praisejourney

Attorney instruction are not the same as the NVC instructions

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am really confused. I called the NVC and they gave me my case number.  Per the NVC case status page it is telling me that I can begin completing steps 1-6. Step 1 says I have to select my representing agent.  My attorney last month however is telling me that I don't have to do anything and that the NVC automatically assigns my attorney as the agent.  They also said that the embassy will forward the attorney automatically the interview date and medical exam from the consulate office.  I am so confused right now because what they are saying doesn't align with the instructions for steps 1-6.  Is this true? 

20 minutes ago, praisejourney said:

I am really confused. I called the NVC and they gave me my case number.  Per the NVC case status page it is telling me that I can begin completing steps 1-6. Step 1 says I have to select my representing agent.  My attorney last month however is telling me that I don't have to do anything and that the NVC automatically assigns my attorney as the agent.  They also said that the embassy will forward the attorney automatically the interview date and medical exam from the consulate office.  I am so confused right now because what they are saying doesn't align with the instructions for steps 1-6.  Is this true? 

You do nothing now with the lawyer or NVC. NVC does not schedule your interview YOU do. Here are the links that you will need. Hank's website is excellent for step by step instructions. Guaranteed if you follow you will be approved of course if everything checks out to the CO's satisfaction.

Link to the Embassy Letter/P3/Checklist

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_gN0SjyLEdkLj1WR7QuBDDJumcvByyGX/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yt5aVD7vlHG-dgnzzKW_5ijRYpkrV5km/view?usp=sharing

Embassy letter for a non-immigrant K=1

https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/the-interview/

Hank's website

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/k-1-visa-application.html

Additional information can be found here:

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/index.html?firstTime=No

Also, there is a sub-forum for the Philippines here on VJ that you should be a part of. It's a good place to read what others are experiencing which will only prepare you for your interview.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Manila US Embassy states that a scanned copy of the signed I-134 is fine, if you don't have the original.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

You do nothing now with the lawyer or NVC. NVC does not schedule your interview YOU do. Here are the links that you will need. Hank's website is excellent for step by step instructions. Guaranteed if you follow you will be approved of course if everything checks out to the CO's satisfaction.

Link to the Embassy Letter/P3/Checklist

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_gN0SjyLEdkLj1WR7QuBDDJumcvByyGX/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yt5aVD7vlHG-dgnzzKW_5ijRYpkrV5km/view?usp=sharing

Embassy letter for a non-immigrant K=1

https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/the-interview/

Hank's website

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/k-1-visa-application.html

Additional information can be found here:

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/index.html?firstTime=No

Also, there is a sub-forum for the Philippines here on VJ that you should be a part of. It's a good place to read what others are experiencing which will only prepare you for your interview.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Manila US Embassy states that a scanned copy of the signed I-134 is fine, if you don't have the original.

I am just confused though because the NVC instructions say that I can complete steps 1-6 now that I have my case number. However the attorney is telling me everything will be completed automatically. It allows me to start filing via www.nvc.state.gov. 

Timeline

I've found the folks here especially Greenbaum and Hank really know the ins and outs of the process in Manila.  

That being said, you should clarify with your attorney what steps they are going to take on your behalf.  For example, our attorney completed the DS160 forms however we had to actually submit them and when the time comes pay the fees and schedule the interview.  

This is all done online, so your attorney may be doing this on your behalf but you should clarify what you've paid them to do and what you have to do.  That may be the source of your confusion.  

One thing is for certain - nothing is automatic and someone somewhere will have to carry out the steps Greenbaum has identified.  If you have to do them then follow his instructions and you'll be just fine.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, praisejourney said:

I am just confused though because the NVC instructions say that I can complete steps 1-6 now that I have my case number. However the attorney is telling me everything will be completed automatically. It allows me to start filing via www.nvc.state.gov. 

The NVC stage will complete automatically,  you will now look to complete the consulate process.   Google Manila embassy website and review steps 1 to 5.  This is what you will do 

YMMV

Timeline
3 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

I just gave $1,000's of dollars of information that most lawyer's don't know about.  If you don't want to follow my advice that's fine. Don't turn down an answer to your question/problem if you don't even go and read the information.  All you did is repeat your original post.  I'm not going to repeat my answer as it still remains to be your best answer. Oy vey!

My apologies. I will go through it tonight. I think I easily get confused because processes are different for immigrant and Nonimmigrant visas and sometimes on their site it seems like the information gets blended. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, RT&MB said:

I've found the folks here especially Greenbaum and Hank really know the ins and outs of the process in Manila.  

That being said, you should clarify with your attorney what steps they are going to take on your behalf.  For example, our attorney completed the DS160 forms however we had to actually submit them and when the time comes pay the fees and schedule the interview.  

This is all done online, so your attorney may be doing this on your behalf but you should clarify what you've paid them to do and what you have to do.  That may be the source of your confusion.  

One thing is for certain - nothing is automatic and someone somewhere will have to carry out the steps Greenbaum has identified.  If you have to do them then follow his instructions and you'll be just fine.  

That is such a good point and where I get confused. They seemed to get upset when I ask them questions like this. :(

Timeline
1 hour ago, payxibka said:

The NVC stage will complete automatically,  you will now look to complete the consulate process.   Google Manila embassy website and review steps 1 to 5.  This is what you will do 

Payibka that is exactly the info I was looking for!!! Thank you!!!

Timeline
1 minute ago, praisejourney said:

That is such a good point and where I get confused. They seemed to get upset when I ask them questions like this. :(

That's easy to fix - just remind them you're the client and you want a detailed scope of work for what steps they'll take.  To Greenbaum's point earlier " information that most lawyer's don't know about"  - they very well may not know what they're doing so they're being evasive.  

Reminds me of an old joke that was for doctors but applies in this case too.  What do they call the person who finishes with the lowest GPA and scores the minimum passing score on the Bar exam?  Attorney...

Timeline
8 minutes ago, RT&MB said:

That's easy to fix - just remind them you're the client and you want a detailed scope of work for what steps they'll take.  To Greenbaum's point earlier " information that most lawyer's don't know about"  - they very well may not know what they're doing so they're being evasive.  

Reminds me of an old joke that was for doctors but applies in this case too.  What do they call the person who finishes with the lowest GPA and scores the minimum passing score on the Bar exam?  Attorney...

They keep getting annoyed at me because they say, "We have a half century worth of experience." I guess asking questions insults their intelligence. I am in fear of asking them questions in fear that they will drop me as a client and bill me. As they have told me that.

Timeline

That's really not acceptable behavior on their part.  It's paramount to extortion.  You have the right to understand the services for which you have paid.  If they're unwilling to follow your instructions as the client then you can always fire them and hire another.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Often attorneys are wrong.  That's the truth plain and simple.  Just look at the recent episode of 90 Day Fiance when Angela's attorney said that a K-1 denial in Nigeria could be appealed and that 60% of appeals are successful.  That's so wrong, just one example of attorneys that don't know the US immigration process very well.  The attorney that Michael saw in Nigeria knew what she was talking about.  Good luck!

Timeline
1 hour ago, RT&MB said:

That's really not acceptable behavior on their part.  It's paramount to extortion.  You have the right to understand the services for which you have paid.  If they're unwilling to follow your instructions as the client then you can always fire them and hire another.  

Isn't that wild? I asked them to reschedule my fiancee's appointment until the NVC packet comes and they told me if she doesn't come we will drop you as a client and we will bill you for services rendered.  They asked me, "Who do you think you are God!"    Thanks RT, it's good to know that there are others out there that believe this type of behavior is unacceptable.  I am always very kind to them. For example I asked them to let me know if there is anything you need from me once you receive the packet.  This question was an annoyance to them.  I can't figure out if this is a cultural issue with having an attorney in the Phils where you should always trust your attorney and never ask questions.  So confused with the service I am receiving.  In America, we are used to customer service were people gladly answer your questions.  In fact, you can't even hang up the phone without the customer service rep asking if you have more questions. HEHEHEHEHE

Timeline
1 hour ago, RT&MB said:

Thanks RT. The problem is if I fire them they will charge me $1000 and I lose the $1000 I already invested. :(  They also charged me $750 for an RFE. Starting with a new attorney would cost $1500.  Ahhh and I am so afraid to do the process without an attorney, I just love my fiancee to much.

Edited by praisejourney
forgot to add something.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.