john_and_marlene

Advice on whether to use a lawyer

22 posts in this topic

I often see others here suggest that noone with a simple case should use a lawyer.

It appears their basis for this advice is their personal experience.

To blanketly advise against a lawyer because they were able to do it solo would presume that they, themselves, must be the lowest common denominator in the gene pool. Wouldn't they otherwise consider the possibility that others may not be as capable as themselves?

I gather from my musings on this topic that the offers of advice come with a deep understanding that all people are at least as capable as those offering the advice.

If the advice is given by the mose incapable person, should you be taking their advice?????

I've given the following translation on more than one occassion:

I didn't use a lawyer and you shouldn't either = I'm willing to risk your future with my advice.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I didn't use a lawyer but I did hire an 'immigration expert' in the area of Philippines > US. Did I need to? Maybe not but the process went smooth and fairly quick. It's impossible to tell if it would have gone as fast but I can say for sure it's nice having someone to Email/call when I had a question.

From the fees I've heard I do think some of the lawyers overcharge for this process though.

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

Filed: Timeline

I always advise that a initial meeting with an immigration lawyer is a good thing then it is up to you if you choose to hire their services..... we had a chat with a very good immigration lawyer to go over our case and to advise us if she saw any area's that might make things harder for us.... she did say that she felt we were more than able to file all the forms ourselves and if we needed further help or just to go over how things were going she would see us again....

Kez

Filed: Timeline
I didn't use a lawyer and you shouldn't either = I'm willing to risk your future with my advice.

What's the risk to the person giving the advice? It's the person who's asking a bunch of strangers who holds the responsibility.

However, I never advise anyone to not use a lawyer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I think most people here have said that the choice to use a lawyer depends on the circumstances of each individual case. Admittedly, VJ most benefits those of us who choose not to use a lawyer (providing forms, examples, timelines, guides etc.) while at the same time helping those who do hire a lawyer understand the process and be informed and able to double check the lawyers.

I chose not to hire a lawyer. When I completed the forms for our case, I could not imagine a lawyer being able to answer these questions without me gathering all of the evidence to fill out the forms. My case is very straight forward, and I decided that I might as well just complete it myself and save my money for th filling fees to come.

I don't think any VJers want to risk someone else's case or future. I'm sorry you feel that way. We all have the same objective in mind, help each other through a complex and frustrating mountain of paperwork and laws to get our family members to the US.

I often see others here suggest that noone with a simple case should use a lawyer.

It appears their basis for this advice is their personal experience.

To blanketly advise against a lawyer because they were able to do it solo would presume that they, themselves, must be the lowest common denominator in the gene pool. Wouldn't they otherwise consider the possibility that others may not be as capable as themselves?

I gather from my musings on this topic that the offers of advice come with a deep understanding that all people are at least as capable as those offering the advice.

If the advice is given by the mose incapable person, should you be taking their advice?????

I've given the following translation on more than one occassion:

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Everyone is different. Person number 1 can handle paperwork and visa applications wonderfully. However, they may not be able to swim very well. Therefore I'd say they probably shouldn't need a lawyer but should take swimming lessons.

Person number 2 is poor at paperwork but can swim wonderfully well. They probably would fare better with using a lawyer, but wouldn't need swimming lessons.

The point of this rather silly tale is to say that we all have our strengths and weaknesses. It is up to each person to recognise that and take responsibility for that decision. If you can't swim very well, then it is obvious that you should have some lessons. If you find filling in paperwork a chore and confusing then perhaps a lawyer is the best route for you to take.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Everyone is different. Person number 1 can handle paperwork and visa applications wonderfully. However, they may not be able to swim very well. Therefore I'd say they probably shouldn't need a lawyer but should take swimming lessons.

Person number 2 is poor at paperwork but can swim wonderfully well. They probably would fare better with using a lawyer, but wouldn't need swimming lessons.

The point of this rather silly tale is to say that we all have our strengths and weaknesses. It is up to each person to recognise that and take responsibility for that decision. If you can't swim very well, then it is obvious that you should have some lessons. If you find filling in paperwork a chore and confusing then perhaps a lawyer is the best route for you to take.

Great post! For me a few years back.. I had a non-contested divorce a while back - you can do that without a lawyer, and pay the fees and do it yourself.. but there was NO way I was going to attempt that one myself.. too much legaleeze.. too many "templates" to figure out. SO i paid 1000$ and had a lawyer do all the crappy paperwork for me.. NO regrets there.

When we decided to start this journey, we knew we could probably figure our way through. We did it and we have no regrets doing it alone. 2 different situations 2 different responses..

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

When I made the decision to embark on my visa journey. I was not sure which way to go. Attorney or no attorney. Then I found Visa Journey and did it on my own. I saw the light. For I was blind. But now I see! ;)

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
When I made the decision to embark on my visa journey. I was not sure which way to go. Attorney or no attorney. Then I found Visa Journey and did it on my own. I saw the light. For I was blind. But now I see! ;)

Like you I was blind too. Unlike you I did not know about VJ and hired an IM attorney. Then it became the blind leading the blind which almost resulted in complete disaster for us.

I have always mentioned my own personal experience on this. I did this because I thought, once you have a lawyer that specializes in this type of litigation that you are relatively safe. Well that is not always the case as our experience suggests.

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

We would have used a lawyer, but we are so poor, we could hardly afford to pay the AOS fees :lol:

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

It's a personal choice. I know that if I truly had the time to sit down and do everything, I could have by myself....that being said, I have been so busy getting ready to move etc that I decided to get some help. It's also nice to know that there is someone taking care of things while I am getting set up elsewhere.

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_tha0001-0003a.gif

I-129F

Petition mailed to Nebraska Service Center 06/04/2007

Petition received by CSC 06/19/2007...NOA1

I love my Siamese kitten...

No one is forced to follow my crappy advice.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Great post! For me a few years back.. I had a non-contested divorce a while back - you can do that without a lawyer, and pay the fees and do it yourself.. but there was NO way I was going to attempt that one myself.. too much legaleeze.. too many "templates" to figure out. SO i paid 1000$ and had a lawyer do all the crappy paperwork for me.. NO regrets there.

When we decided to start this journey, we knew we could probably figure our way through. We did it and we have no regrets doing it alone. 2 different situations 2 different responses..

The "Do it Yourself" Divorce kit!! I started it and filed it on my own, but I did get a Lawyer to finish it. I only had to pay her $300 to finish.

• 4 months later...