K + M

Confused on when exactly married name is valid to use

20 posts in this topic

The scenario for my wife is that she submitted the AOS packet and got her noa1 in the mail with about a month or so ago.  We filled in all her AOS packet with her married name, and she got her NOA1 in her married name.  Our question is does that mean she can start filling out all forms now in her married name, not just uscis forms, but any forms that ask for her name?  I am currently signing her up for my dental/vision insurance and it asks for her name on the enrollment form.  Would she use her married name or maiden?  We havn't gone to the SSA to get her name changed their on her Social Security Card as we are waiting for her EAD, but is the NOA1 proof enough to get that changed?  If it is we will change it their too.  Basically we want to know if she can fill out this form with her married name with just having the NOA1 in her married name, is the NOA1 in her married name mean her name has been changed and can legally be using it to fill out all forms, as in insurance, bills, and other daily life things.  We just want to make sure if or if she can't be using her married name yet, or if we have to wait for her EAD in her married name then get it changed on her Social Security Card, or if the NOA1 is proof enough.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by Kerri and Myles

9 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

Our question is does that mean she can start filling out all forms now in her married name, not just uscis forms, but any forms that ask for her name? 

Yes yes yes

9 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

Would she use her married name 

Yes

10 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

We havn't gone to the SSA to get her name changed their on her Social Security Card as we are waiting for her EAD, but is the NOA1 proof enough to get that changed?

generally they want to see EAD

10 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

is the NOA1 in her married name mean her name has been changed and can legally be using it to fill out all forms, as in insurance, bills, and other daily life things.

No, the marriage certificate is the legal document that changed her name. The NOA1 means nothing. It's just a receipt notice. 

12 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

if she can't be using her married name yet,

Yes, since she got married to you, that's when her name changed. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

The scenario for my wife is that she submitted the AOS packet and got her noa1 in the mail with about a month or so ago.  We filled in all her AOS packet with her married name, and she got her NOA1 in her married name.  Our question is does that mean she can start filling out all forms now in her married name, not just uscis forms, but any forms that ask for her name?  I am currently signing her up for my dental/vision insurance and it asks for her name on the enrollment form.  Would she use her married name or maiden?  We havn't gone to the SSA to get her name changed their on her Social Security Card as we are waiting for her EAD, but is the NOA1 proof enough to get that changed?  If it is we will change it their too.  Basically we want to know if she can fill out this form with her married name with just having the NOA1 in her married name, is the NOA1 in her married name mean her name has been changed and can legally be using it to fill out all forms, as in insurance, bills, and other daily life things.  We just want to make sure if or if she can't be using her married name yet, or if we have to wait for her EAD in her married name then get it changed on her Social Security Card, or if the NOA1 is proof enough.

Thanks in advance for the help.

The change of name has nothing to do with immigrations. USCIS won't approve it. It's your marriage certificate which is your legal name change document.

2 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Yes yes yes

Yes

generally they want to see EAD

No, the marriage certificate is the legal document that changed her name. The NOA1 means nothing. It's just a receipt notice. 

Yes, since she got married to you, that's when her name changed. 

Alright so on the enrollment insurance form it asks for her name, and Social Security Number, if we use her married name, even though the Social Security Card states her Maiden name as we havn't gotten her EAD yet so we havn't gotten that changed to her married it won't mess anything up, we can use her married name for this insurance form, and everything else going forward?  Is her name actually her married name now?  If so what exactly was it that changed her name to her married name making it alright for her to start using that.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

Alright so on the enrollment insurance form it asks for her name, and Social Security Number, if we use her married name, even though the Social Security Card states her Maiden name as we havn't gotten her EAD yet so we havn't gotten that changed to her married it won't mess anything up, we can use her married name for this insurance form, and everything else going forward?  Is her name actually her married name now?  If so what exactly was it that changed her name to her married name making it alright for her to start using that.  

The marriage certificate is the LEGAL NAME CHANGE document.......She can use her married name now for everything.  She should get her passport and Social Security card changed to her married name......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

47 minutes ago, missileman said:

The marriage certificate is the LEGAL NAME CHANGE document.......She can use her married name now for everything.  She should get her passport and Social Security card changed to her married name......

How to go about getting the name changed on the passport?  And I thought for the Social Security Card best to use EAD which she doesn't have yet.

1 hour ago, Kerri and Myles said:

If so what exactly was it that changed her name to her married name making it alright for her to start using that.  

Ok, for the second time, it is the marriage certificate that is the official and legal name change. The marriage certificate is the document that changed her name legally. Not the NOA1, not the EAD, not the SS number.... Since the date that marriage certificate was issued (and if she indicated that she wanted her name change in it), her name was changed legally. 

1 minute ago, USS_Voyager said:

Ok, for the second time, it is the marriage certificate that is the official and legal name change. The marriage certificate is the document that changed her name legally. Not the NOA1, not the EAD, not the SS number.... Since the date that marriage certificate was issued (and if she indicated that she wanted her name change in it), her name was changed legally. 

The marriage cert has her maiden name on it as that's what they had to do but we told them she wants to take my last name, and they said you do that after and the marriage cert has to have the maiden, but I am assuming that is common practice and after like you guys all are saying is how you use the married name.  

1 minute ago, Kerri and Myles said:

How to go about getting the name changed on the passport?

The passport you gotta change with the Embassy/Consulate of the country that issued it. That has nothing to do with the US. She is still a citizen of wherever she came from. 

2 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

And I thought for the Social Security Card best to use EAD which she doesn't have yet.

Yes, that is correct. You can certainly try to go in there with the NOA1 to see if they will do anything. Most likely they will tell you to go back and wait for the EAD

Just now, USS_Voyager said:

Ok, did you "do that after" ? Or did you ask them how you would go about "doing that after"? If not, that's where you want to ask

There wasn't specifically a step to do, we were just told to start using her married name.  What the plan of attack after reading here on VJ was that we submit the AOS in married name, get EAD in married name, change SS card to married name, and also start having her sign all her forms in her married name.  It was just this inter period between when not having EAD and SS card still has maiden name we weren't 100% sure about if its valid to use the married name.  But it makes perfect sense now that she uses the married name as the Marriage Cert showcases legal standing that she can use my last name.

21 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

we were just told to start using her married name

Then that's what you do. 

What the plan of attack after reading here on VJ was that we submit the AOS in married name, get EAD in married name, change SS card to married name, and also start having her sign all her forms in her married name

Yes yes yes all of it. 

t was just this inter period between when not having EAD and SS card still has maiden name we weren't 100% sure about if its valid to use the married name.

Of course, anybody ask, you whip out both the SSN AND the marriage certificate "Here is my maiden name and here is my marriage certificate where I changed my name, which is on an official legally recognized document"

Edited by USS_Voyager

1 minute ago, USS_Voyager said:

Then that's what you do. 

Yes yes yes all of it. 

Of course, anybody ask, you whip out both the SSN AND the marriage certificate "Here is my maiden name and here is my marriage certificate where I changed my name, which is on an official legally recognized document"

Thank you so so much for all your help and guidance, you have been amazing, along with everyone else here.

2 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

Thank you so so much for all your help and guidance, you have been amazing, along with everyone else here.

I mean, that's what you do. My wife changed her name when she became a US citizen. And I keep that name change order EVERYWHERE. I mean I have a copy scanned in the computer, a copy on my phone, a copy at home, a copy in the safe deposit at the bank. 

That's why when they asked if I wanted to change my name when I became a citizen, the answer was "Absolutely not in a million years"

2 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

I mean, that's what you do. My wife changed her name when she became a US citizen. And I keep that name change order EVERYWHERE. I mean I have a copy scanned in the computer, a copy on my phone, a copy at home, a copy in the safe deposit at the bank. 

That's why when they asked if I wanted to change my name when I became a citizen, the answer was "Absolutely not in a million years"

Oh my so many copies of the marriage certificate, I guess better safe than sorry, we will start doing the same.😊

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.