Btrejo

NVC Expedite

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I would greatly appreciate some advise or suggestions in expediting my Husband's visa. His I-130 was approved from USCIS Nov. 06, 2019. that was a few weeks ago. NVC has not received our petition as of now. I have been reading and learned I could expedite the NVC process. I am currently a student in a university and have a part-time job for seasonal; then will be let go after holidays. I have student loans to pay off (over 12K). I will also be having to pay off a personal loan of 15K. Any suggestions how I could prove I need him here for financial support? Please let me know. I greatly appreciate it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

None that come to mind. What was your original plan to cover these?

He can send you money now.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Btrejo said:

Hi Everyone,

I would greatly appreciate some advise or suggestions in expediting my Husband's visa. His I-130 was approved from USCIS Nov. 06, 2019. that was a few weeks ago. NVC has not received our petition as of now. I have been reading and learned I could expedite the NVC process. I am currently a student in a university and have a part-time job for seasonal; then will be let go after holidays. I have student loans to pay off (over 12K). I will also be having to pay off a personal loan of 15K. Any suggestions how I could prove I need him here for financial support? Please let me know. I greatly appreciate it.

Sorry, you can not expedite based on what you've posted.  All of that is just normal every day life.

A financial hardship would be unable to work because of a serious illness, etc.  

Claiming that you are in a financial hardship comes into complete conflict with the I-864 and the public charge issues.  

To qualify for a visa expedite, you have to show extreme financial hardship.  Your situation, while I'm sure challenging, doesn't appear to meet that criteria.  Student loans and other bills are an expected part of life.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Sorry, you can not expedite based on what you've posted.  All of that is just normal every day life.

A financial hardship would be unable to work because of a serious illness, etc.  

Claiming that you are in a financial hardship comes into complete conflict with the I-864 and the public charge issues.  

https://mypathtocitizenship.com/cr1-visa-nvc-expedite-financial-hardship/

This article tells me other wise. 🤔

2 minutes ago, Btrejo said:

Anybody can request an expedite. Getting it approved, however, is the challenge.

But as noted, it does create a sort of catch-22: how can you support your spouse to ensure they won't become a public charge if you are experiencing financial hardship and need their financial support in the US?

Having a joint sponsor does help address some of this, and a financial hardship does not exactly equate to being unable to support somebody. But it certainly can raise questions.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Btrejo said:

You're not understanding the article.

Are you taking care of a ill grandmother who is dying of cancer?

Reread this,  "So, losing your job or having credit card debt isn’t enough to convince NVC to speed up your case processing because you’re having financial hardship."

34 minutes ago, Btrejo said:

So how will you reconcile an expedite for financial hardship with the public charge issue?  Would you really want to risk that he would be denied due to that?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I was assuming the job issue was because the op would be resuming studies?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I want to thank for everyone's input. It is scary to expedite. But I also what you to be informed even if the expedite is denied. They will still process the visa as usual. It is just a matter of taking a leap of faith. I believe taking a shot is worth more than doing nothing at all. I will update you guys in a few weeks once I have received the welcome letter to NVC then I will request expedite.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 11/29/2019 at 4:10 PM, Btrejo said:

I want to thank for everyone's input. It is scary to expedite. But I also what you to be informed even if the expedite is denied. They will still process the visa as usual. It is just a matter of taking a leap of faith. I believe taking a shot is worth more than doing nothing at all. I will update you guys in a few weeks once I have received the welcome letter to NVC then I will request expedite.

Yes they process it as normal.

You can check what cases they are working on here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/after-petition-approved/begin-nat-visa-center.html

Note that the above link tells that they are working on files recieved on the mentioned date. NOT the I-130 approval date

USCIS can take upto 4 weeks to send it to NVC

NVC has takes upto 4 weeks to get you a case ID and Invoice ID.

meaning it can take upto 8 weeks to get a case number, which is what they will often say when you call.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.