jojotica

Legal to ask 'How did you get your greencard?"

9 posts in this topic

Been approved and have CR1  visa in passport so now seeking job. In a recent chat with a recruiter I was asked how i got my green card? I asked why they needed that info and they claimed its because of the client. I have applied for the client directly before and all that is asked on their website is whether I have work authorisation. He then asked if its though diversity lottery.. I said no. Then he asked  if I have ever been to the USA.. I said yes, may times.

Does it really matter? Is this something I should be answering?

*note, explaining how would reveal my family situation which is not the recruiters concern imo, but maybe I am overreacting.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That doesn't sound ok to me. I've been through the hiring process a few times and was never asked that. Don't know if they legally can or can't, but it sounds sketchy. 

Timeline

Curious---what is the type of position you are applying for?

Sounds like the recruiter may not be familiar with how the CR-1 visa works/unsure whether you will be legally authorized to reside and work in the US.  

Fortunately you have the option to just forget them and seek employment with another company :) 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Excepting government/security clearance jobs, even it is illegal to ask whether or not you are a US citizen before making an offer.

I guess asking LPR category (class of admission) is not allowed.
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/ocomm/ilink/0-0-0-15.html
https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/practices/inquiries_citizenship.cfm

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

you have the right to keep your immigration status/info classified. no need for that employer to know how or why or when. you have proof you can work that is all they need to know.

AOS/EAD/AP ->: 11/29/18 - NOA1: 12/04/18

Biometric NOA:  12/14/18  Biometric Appt: 12/26/18

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 1/16/19

EAD/AP approval: 3/18/19

AOS Interview Appt: 6/4/19

AOS Interview: 7/10/19

AOS Approved: 7/23/19

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 7/26/19

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

Timeline

I'm going through a recruiter too and they never asked me that. They only need to know whether you have work authorization or not. You do not have to answer how you got it.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I spoke to many other recruiters who did not ask that either. I feel more confident to tell any other recruiters that ask that it’s not their business.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

in the overwhelming majority of cases, the only thing they can ask is if you have legal work authorization.

In a few cases, most notably on certain government or military facilities, you are required to be a citizen. So if their client fell into that category (certainly plausible), then yes it is legal.

For example, my husband can not work out in the shipyards in norfolk (at least most of them), because he is not a citizen.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

11 hours ago, debbiedoo said:

in the overwhelming majority of cases, the only thing they can ask is if you have legal work authorization.

In a few cases, most notably on certain government or military facilities, you are required to be a citizen. So if their client fell into that category (certainly plausible), then yes it is legal.

For example, my husband can not work out in the shipyards in norfolk (at least most of them), because he is not a citizen.

That is usually covered by asking working permit status, which is asked in most online forms along with whether you will need sponsorship in the future

. The how part though was weird.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.