Rpizarro

tax question: self-employed, sponsoring one's spouse

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm asking about the issue with providing foreign income on the i-184 affidavit of support. Is it true that this income won't even be considered? (because of the negative figures? ) Will this increase our chances of denial? I can use my father as  a co-sponsor. 

The income is from my online teaching job, which I will continue to have after returning to the US.

In the Dominican Republic, there is no tax-treaty with the US- we are subject to pay the 15.3% self employment tax.  

Will opting out of the Foreign income exclusion tax make a difference?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Consider going with your father as the Joint Sponsor.

Why pay taxes just so you can show an income on the I-864 when you can avoid taxes with the FEIE and have a Joint Sponsor.

Edited by aaron2020

1 minute ago, aaron2020 said:

Consider going with your father as the Joint Sponsor.

Why pay taxes just so you can show an income on the I-864 when you can show avoid taxes with the FEIE and a Joint Sponsor.

Here in the DR we are subject to the 15.3% self- employment tax, I must pay

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Rpizarro said:

Here in the DR we are subject to the 15.3% self- employment tax, I must pay

Got that. 

You don't have to pay US taxes with the FEIE.  I was addressing this issue since you were considering opting out.  

Edited by aaron2020

3 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Got that. 

You don't have to pay US taxes with the FEIE.  I was addressing this issue since you were considering opting out.  

Sorry, I guess I don't understand because last year I had to pay US taxes despite the FEIE

The FEIE won't make a difference. Income that will continue from the same source can be considered.

2 minutes ago, Rpizarro said:

Sorry, I guess I don't understand because last year I had to pay US taxes despite the FEIE

Your previous posts state that you did not work in 2018 and you had a joint sponsor lined up.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The FEIE won't make a difference. Income that will continue from the same source can be considered.

Your previous posts state that you did not work in 2018 and you had a joint sponsor lined up.

Ok Thank you for your replies, yes , I should have been more clear, in 2018 the work I did was very little (less than 1,000usd) I considered it as nothing worthy of mentioning. However I considered filing late just to have something on the record. 

Thanks again for your replies

10 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

Wow.  You made over $100,000 last year teaching English online?

If you're self-employed you deal with a Self-Employment Tax which is not excluded unless there is a treaty in place. 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/self-employment-tax-for-businesses-abroad

Edited by Melc

On 11/18/2019 at 6:48 PM, Rpizarro said:

Hello,

I'm asking about the issue with providing foreign income on the i-184 affidavit of support. Is it true that this income won't even be considered? (because of the negative figures? ) Will this increase our chances of denial? I can use my father as  a co-sponsor. 

The income is from my online teaching job, which I will continue to have after returning to the US.

In the Dominican Republic, there is no tax-treaty with the US- we are subject to pay the 15.3% self employment tax.  

Will opting out of the Foreign income exclusion tax make a difference?

I teach English online and sponsored my husband through my self-employment, no problem. I used the 10-99 as proof of income. I make way beyond 125% of the poverty line, but I know that isn't the case for everyone, so check those numbers. And yes, regardless of where you live, you are subject to that 15.3% tax. You can only claim the exclusion if you were out of the US 335 days a year and made under $100k.

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.