change of jobs (other reason being need it to travel). So for new job, for mean this means it's/may be a problem?

2. any impact on SSN/card?

3. any impact while advancing for professional licensure? (means I have to deal with state/fed certifications/ accreditations prof.)

4. law says must "carry" a "valid" card, any risk while in this transition process? or what other id card or other identification will do until then? (utility bills, bank accounts, anything has my address on?)

For the Application form per-se:

I understand I only need to file the form I-90 and only document needed is a "copy" of expired card, correct? And if I apply online-I think it's possible-, how can I send the copy of the card? I don't have right now access to scanner, but only photo, will that do?

Again, I understood there is no other form needed, but these 2 documents, correct?

I forgot the name of the location of the initial port of entry; my husband took care of everything, to ease my other obligations. 

Location where I applied: my husband applied in the US for me, while location where we received visa, was in other location/country, where we had the interview. This is correct?

Date I entered, was of course the 1st time-at port of entry. 

I haven't been out of the country after the ROC. Unfortunately I couldn't take care of things after my husband deceased and some took advantage, being new in everything. 

I'm sorry if these questions seem stupid, -I do find that im bothering you folks, given what others experience- Thanks in advance for anything you may clarify...

And stay safe and well!!

17 hours ago, Bluelake1 said:

Greetings, it's me again. I've followed up a bit your useful info-it relieved me to be honest. Now, preparing to renew my card, I have basic logistic obstacles,  and with the pandemic, they are increased, which will create delays after the expiration date. And would need info related to the impact of an expired card:

1. any impact on new job? i.e. statement it's needed if change of jobs (other reason being need it to travel). So for new job, for mean this means it's/may be a problem?

3. any impact while advancing for professional licensure? (means I have to deal with state/fed certifications/ accreditations prof.)

4. law says must "carry" a "valid" card, any risk while in this transition process? or what other id card or other identification will do until then? (utility bills, bank accounts, anything has my address on?)

I understand I only need to file the form I-90 and only document needed is a "copy" of expired card, correct? And if I apply online-I think it's possible-, how can I send the copy of the card? I don't have right now access to scanner, but only photo, will that do?

Again, I understood there is no other form needed, but these 2 documents, correct?

I forgot the name of the location of the initial port of entry; my husband took care of everything, to ease my other obligations. 

Location where I applied: my husband applied in the US for me, while location where we received visa, was in other location/country, where we had the interview. This is correct?

I haven't been out of the country after the ROC. Unfortunately I couldn't take care of things after my husband deceased and some took advantage, being new in everything. 

I'm sorry if these questions seem stupid, -I do find that im bothering you folks, given what others experience- Thanks in advance for anything you may clarify...

And stay safe and well!!

Anyone? :) 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

May impact a new job application if the employer wants to see an unexpired GC. Usually a SS card and state ID should be sufficient though.

No

No

No risk in general unless you travel in the border area. Carry the expired GC with i90 reciept notice.

correct. If the online application doesn’t accept GC image, you can use scan app Like AdobeScan in any smartphone to make pdf of the GC. 

Where you applied and where you got the visa would be same -  Foreign country where you had the interview. 

Check your passport if you have, it will info on the port of entry otherwise if you remember the airport you landed, use that city.

And stay safe and well!!

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Thank you so much, you can't imagine how precious these little infos are. I can apply online as I understand. Only thing remaining is to find a proper way to print/send my card. 

Again, thank you so so much. And if others are widowed and experience issues, I will be more than glad to help as much as I can in return.

• 3 weeks later...

Take 3. Greetings, it’s me again. Still preparing to renew my perm GC and revise details: 

1. A big detail is change of address: I changed temp places in 2 states until I stabilized in one. But I I didn’t know I had to inform USCIS each time I had to move, which concerns me highly. 

a) how concerned should I be following the harsh punishments stated in the rules? 

b) given I have to file the A-11 form ASAP, will be sufficient to only provide the new address? Only? Without the last address which was temp in another state? ( I mean by only because the last address has no asterisk as requirement) or skip the temp addressed ( in one state) and only provide the original address where I lived with husband, for them to have it as a reminder, in case  they may necessitate it. 

c ) basically this b) question is because I can’t provide a whole list of addresses, as it has only 2 simple sections: new address and last address and I feel terrible I didn’t know I had to inform them. 

Its like the form and the reality don’t fit and also because of my mistake. 

d) also concerns if there may be another form to complete in case of change of states? If I’m correct they may want to know if was elsewhere in the country, no? 

Am am I thinking too much?

Overall I provided new address to irs and ssn which proves I didn’t made the omission on purpose. 

And and all in all was busy overcoming typical discrimination issues foreigners encounter on various levels. I asked a lawyer what to do when became widow, said nothing so I didn’t think about  it. 

Oh oh my I wrote too much!! Thanks in advance for any info !! 

Ps  if anyone may help as I forgot to mention it’s urgent. As is another point I forgot: does it have an impact on UI? I’ill be in the middle of the process to reapply while I’ll be certifying weekly, while waiting for the receipt. 

This section is well worded, all consequences of loss if my spouse!!

Thanks in advance

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

1.a.  Zero.  Your current "stable" address is fine.

b.     Yes.

c.     Read the form's instructions carefully and interpret them literally.  Answer as is required.

d.    Immigration issues are Federal, so there's nothing state-specific.

9 hours ago, Bluelake1 said:

am I thinking too much?

Yes, but it's OK.  You're not alone. :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

10 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

1.a.  Zero.  Your current "stable" address is fine.

b.     Yes.

c.     Read the form's instructions carefully and interpret them literally.  Answer as is required.

d.    Immigration issues are Federal, so there's nothing state-specific.

Yes, but it's OK.  You're not alone. :) 

Thank you so much!! Last crucial things:

1. Unemployment: I’ll be in the middle of the process when gc expires while I’m transitioning, I mean waiting for the receipt from USCIS, or postal certified mail receipt?

a. Can I still file a new claim?

b. Certify weekly? 

2. SS benefits for which I’ll have to register in advance? 

1 and 2 are vital living expenses without which I won’t be able to rush forward- due to all covid delays.

3. AR-11 and I-90: send first before or after  the second?  

In I-90 when you mentioned “yes”, it’s ok not to file the last address which is not required ( no asterisk)? 

And port of entry question I only have the state but unsure of the city, ( I’m mostly  certain but I take a chance). All my stuff is in another location I can’t attend right now to get the info. 

All ll I’ll have to organize within what’s open or not or delayed of the agencies I’ll have to deal with in this regards. 

Again thank you grandly!!! it’s so difficult to do this without him ....

5 hours ago, Bluelake1 said:

Anyone can help? 

It would be precious, maybe more explanation is needed, I’m to develop something for the disenfranchised helpful for what we experience today. Obviously I’m not good with paperwork and will be forever grateful for any help as little as it can be. Thanks in advance :)

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

For you, it might be best that you have a lawyer help you with the process.

04/21/20: IR-5 Submitted Online 

04/21/20: NOA1 Issued online

04/27/20: NOA1 Received via postal mail from Texas Service Center

04/27/20: Touched

04/28/20: Case Transferred to California Service Center

05/14/20: Touched 

05/15/20: Touched 

07/01/20: Touched

07/06/20: Touched 

07/06/20: RFE Issued (not available online)

07/16/20: RFE Received in Mail

07/20/20: DNA Done in USA

08/09/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted Online

08/26/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted via mail

09/01/20: Touched

10/28/21: DNA test results Received by USCIS

11/12/21: NOA2

Filed: IR-5 Timeline
1 hour ago, Bluelake1 said:

What makes you say that may I know?

Don’t take it negative, just trying to be help you after reading these posts since January of this year. You have been asking for help for six months and things are still not clear. You don’t want to make a mistake in this important process and end up in a situation where you have expired GC, expired Driver License, and you are unable to work.  Lawyer will cost you money, but minimize the impact of mistakes.   In long term, you may end up saving money and time by hiring a lawyer.   

VJ has a section for professional help if you want to go that route.

04/21/20: IR-5 Submitted Online 

04/21/20: NOA1 Issued online

04/27/20: NOA1 Received via postal mail from Texas Service Center

04/27/20: Touched

04/28/20: Case Transferred to California Service Center

05/14/20: Touched 

05/15/20: Touched 

07/01/20: Touched

07/06/20: Touched 

07/06/20: RFE Issued (not available online)

07/16/20: RFE Received in Mail

07/20/20: DNA Done in USA

08/09/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted Online

08/26/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted via mail

09/01/20: Touched

10/28/21: DNA test results Received by USCIS

11/12/21: NOA2

To increase the chance of your questions being seen and answered, you can start a new thread, explaining your case briefly followed by the specific inquiries -the clearer, the better-.

And the title should be related to the inquiries. 😊

Good luck! 

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.