Olusola

Mom's i130 Visa interview is in 2 hrs. I can't sleep. Has anyone ever been denied for a parent?

46 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I'm a US citizen. Veteran. Got my citizenship through service. 

Filed for my mom 2017. Been smooth sailing (I'm the one that delayed it this long).

She's in Nigeria. 

Only itch is she was advised to change her name years ago by some idiot after my dad filed for her and my brother and they were denied. My dad is divorced from an american woman. Not my issue or story. But we've been honest and clear about everything from the start and that includes her previous name and that she's been denied before. I'm thinking if despite them knowing everything from point A to now and they still processed it to this point, we shouldn't have much to worry about. 

Has any Nigerian filed for their parent? Have you ever been denied in the parent child filing? 

7 hours ago, Olusola said:

I'm a US citizen. Veteran. Got my citizenship through service. 

Filed for my mom 2017. Been smooth sailing (I'm the one that delayed it this long).

She's in Nigeria. 

Only itch is she was advised to change her name years ago by some idiot after my dad filed for her and my brother and they were denied. My dad is divorced from an american woman. Not my issue or story. But we've been honest and clear about everything from the start and that includes her previous name and that she's been denied before. I'm thinking if despite them knowing everything from point A to now and they still processed it to this point, we shouldn't have much to worry about. 

Has any Nigerian filed for their parent? Have you ever been denied in the parent child filing? 

At the end it’s going to be good news! How did it go? 

Hey Olusola Congratulations to you and your mom for getting approved. I just filed for my parents last week and they are in nigeria as well. I am surprised it took this long for your mom to get approved I thought the whole process took 6 months. Was there a reason the process took so long since 2017 or is that the Norm. Thank you

Timeline
1 hour ago, YNWA#1Fan said:

Hey Olusola Congratulations to you and your mom for getting approved. I just filed for my parents last week and they are in nigeria as well. I am surprised it took this long for your mom to get approved I thought the whole process took 6 months. Was there a reason the process took so long since 2017 or is that the Norm. Thank you

Hi. Thank you for the kind words!

And yes, she was actually approved by the end of 2017. I filed sometime around June of 2017 so yeah it did take 6 months. She was approved and then it was transferred to the NVC. I delayed it because I had a lot going on. Some of the steps they don't move forward unless you do your part. So like the NVC won't do anything until you pay the fees, choose the representative or attorney, etc. Then they also have to wait for some documents from you as well. So we delayed some of those steps on our end otherwise she could've easily been here since the mid of 2018 at most. So at most it should take a year it you do everything on time

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
4 hours ago, Olusola said:

Hi. Thank you for the kind words!

And yes, she was actually approved by the end of 2017. I filed sometime around June of 2017 so yeah it did take 6 months. She was approved and then it was transferred to the NVC. I delayed it because I had a lot going on. Some of the steps they don't move forward unless you do your part. So like the NVC won't do anything until you pay the fees, choose the representative or attorney, etc. Then they also have to wait for some documents from you as well. So we delayed some of those steps on our end otherwise she could've easily been here since the mid of 2018 at most. So at most it should take a year it you do everything on time

Congrats to you and your mum!!!!! I know that feeling of anxiety when you have someone in the interview. I am currently waiting for my spouse's IL too. The wait throughout the process is frustrating but we are almost there. My joy will know no bounds on the day we finally get the IV. Congratulations once more.

So long as the biological relationship exists and can be shown, all documents are provided, they don't have a medical or criminal or other inadmissibility, and they have a suitable financial sponsor, the visa should be issued.

Check off the boxes and you're fine. It's night and day from like a marriage-based case, where there is much more discretion and items to consider.

Congrats.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

So long as the biological relationship exists and can be shown, all documents are provided, they don't have a medical or criminal or other inadmissibility, and they have a suitable financial sponsor, the visa should be issued.

Check off the boxes and you're fine. It's night and day from like a marriage-based case, where there is much more discretion and items to consider.

Congrats.

My mom had been turned away twice before. My dad was also an idiot who made her change her name. Thankfully I was honest and divulged everything. Maybe my veteran status helped as well

5 hours ago, FPope said:

Congrats to you and your mum!!!!! I know that feeling of anxiety when you have someone in the interview. I am currently waiting for my spouse's IL too. The wait throughout the process is frustrating but we are almost there. My joy will know no bounds on the day we finally get the IV. Congratulations once more.

Yea I'm sure when it's time to get married I'll have to face this as well

18 minutes ago, Olusola said:

My mom had been turned away twice before. My dad was also an idiot who made her change her name. Thankfully I was honest and divulged everything. Maybe my veteran status helped as well

Turned away for what/why?

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline
11 hours ago, geowrian said:

Turned away for what/why?

This was when my dad filed for her...he was married to an american woman before 

8 minutes ago, Olusola said:

This was when my dad filed for her...he was married to an american woman before 

So marriage-based? As noted, that is night and day from immigrating via a biological relationship.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline
4 hours ago, geowrian said:

So marriage-based? As noted, that is night and day from immigrating via a biological relationship.

Seems you're doing an adjustment of status. 

I brought my little brother as a visitor and filed an adjustment for him with an n600. My dad is his biological father and a citizen.

We filed it last March and got a status update of actively being reviewed after they went for biometrics last june. Since July it's been stuck on actively being reviewed. How  long did your approval take?

7 minutes ago, Olusola said:

Seems you're doing an adjustment of status. 

I brought my little brother as a visitor and filed an adjustment for him with an n600. My dad is his biological father and a citizen.

We filed it last March and got a status update of actively being reviewed after they went for biometrics last june. Since July it's been stuck on actively being reviewed. How  long did your approval take?

I'm a USC. My now-spouse came to the US on a K-1 (fiancee) visa.

The timeline for AOS heavily depends on your local field office. It can take from just a few months to 18-24+ months. Ours (Philadelphia) took about a year. Saint Paul (based on your profile) is taking ~10.5-17.5 months according to USCIS. So they are coming up on that timeframe...hopefully they hear something soon.

Just to clarify, you didn't bring him as a visitor (there is no sponsorship of a tourist visa).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline
6 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I'm a USC. My now-spouse came to the US on a K-1 (fiancee) visa.

The timeline for AOS heavily depends on your local field office. It can take from just a few months to 18-24+ months. Ours (Philadelphia) took about a year. Saint Paul (based on your profile) is taking ~10.5-17.5 months according to USCIS. So they are coming up on that timeframe...hopefully they hear something soon.

Just to clarify, you didn't bring him as a visitor (there is no sponsorship of a tourist visa).

Right he came as a visitor. And thanks! Inm submitted an inquiry with them so hopefully we hear soon 

Edited by Olusola

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.