abymarie

Courier Pick Up Help (COLOMBIA) [merged threads]

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Aruba
Timeline

Hello, this is my first time posting so please excuse any mistake I make or if this isn't the correct place to post.

We are in the final stages of our K1 visa process. I've made my appointments and everything, but I have a few questions.
I live in Aruba, but got sent to the US Embassy in Colombia (which is a 2 hour flight) I've been reading reviews and saw that it takes 2-3 weeks to pick up your documents after approval by the CSRA, and that you must go in person to pick these up.
My interview is Jan 27th and I planned to leave Colombia and fly back home Feb 1st. I didn't purchase any flight tickets yet, though. Should I wait? Would they "expedite" the documents seeing that I'm not from Colombia and would eventually need to go back home?
Or can I enter Colombia with a 1-way ticket and then purchase my return ticket home once I pick up my documents? I couldn't really find any information relating to a case like this, so any help would be appreciated!

It's also much too expensive to go home and fly back to colombia to simply pick up documents as flights are about $500 USD per person.

Thanks in advance!

16 hours ago, abymarie said:

Hello, this is my first time posting so please excuse any mistake I make or if this isn't the correct place to post.

We are in the final stages of our K1 visa process. I've made my appointments and everything, but I have a few questions.
I live in Aruba, but got sent to the US Embassy in Colombia (which is a 2 hour flight) I've been reading reviews and saw that it takes 2-3 weeks to pick up your documents after approval by the CSRA, and that you must go in person to pick these up.
My interview is Jan 27th and I planned to leave Colombia and fly back home Feb 1st. I didn't purchase any flight tickets yet, though. Should I wait? Would they "expedite" the documents seeing that I'm not from Colombia and would eventually need to go back home?
Or can I enter Colombia with a 1-way ticket and then purchase my return ticket home once I pick up my documents? I couldn't really find any information relating to a case like this, so any help would be appreciated!

It's also much too expensive to go home and fly back to colombia to simply pick up documents as flights are about $500 USD per person.

Thanks in advance!

It would be a good idea if you were to connect with the VJ sub forum for all things dealing with the US Embassy in Colombia and they will answer your questions for the processing of your visa from their personal experience. Link: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/96-mexico-latin-south-america/

Have you done the following:

16. Register and create your account at the Official Visa Information and Appointment system page and choose the preferred delivery option for receiving the passport if the visa is approved.

This comes directly from the instructions from the Columbia embassy. Link is below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Oeg4xYRja1hqUSzF-uEaj1QiyoFnv9X/view

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
6 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

It would be a good idea if you were to connect with the VJ sub forum for all things dealing with the US Embassy in Colombia and they will answer your questions for the processing of your visa from their personal experience. Link: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/96-mexico-latin-south-america/

Have you done the following

16. Register and create your account at the Official Visa Information and Appointment system page and choose the preferred delivery option for receiving the passport if the visa is approved.

This comes directly from the instructions from the Columbia embassy. Link is below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Oeg4xYRja1hqUSzF-uEaj1QiyoFnv9X/view

Thanks for getting back to me!

Yes, I have already registered, selected and paid for everything :) 

And, thank you- I will take my discussion there! Had no idea there was a place for it. Really appreciate it!

Timeline

Hello! I'm new here, so please excuse any mistakes.

I have my visa interview Jan 27th in Bogota, however I'm not from Colombia. I'm from Aruba and was sent there as its the closest US Embassy to us.
I have a few questions about the visa pick up (if approved). I read that it takes about 2-3 weeks for it to be ready for pick up at your select location. I plan to buy my plane ticket to Bogota soon and now I'm confused.
Would they expedite my documents to be ready for pick up seeing as I'm not from Colombia? Or do I have to stay in colombia for 2-3 weeks to wait for them? If thats the case, can I enter colombia with a 1-way ticket and then purchase my return once I have my documents picked up?
Yes, I've registered an account and selected my pick up location. and No, they can't deliver to addresses outside of Colombia.
Kind of lost at what I should do! Any help would be greatly appreciated :) 

5 minutes ago, abymarie said:

Would they expedite my documents to be ready for pick up seeing as I'm not from Colombia?

Definitely not.

Can you even travel home to Aruba and then back to Columbia without a passport?

Timeline
Just now, Jorgedig said:

Definitely not.

Can you even travel home to Aruba and then back to Columbia without a passport?

That's my concern. I don't think there's a way to travel and then back. and it would be incredibly inconvenient to travel back to simply pick up documents.
Not sure how entering Colombia with just a 1-way ticket would work either so, I'm just lost at the moment

1 hour ago, abymarie said:

That's my concern. I don't think there's a way to travel and then back. and it would be incredibly inconvenient to travel back to simply pick up documents.
Not sure how entering Colombia with just a 1-way ticket would work either so, I'm just lost at the moment

There is no "picking up documents."  It will be your passport with the visa affixed, so I do not see how you could leave the country and return without a passport.  The embassy needs to have the passport to put the visa in it.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

There is no "picking up documents."  It will be your passport with the visa affixed, so I do not see how you could leave the country and return without a passport.  The embassy needs to have the passport to put the visa in it.

That's what I meant, and I know that. (English isn't my first language, excuse my mistakes) 

This doesn't really answer my main question, though.

Which is if I should- or in this can just go with a 1-way ticket and once I have my passport, purchase my return home. OR stay in colombia or 2-3 weeks and hope my return ticket aligns with the process.
I went on their .gov website, and it said that it can be expedited if someone has to leave after 10 business days of their interview ,and it would be ready for pick-up in 3 business days in Bogota.
Not sure how often this happens, though. Things get complicated when the US Embassy you're assigned to isn't even in your country 😅

25 minutes ago, abymarie said:

I went on their .gov website, and it said that it can be expedited if someone has to leave after 10 business days of their interview ,and it would be ready for pick-up in 3 business days in Bogota.

They will not expedite a visa if the background checks etc are not complete, under any circumstances.

Only you can answer your main question, given that the visa issuance timing remains unknown.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

They will not expedite a visa if the background checks etc are not complete, under any circumstances.

Only you can answer your main question, given that the visa issuance timing remains unknown.

Alright, Thank you!

• Ryan H changed the title to Courier Pick Up Help (COLOMBIA) [merged threads]
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Duplicate threads merged~~~

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 1/5/2020 at 2:36 PM, abymarie said:

That's what I meant, and I know that. (English isn't my first language, excuse my mistakes) 

This doesn't really answer my main question, though.

Which is if I should- or in this can just go with a 1-way ticket and once I have my passport, purchase my return home. OR stay in colombia or 2-3 weeks and hope my return ticket aligns with the process.
Not sure how often this happens, though. Things get complicated when the US Embassy you're assigned to isn't even in your country 😅

I recommend staying for atleast 3 weeks (considering everything goes ok)...it took us about that long for the visa in hand. You could also have it delivered via DHL. My fiance did lab work Dec 9....fingerprints  Dec 11 in the morning and Doc exam in the afternoon....interview Dec. 13. Case was in AP....3 business  days.....Issued on Dec 18.....we choose to pick it up in person.....took DHL until Dec 23 to be ready for pickup. We spend like 270 in hotel for the whole stay which was close to the embassy....only thing food was expensive  around there.

Edited by Skpanda801

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 4:18 PM, abymarie said:

are you a colombian citizen? I think is the only way you can purchase a one way ticket, if not, well you have to wait in colombia there is no other way. I am not a K1 visa but F2B and live in venezuela, my interview will be scheduled to us embassy in colombia, so same situation.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 1/4/2020 at 4:18 PM, abymarie said:

Thanks in advance!

hi how are you! i am so happy to finally find someone from aruba on here. my fiancé is from aruba and we are having so much trouble with the k1 process since he also has to fly to Colombia. I would love to connect with you and chat. im not sure if u checked the embassy website but their is a procedure for people going to aruba for interview in Colombia regarding getting the visa back and everything. My Facebook is Tiffany Marie Ruiz if you want to add me so we can chat, because I literally cannot find anyone from aruba doing k1 and coming to the US... my fiancé is from Savaneta and is coming to New York, I will attach info I found. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/BGT-Bogota.html#ABC_Island

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 11.50.42 AM.png

Timeline

UPDATE:

Thanks for all your replies! I actually had my Interview Jan 27th and it was approved :) 
I didn't have to stay any longer than I thought (i only stayed for 10 days). No, I didn't buy a one way ticket as it is not allowed as a foreigner. I just bought a round trip from the 21st until the 1st of feb. The officer expedited my documents because of the simple fact that I don't live in Colombia. She understood that I was a foreigner there with a ticket to travel back and I actually got to pick up my approved visa on Jan 31st (I left Colombia Feb 1st). 

So in conclusion for FOREIGNERS that are traveling to COLOMBIA for this process (especially from the ABC island), YES they will expedite your stuff! and no they're not mean or grumpy about it. Super understanding 

Edited by abymarie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.