23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

You’re not the only one - tried twice for a SSN and was denied twice. Two different offices. I had no real need for it so I gave up and decided to just wait for my EAD. I don’t have any info about the ITIN but wanted you to know you’re not the only one who has been refused a SSN.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline
On 1/12/2020 at 10:45 AM, emeline29 said:

You’re not the only one - tried twice for a SSN and was denied twice. Two different offices. I had no real need for it so I gave up and decided to just wait for my EAD. I don’t have any info about the ITIN but wanted you to know you’re not the only one who has been refused a SSN.

Thanks! We’ve been refused and they said it’s due to his immigration status. Which doesn’t make sense but the lady at the office said some K1’s do get denied. Oh well guess more waiting for us. At least he’s here with me ❤️

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 1/9/2020 at 4:33 PM, AndrewF said:

It really is who you deal with.  We applied for my wife's SSN after we got married which can be tricky.  Lady at the SSN office in Iowa was nice enough to submit for a SSN in my wife's original name followed by a request for name change to her married name.  

Hi fellow Des Moines person!

The lady we had at the SSN office was definitely not nice, but we at least had no issues with getting my husband's SSN. She tried very hard to find a reason to not do it, but I came prepared with all of the paperwork.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
3 hours ago, fayrog said:

Hi fellow Des Moines person!

The lady we had at the SSN office was definitely not nice, but we at least had no issues with getting my husband's SSN. She tried very hard to find a reason to not do it, but I came prepared with all of the paperwork.

Hi!  I'm actually located in the booming metropolis of Dubuque lol!  I'm glad she took care of your husband's SSN.  Did you have your interview yet? 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, AndrewF said:

Hi!  I'm actually located in the booming metropolis of Dubuque lol!  I'm glad she took care of your husband's SSN.  Did you have your interview yet? 

No, we got his SSN before we got married. We got married 1/25 and I am currently putting the finishing touches on the AOS, EAD, and advance parole packets. Hopefully I'll have them off sometime this weekend!

Are you having your interview in Des Moines?

Timeline
53 minutes ago, fayrog said:

No, we got his SSN before we got married. We got married 1/25 and I am currently putting the finishing touches on the AOS, EAD, and advance parole packets. Hopefully I'll have them off sometime this weekend!

Are you having your interview in Des Moines?

We filed our AOS in August 2019 and had our interview 19 Dec 2019.  She got her green carr in the mail around 5 January.  So the entire process only took about 5 months from start to finish through the Des Moines Office.  We filed for her EAD and Advance Parole at the same time and she got that card in the mail around 11 Dec 2019.  Her interview was in the Des Moines office.

Edited by AndrewF

Timeline
4 minutes ago, AndrewF said:

We filed our AOS in August 2019 and had our interview 19 Dec 2019.  She got her green carr in the mail around 5 January.  So the entire process only took about 5 months from start to finish through the Des Moines Office.  We filed for her EAD and Advance Parole at the same time and she got that card in the mail around 11 Dec 2019.  Her interview was in the Des Moines office.

That is quick! How was the interview? Any tips?

Timeline
2 hours ago, fayrog said:

That is quick! How was the interview? Any tips?

My wife is big on posting stuff to FB, so we brought a bunch of print outs of her FB page.  Out of the evidence that we brought to establish our marriage, the FB stuff is probably what the interviewing officer spent the most time looking at.  We also had a joint checking account, a joint lease for renting a house, and a car title jointly in our names.  The interviewing officer only asked 3 or 4 basic questions about where we got married, if she had met my family, etc.  Almost all the other questions consisted of the interviewing officer reading and verifying my wife's info/answers on the I-485.  All in all it was a pretty easy experience!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.