Jfresh26

AEP while waiting NOA2?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, I am currently in the Philippines with my fiancée. I am wondering if I can apply for Alien Work Permit while we wait for our NOA2? Will I need to go to DOLE in BGC? Has anyone done this process before? Thanks in advance 

* Moved from K-1 Progress Reports to Philippines regional forum. Question is about a PH work permit. *

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, Jfresh26 said:

Hello, I am currently in the Philippines with my fiancée. I am wondering if I can apply for Alien Work Permit while we wait for our NOA2? Will I need to go to DOLE in BGC? Has anyone done this process before? Thanks in advance 

Sure you can apply for a work permit.  Will you get one?  Depends on your skillset.   Trick is finding a company that wants to employ you.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
On 12/15/2019 at 2:09 AM, Jfresh26 said:

I was able to get one because my company was new to the Philippines and no one there could do my job. It's hard to get one unless you're there to train or you're an exceptional talent. 

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 12/15/2019 at 9:57 PM, Hank_ said:

Sure you can apply for a work permit.  Will you get one?  Depends on your skillset.   Trick is finding a company that wants to employ you.

Do you have any recommendations on places that hire US citizens? I know it can be difficult as I cannot speak tagalog

1 hour ago, Jfresh26 said:

Do you have any recommendations on places that hire US citizens?

If you do get a Alien Work Permit, are you willing to work for $1.75/hour? The company has to apply for the permit for you. 

http://www.ble.dole.gov.ph/downloads/issuances/DO 186-17 Revised Rules For The Issuance Of Employment Permits To Foreign Nationals.pdf 

http://boi.gov.ph/ufaqs/14-as-an-investor-what-visa-can-be-issued/ 
Work Permit section
In general, a foreign national seeking employment in the Philippines, whether resident or non-resident, must secure an Alien Employment Permit (AEP) from the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

A local employer who wishes to employ a foreign national must apply on the foreign national’s behalf with the DOLE for the permit. The petitioning company must prove that the foreign national possesses the required skills for the position and that no Filipino is available who is competent, able and willing to do the specific job for which the foreign national is desired.

Timeline
8 hours ago, Jfresh26 said:

Do you have any recommendations on places that hire US citizens? I know it can be difficult as I cannot speak tagalog

6 hours ago, user555 said:

If you do get a Alien Work Permit, are you willing to work for $1.75/hour? The company has to apply for the permit for you. 

http://www.ble.dole.gov.ph/downloads/issuances/DO 186-17 Revised Rules For The Issuance Of Employment Permits To Foreign Nationals.pdf 

http://boi.gov.ph/ufaqs/14-as-an-investor-what-visa-can-be-issued/ 
Work Permit section
In general, a foreign national seeking employment in the Philippines, whether resident or non-resident, must secure an Alien Employment Permit (AEP) from the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

A local employer who wishes to employ a foreign national must apply on the foreign national’s behalf with the DOLE for the permit. The petitioning company must prove that the foreign national possesses the required skills for the position and that no Filipino is available who is competent, able and willing to do the specific job for which the foreign national is desired.

As 555 said, it's hard because you have to do a job no Filipino can do. You can also get one if a company shows you're an exceptional talent and no Filipino is as talented as you are at your craft. 

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 12/15/2019 at 9:57 PM, Hank_ said:

I applied at a call center. I went through the assessments, tests, and even had an interview. But they told me they cannot process my application without a work permit. My fiancée said call centers want my American accent. Our adjudicated date is March 18, I know it’s subject to change. But our main priority is the kvisa. I just thought I would try to keep myself busy while waiting and make money to help pay for the medical, visa fee, CFO. I don’t want any delays on coming back home with my fiancée but thought it would be worth a try. 

Timeline
On 12/16/2019 at 10:11 PM, Fogi said:

I was able to get one because my company was new to the Philippines and no one there could do my job. It's hard to get one unless you're there to train or you're an exceptional talent. 

I applied at a call center, and went through the assessments and interview but they couldn’t process the application without permit. I just didn’t know if it would get in the way of the kvisa and coming back to the US or if they would let my contract go until we got approved? 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Jfresh26 said:

I applied at a call center. I went through the assessments, tests, and even had an interview. But they told me they cannot process my application without a work permit. My fiancée said call centers want my American accent. Our adjudicated date is March 18, I know it’s subject to change. But our main priority is the kvisa. I just thought I would try to keep myself busy while waiting and make money to help pay for the medical, visa fee, CFO. I don’t want any delays on coming back home with my fiancée but thought it would be worth a try. 

Figured that ...   

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jfresh26 said:

I applied at a call center, and went through the assessments and interview but they couldn’t process the application without permit. I just didn’t know if it would get in the way of the kvisa and coming back to the US or if they would let my contract go until we got approved? 

Yeah, it's really hard to get a job in the Philippines if you want one, more likely someone would find you and give you one.  I've heard, though not sure if legal in Phils, that if you have a W@H job in the US, it's entirely ok to enter the Phils on a tourist visa  and do your US based W@H job while there. That is probably your best option. I met my wife while on an extended work trip, so I already had the work visa. Once I showed my value working there, they kept renewing the work visa. 

Edited by Fogi
typo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.