paumagre

Moving/flying with a pet

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello everyone !

I know it might be a weird topic but I'm gonna move from France to the US with my 14 yo dog who had never been on a plane ever... To say I'm stressing out is an understatement 😬

I was wandering if any of you had any tips (airline,...) or could share their experience with me. 

My dog weighs 22 lb and I doubt she would fit in a carrier under a plane' seat... 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, paumagre said:

Hello everyone !

I know it might be a weird topic but I'm gonna move from France to the US with my 14 yo dog who had never been on a plane ever... To say I'm stressing out is an understatement 😬

I was wandering if any of you had any tips (airline,...) or could share their experience with me. 

My dog weighs 22 lb and I doubt she would fit in a carrier under a plane' seat... 

you will bed to find out the specific airline policy for international transport of pets .... the USDA requirements for an animal entering the US, and have a long talk with your regular veterinarian about preparing  the dog and making the flight as less stressful as possible, which may include medication 

The fig will need to travel in an airplane approved cage, on a special section of the baggage compartment. You may be required to take direct flights , be unable to travel if the ground temperature is above or below a specified range etc .. all fir safety of the animal. 

Edited by Lil bear

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
1 hour ago, paumagre said:

Hello everyone !

hi , 

i am from France too planning  to fly with my two cats once I will have a visa . 

so I have few informations  that I hope will help . 
1. For any doubt contact the DDPP of your region  ( direction departmentale pour la protection des populations ) who will give you some tips . 
2. https://www.anivetvoyage.com/formalites-pays/u/89-usa.html  Here the link for Anivet voyages Where you can have some info too 

3. Contact your veterinary , he will ( he is supposed to ) give you informations about vaccinations ( rabbles etc) to do before flying . 
4. your dog need à European passport and a microchip ) not such an obligation for cats but highly recommended . 
5.before flying the veterinary will have to deliver you a « certificat de bonne santé «  . Wait last mn to do it because depending on the state your are flying too delays can vary 

6.for air companies TAP ( air Portugal ) seems to be serious . For my cats  they ask 300€ to have them in Cabin With us . Not more than 8kg ( cat +bag)  Then for a dog , he will have to be in the hold and it’s a lil cheaper if I remember. 
then some lil tips like to put in your dog bag a warm cover with an odor he knows , some feliway to relax him etc 

don’t hesitate for other questions 😀

Edited by Mr & Mrs T

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Mr & Mrs T said:

6.for air companies TAP ( air Portugal ) seems to be serious . For my cats  they ask 300€ to have them in Cabin With us . Not more than 8kg ( cat +bag)  Then for a dog , he will have to be in the hold and it’s a lil cheaper if I remember. 

then some lil tips like to put in your dog bag a warm cover with an odor he knows , some feliway to relax him etc 

don’t hesitate for other questions 😀

Thank you for your answer ! 🙂 The thing is I don't have any kids and I got my dog when she was 2 months old so I'm freaking out having to put her in the hold for about 7 hours. I tried searching if it was even possible to purchase a second seat just for her but it seems like it isn't... I know it probably sounds dumb but I can't help stressing about it... đŸ˜© I want my dog in the cabin with me 😭

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
22 minutes ago, paumagre said:

Thank you for your answer ! 🙂 The thing is I don't have any kids and I got my dog when she was 2 months old so I'm freaking out having to put her in the hold for about 7 hours. I tried searching if it was even possible to purchase a second seat just for her but it seems like it isn't... I know it probably sounds dumb but I can't help stressing about it... đŸ˜© I want my dog in the cabin with me 😭

Hey , 

i understand you 💯 it’s not dumb ! 
me I am stressing to have my cats crying for more than 7 hours ahah 

i don’t think you can purchase a seat for your dog , but contact tap and see what are requirements for dog in cabin it’s probably different than for a cat or see if your dog can be considered as « emotional company » or something like that ( sorry don’t remember the exact word ) 

i understand your stress we live our pets so much 

ps : link to the website 

https://www.flytap.com/fr-fr/voyager-avec-animaux/animaux-domestiques?accordionid=1

Edited by Mr & Mrs T

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I just moved with my cats and I hired a company specialized in animal transportations. It wasn't cheap at all but it made me feel better since they told me what I need to bring and took care of everything else like dealing with customs and aranging the flights. 

It was quite an experience and I don't want to do it again anytime soon but everything went well and everybody arrived safely.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

My husband brought his dog from France to USA in 2016. He used Air France, direct flight from Paris to LA and put the dog in a hold due to its weight of 20 lb. It cost him $200. The dog had his Certificat de Bonne santĂ©, microchip and a special cage (metallic with two doors on opposite sides and the space large enough for the dog to stand in and able to turn around). By the vet’s advice the dog had not been fed 24 hrs before the flight (only water allowed), and my husband put his T-shirt worn for a day or two in the cage so that the smell of the dog’s owner to comfort the pet. They keep the temperature and noise level in the hold adequate for the animals so you don’t have to worry, your dog will be fine. My husband’s dog had never traveled by air before, that was his first time and he endured a 12 hr flight just fine. Good luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Also make sure to book the hold on the flight in advance (via phone with air company agent). It's better to be at the airport 3 hrs before the flight. I don't know about other companies but Air France allows the payment to be done at the counter (my husband paid with his credit card). They process pets pretty much like checked-in baggage, weighing the cage, then taking it away. 

After he landed in LA, my husband picked up the dog at the Air France office, the cage was found next to the baggage area before the passport control. It was pretty easy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.