PWB

St. Lukes Testing Procedure (merged threads)

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance had her initial K1 Visa Medical Examination on December 4, 2019 and at the end of the first day she was told that 20% of applicants where required to undergo a 3 day Sputum Test  and was scheduled for the 10, 11, and 12th of December.  She was also told there there would

be a 12 week time period to develop a culture and the Embassy Interview will need to be rescheduled.  Trying to figure out what happened.   Is this random selection of 20% of the applicants indeed a fact or was something detected in the other testing.   Needless to say I am out a bunch of money on airlines tickets and other associated cost.

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to add to title that two threads have been merged

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 minutes ago, PWB said:

My fiance had her initial K1 Visa Medical Examination on December 4, 2019 and at the end of the first day she was told that 20% of applicants where required to undergo a 3 day Sputum Test  and was scheduled for the 10, 11, and 12th of December.  She was also told there there would

be a 12 week time period to develop a culture and the Embassy Interview will need to be rescheduled.  Trying to figure out what happened.   Is this random selection of 20% of the applicants indeed a fact or was something detected in the other testing.   Needless to say I am out a bunch of money on airlines tickets and other associated cost.

Not random, something detected on the xray 

YMMV

They detected something on the x-ray. The sputum culture is to ensure it is not TB. This is standard procedure set by the CDC when they detect a spot. It's not that uncommon for PH (especial with how common latent TB is there).

Never make any firm plans until the visa is in hand and has been verified to be accurate.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

I realize that having the Visa in hand is the best plan.  In my case I felt it was important to attend the interview because of a few unique situations and being there was the best way to go.  My thoughts now are what happens after the review period for the culture.  Will she ever be able to get a Visa.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, PWB said:

I realize that having the Visa in hand is the best plan.  In my case I felt it was important to attend the interview because of a few unique situations and being there was the best way to go.  My thoughts now are what happens after the review period for the culture.  Will she ever be able to get a Visa.

If it comes back clear she will be able to interview and get a visa after the 12 weeks is up. If it comes back positive you're looking at the 12 weeks plus another 6 months. for TB treatment. She will be able to get a visa either way. 

Try refunding your flights, some airlines have a flat tire policy and will re-book or refund your flight for no cost. 

Timeline
50 minutes ago, PWB said:

Where does she live?  Manila or farther away?

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Did SLEC increase the culture growing time as it used to be just 8 weeks? We waited 8 weeks exactly (this was recently this year). 8 weeks is the standard, not sure where the other 4 weeks has come from. It has been known to run 9 weeks, at the request of SLEC but 12 weeks!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Timeline
3 hours ago, PWB said:

My fiance(e) had her medical exam on November 26th and she was told that day that she had to go through the 3 day sputum test. Majority in her group that day had to do sputum test. Yesterday she went back to SLEC for the pulmonary evaluation and she's cleared from the 3 day sputum test. She is going back to SLEC in January 30, exactly in 8 weeks from yesterday. Hopefully, we don't get the dreaded call before 8 weeks mark. I'm not sure about the 12 week time period though.  I feel your pain! If my fiance(e) didn't stop me, I probably would've booked her flight already. The only thing you can do now is comply. Good luck!

Timeline
39 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Where does she live?  Manila or farther away?

Outside of Metro Manila in a small town named Montraban.  Within 15 miles of Manila.

Timeline
Just now, PWB said:

Outside of Metro Manila in a small town named Montraban.  Within 15 miles of Manila.

Ok.  Just wanted to set the expectation on worse case scenario.   If sputum comes up positive,  the treatment is daily observable testing (DOT) for 6 months.   Which means she visits SLEC everyday for the 6 month period.   It is quite a burden for those not in Manila,  as they forced to move there for that period of time to receive treatment. 

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, bengal17 said:

My fiance(e) had her medical exam on November 26th and she was told that day that she had to go through the 3 day sputum test. Majority in her group that day had to do sputum test. Yesterday she went back to SLEC for the pulmonary evaluation and she's cleared from the 3 day sputum test. She is going back to SLEC in January 30, exactly in 8 weeks from yesterday. Hopefully, we don't get the dreaded call before 8 weeks mark. I'm not sure about the 12 week time period though.  I feel your pain! If my fiance(e) didn't stop me, I probably would've booked her flight already. The only thing you can do now is comply. Good luck!

That sounds like the same thing my fiance(e) said.  Appears that others in her group will get tested.  Just got to wait and see what happens on the next visit at SLEC.  What do you mean about the dread call before the 8 weeks mark?  Before I purchased the tickets we went to an outside doctor knowing the results were not valid, those test revealed no problem, so I got a false sense of security.

Timeline
Just now, PWB said:

That sounds like the same thing my fiance(e) said.  Appears that others in her group will get tested.  Just got to wait and see what happens on the next visit at SLEC.  What do you mean about the dread call before the 8 weeks mark?  Before I purchased the tickets we went to an outside doctor knowing the results were not valid, those test revealed no problem, so I got a false sense of security.

If you get a call prior to the 8 week growing period it means it has already come up positive 

YMMV

Timeline
28 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

Did SLEC increase the culture growing time as it used to be just 8 weeks? We waited 8 weeks exactly (this was recently this year). 8 weeks is the standard, not sure where the other 4 weeks has come from. It has been known to run 9 weeks, at the request of SLEC but 12 weeks!

You are most likely right about the 8 week period, she was pretty shaken up.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, PWB said:

SPUTUM is 8 weeks not 12.  The Philippines makes the Top Ten for TB,  so to see 20% of the people having to complete SPUTUM isn't really out of line, all things considered.   There was something on the x-ray that caused concern and SPUTUM is then required.

Do make sure the interview with the embassy is cancelled and then hope there are no phone calls from SLEC for the whole 8 weeks.

Philippines forum   https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Guide to the visa process in the Philippines  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

Does your fiancee have CFO-GCP completed?   Now would be a good time to get that handled.

13 minutes ago, bengal17 said:

The delays zucks for sure, but TB kills so there is an upside to all of this.    

Hope all goes smoothly .

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

This could be due to many things, including, but not limited, to implementation and validation of new testing and specimen collection procedures and protocols. A discussion with SLEC would be necessary to determine the cause, otherwise it would be speculative and subject to misinterpretation.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.