TBoneTX

N-400 and I-751 Combo Pending -- Part 2

445 posts in this topic

On 3/19/2021 at 4:54 PM, Mike E said:

For my wife's AoS interview, I was specifically asked for my naturalization certificate. I presume it would have delayed the process had I not brought it. 

I'd attend the interview, bring her passport, and if you have one, a photo copy of the naturalization cert. Worst case, you will get an RFE. Granted it would be a nasty worse case given how long it can take to replace a naturalization certificate.

Thanks for the response! but AoS or ROC? cause we were also asked for it in AoS, but was hoping that we wouldn't in my naturalization and ROC.

AOS:

01-05-2017 - NOA1 received

05-03-2017 - Verbally approved in interview

05-26-2017 - Card was mailed

I filed i751 on April 2019, but still it is showing its ready to schedule for interview from December 2019. I got an infopass appointment to stamp my passport, i also inquired them about my application, they told me that you requested cancel your interview 2 times, what a joke! seriously, i didnt get any letter, my online status never changed.

In april 2020, i applied for N400, and now i received interview letter for interview on April 13, 2021 in down town LA but my office is SFV.

I called them to ask, should i bring my wife as my i751 is still pending, they told me no, we dont have any information for your i751 just come whatever letter you have received,

Please anyone who have similar situation guide me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Bring your spouse to the interview, the USCIS office may allow you to do a combo interview for i751 & n400. It is possible you will end up doing an n400 alone but if your spouse is there it would be possible to do both interviews. 

Bring updated proof for the i751 case along with the required original documents needed for n400 case.

Your spouse may not be allowed into the USCIS if you can’t get them to conduct your i751 case but if they are able to do the i751 interview you will be able to do if she is there.

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
21 hours ago, xeajhn said:

I filed i751 on April 2019, but still it is showing its ready to schedule for interview from December 2019. I got an infopass appointment to stamp my passport, i also inquired them about my application, they told me that you requested cancel your interview 2 times, what a joke! seriously, i didnt get any letter, my online status never changed.

In april 2020, i applied for N400, and now i received interview letter for interview on April 13, 2021 in down town LA but my office is SFV.

I called them to ask, should i bring my wife as my i751 is still pending, they told me no, we dont have any information for your i751 just come whatever letter you have received,

Please anyone who have similar situation guide me.

On the morning of my interview I was called by the officer who was going to conduct it and he told me to bring my spouse because they were going to do both interviews that day, this was in March. So I would certainly plan on bringing your spouse with you. 

On 1/29/2021 at 3:03 PM, lamafiosa69 said:

I just checked the case and get the following message: "we approved your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence".

I am super happy and excited. This journey is finally coming to an end. 😀

CONGRATULATION

Timeline
2 hours ago, xeajhn said:

As my Interview for n400 is on April 13 while pending I-751 with MSC receipt letters. Should I email them using online account and request to do the combo interview or just go there with my wife and request combo interview.

Anyone having experience i this regard can guide me?

There was some kind of guidance issued by USCIS last fall to bring your spouse to the naturalization interview if you have both cases pending. I’ll try to find it. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, xeajhn said:

As my Interview for n400 is on April 13 while pending I-751 with MSC receipt letters. Should I email them using online account and request to do the combo interview or just go there with my wife and request combo interview.

Anyone having experience i this regard can guide me?

https://www.dhs.gov/publication/uscis-processing-concurrently-pending-forms-n-400-and-forms-i-751

The speakers also clarified that, if the jointly filed I-751 petition is pending at the time of the N-400 interview, an applicant should bring his or her petitioning spouse to the naturalization interview.”

17 hours ago, VeronicaL said:

https://www.dhs.gov/publication/uscis-processing-concurrently-pending-forms-n-400-and-forms-i-751

The speakers also clarified that, if the jointly filed I-751 petition is pending at the time of the N-400 interview, an applicant should bring his or her petitioning spouse to the naturalization interview.”

Thank you, hopefully that will help

On 3/31/2021 at 2:39 PM, VeronicaL said:

On the morning of my interview I was called by the officer who was going to conduct it and he told me to bring my spouse because they were going to do both interviews that day, this was in March. So I would certainly plan on bringing your spouse with you. 

Thanks for the info! Did they ask for your spouse's birth certificate/naturalization in the interview? or was having their passport as proof of citizenship enough?

AOS:

01-05-2017 - NOA1 received

05-03-2017 - Verbally approved in interview

05-26-2017 - Card was mailed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Good afternoon guys,
I had my combo interview yesterday April 12, 2021 at the Portland, OR office and I thought it would be important to share my experience with the VisaJourney community that has helped me so greatly! ♥♥

--------------------- I applied under the 3-year rule -----------------

◘ March 5th: Interview was scheduled for 12Apr2021 @ 8:40am

1. About the date of the interview:

◘ Got in the building 15 minutes earlier. I was wearing high heels and they made me take them off, lol. I went in with my husband as my I-751 application stated it was mandatory he came with me.

◘ I was the 3rd person to get in the building. At 9:05 my name was called, the Immigration Officer asked us to follow her to her office. She was serious and quiet, I kind of wished I had other Immigration Officers, they looked way more easygoing? Who knows.

◘ Once I was sat there I could tell she had a huge pile! She explained it was everything the government had on file for me, since my K1 fiancee visa was submitted (back to 2016!)

1.1. The Removal of Conditions Interview (or I-751)

1.1.2. About the relationship:

She asked me and my husband:

– Where did you meet?

– When did you meet?

– Where do you like to vacation?

– What are your favorite activities as a couple? We got talking about snow, skiing, Idaho, Wyoming, etc. It was a fun topic.

– When did you guys marry?

– When was the last time you visited her country (Peru)?

– Did you bring with you any additional evidence since  you last file for your ROC (I-751)? Oh yes, sure thing, I had brought with me 6 big files in those huge folder, containing last 4 year taxes, last 4 year bank statements, utility bills, house deed and the whole stack of purchase info (as we bought a house), titles of both of our cars under our names, health insurance which states my husband is under my insurance, dental insurance, photos, 401k information, life insurance. She looked it at all!!! Big FYI. She was extremely thankful I was so organized. I used colorful tabs for all of my info. Taxes were in one folder, bank statements in another and so on.

– She then excused herself for taking some time to "enter" some information in her computer. She took like 5-7 minutes, we were just like looking at the wall when she said "Phew, ok, I'm done, you case looks solid, I'm recommending you for approval. We will move onto the N-400 application". She turned to my husband and said he can stay or he can leave for that portion of the interview, either way, he was welcome to participate. He decided to stay.

1.2. The Citizenship section (or N-400)

I can say this experience is a standard as it can get. I've read past experiences and they are all same Modus Operandi:

– I was asked 6 questions, I got them all right, she stopped right there. They were as follows:

– For the oral exam, I was asked to repeat after her "What state has the most population?"

– For the writing exam, I was asked to write in the pad: "California has the most people". 

– She went through all of the Yes/No questions (terrorism, international organizations, if I had commited any crimes, etc. etc.)

– Officer mentioned I had approved and the last step is the Oath of Allegiance, I should get a letter in the mail and on my online account stating the details of the ceremony. She said I should get a reply from them in a month regarding date and time, no more than that. If that did happened, I should get a hold of them.

– I asked regarding Same Day Oath ceremonies and she said they still do offer them, but only for those who had driven 4 hours or so, not for locals. I thought it was a lame excuse, we were so few of us, I would dare to say only 6. But anyways, I was of course thankful and left the room.

**Important: I had done a Change Of Address at the time of my Naturalization Application, but it looks like they never got it. they still had my old address on file, thankfully I had brought with me the screenshot of when I changed my address through "My USCIS" and the confirmation letter they had sent me. She looked surprised. You have to go as confidente as you can!

***Important: She asked to drop off GC, Advanced Parole and Employment Card when taking the Oath. Do not forget!

Last update: Checked my account this morning and the N-400 says "Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled". Patiently waiting here. Almost there. 

There might be some details I left out that I currently don't remember? I apologize.

If any of you have any questions, please don't hesitate to go ahead and ask me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
12 minutes ago, marthasofi said:

Good afternoon guys,
I had my combo interview yesterday April 12, 2021 at the Portland, OR office and I thought it would be important to share my experience with the VisaJourney community that has helped me so greatly! ♥♥

--------------------- I applied under the 3-year rule -----------------

◘ March 5th: Interview was scheduled for 12Apr2021 @ 8:40am

1. About the date of the interview:

◘ Got in the building 15 minutes earlier. I was wearing high heels and they made me take them off, lol. I went in with my husband as my I-751 application stated it was mandatory he came with me.

◘ I was the 3rd person to get in the building. At 9:05 my name was called, the Immigration Officer asked us to follow her to her office. She was serious and quiet, I kind of wished I had other Immigration Officers, they looked way more easygoing? Who knows.

◘ Once I was sat there I could tell she had a huge pile! She explained it was everything the government had on file for me, since my K1 fiancee visa was submitted (back to 2016!)

1.1. The Removal of Conditions Interview (or I-751)

1.1.2. About the relationship:

She asked me and my husband:

– Where did you meet?

– When did you meet?

– Where do you like to vacation?

– What are your favorite activities as a couple? We got talking about snow, skiing, Idaho, Wyoming, etc. It was a fun topic.

– When did you guys marry?

– When was the last time you visited her country (Peru)?

– Did you bring with you any additional evidence since  you last file for your ROC (I-751)? Oh yes, sure thing, I had brought with me 6 big files in those huge folder, containing last 4 year taxes, last 4 year bank statements, utility bills, house deed and the whole stack of purchase info (as we bought a house), titles of both of our cars under our names, health insurance which states my husband is under my insurance, dental insurance, photos, 401k information, life insurance. She looked it at all!!! Big FYI. She was extremely thankful I was so organized. I used colorful tabs for all of my info. Taxes were in one folder, bank statements in another and so on.

– She then excused herself for taking some time to "enter" some information in her computer. She took like 5-7 minutes, we were just like looking at the wall when she said "Phew, ok, I'm done, you case looks solid, I'm recommending you for approval. We will move onto the N-400 application". She turned to my husband and said he can stay or he can leave for that portion of the interview, either way, he was welcome to participate. He decided to stay.

1.2. The Citizenship section (or N-400)

I can say this experience is a standard as it can get. I've read past experiences and they are all same Modus Operandi:

– I was asked 6 questions, I got them all right, she stopped right there. They were as follows:

– For the oral exam, I was asked to repeat after her "What state has the most population?"

– For the writing exam, I was asked to write in the pad: "California has the most people". 

– She went through all of the Yes/No questions (terrorism, international organizations, if I had commited any crimes, etc. etc.)

– Officer mentioned I had approved and the last step is the Oath of Allegiance, I should get a letter in the mail and on my online account stating the details of the ceremony. She said I should get a reply from them in a month regarding date and time, no more than that. If that did happened, I should get a hold of them.

– I asked regarding Same Day Oath ceremonies and she said they still do offer them, but only for those who had driven 4 hours or so, not for locals. I thought it was a lame excuse, we were so few of us, I would dare to say only 6. But anyways, I was of course thankful and left the room.

**Important: I had done a Change Of Address at the time of my Naturalization Application, but it looks like they never got it. they still had my old address on file, thankfully I had brought with me the screenshot of when I changed my address through "My USCIS" and the confirmation letter they had sent me. She looked surprised. You have to go as confidente as you can!

***Important: She asked to drop off GC, Advanced Parole and Employment Card when taking the Oath. Do not forget!

Last update: Checked my account this morning and the N-400 says "Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled". Patiently waiting here. Almost there. 

There might be some details I left out that I currently don't remember? I apologize.

If any of you have any questions, please don't hesitate to go ahead and ask me.

Forgot to add the questions I was asked, lol!

♢ What do we call the first then amendments to the Constitution? The Bill of Rights.

♢ What are two rights in the Declaration of Independence? Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

♢ If the Presidente can no longer serve, who becomes a President? The vice president.

♢ When was the Declaration of Independence adopted? July 4, 1776.

♢ What is one thing Benjaming Franklin is famous for? U.S. Diplomat.

♢ When do we celebrate Independe Day? July 4.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.