artemisxoxo

EB2 NIW I140 approved but my marriage is taking place soon. What next?

9 posts in this topic

My EB2 NIW I140 is approved recently, but I am getting married soon outside of the US. My to-be spouse resides outside of the US, and since I am currently a graduate student in F1 status, my original plan was  to bring her as F2 dependent. But, the math has changed since this approval. Since my I140 is approved, and my visa date is current, I can potentially file adjustment of status . But, I want my future spouse to be a greencard beneficiary as well. I understand that if she was already in the US, she could also file an AOS and things would be quite straightforward. But since she does not have a US status now, I am trying to explore what options we've got. My question is:

1. Would it be OK to hold off applying for AOS for now, get married first, bring her to US in F2 and wait for more than 90 days and finally both of us apply for AOS?

2. If 1 is not OK, what are some of the best possible options for us?

Personally, I would prefer 1 (as long as it is legal) as I want my wife to join me as soon as possible. Thank you for reading this.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

1.  No, it would not be OK.  It's visa fraud to use an F-2 non-immigrant visa to enter the US with the intent to adjust status.

2.  You can do a Follow-to-Join and she will interview at a US Embassy/Consulate for an immigration visa.  

50 minutes ago, artemisxoxo said:

My EB2 NIW I140 is approved recently, but I am getting married soon outside of the US. My to-be spouse resides outside of the US, and since I am currently a graduate student in F1 status, my original plan was  to bring her as F2 dependent. But, the math has changed since this approval. Since my I140 is approved, and my visa date is current, I can potentially file adjustment of status . But, I want my future spouse to be a greencard beneficiary as well. I understand that if she was already in the US, she could also file an AOS and things would be quite straightforward. But since she does not have a US status now, I am trying to explore what options we've got. My question is:

1. Would it be OK to hold off applying for AOS for now, get married first, bring her to US in F2 and wait for more than 90 days and finally both of us apply for AOS?

2. If 1 is not OK, what are some of the best possible options for us?

Personally, I would prefer 1 (as long as it is legal) as I want my wife to join me as soon as possible. Thank you for reading this.

No, not ok at all... totally against the rules using a non immigration visa with intent to adjust.. 

complete your eb2 get your residency then apply either k1 or CR1 for her to follow... 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Timeline
1 hour ago, Duke & Marie said:

No, not ok at all... totally against the rules using a non immigration visa with intent to adjust.. 

complete your eb2 get your residency then apply either k1 or CR1 for her to follow... 

As an LPR, he can not apply for a K-1 or CR-1.   An LPR would file in the F2a category for a spouse.

The superior option is to do a Follow-To-Join.

I know several graduate students who did I-140/I-485 from F-1. But, none of them traveled outside the US during their processes.

For Follow-to-Join, you have to marry your fiancée before your AOS gets approved. You will have to travel to your (and/or your fiancée's) home country to get married and return to the US OR your fiancée will have to come to the US on B-2 or VWP, get married in the US and come back to her home country. Once you leave the US, I am not sure if you can re-enter to the US on F-1 or not. Is your F-1 a multiple-entry visa? If not, you will have to apply for F-1 and an answer to "Has anyone ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services" in DS-160 should be "Yes." Even if your F-1 is multiple-entry, your intension to reentry will be questionable by CBP at POE.

Edited by t-ten

My F1 is a multiple entry. Would my reentry be questionable just with approved I-140 if I travel outside before filing for AOS? Also, one thing I haven't been able to understand is why is it a visa fraud if we wait more than 90 days before applying for AOS (keeping in mind the new UCIS 90 days rule)? Is it because the officer still might check for intentions even after 90 days have passed?

With the responses above, I am curious about what would happen in the following hypothetical scenario: suppose a F1 student gets married outside of US in the middle of his graduate studies, brings his spouse to US in F2. He then files for EB2-NIW petition XX days after his wife came to US. His petition is approved after 6 months, and they both file for AOS. Is this situation still a immigration fraud regardless of what that XX days was? If not can this XX days be less than 90 days?

Timeline
1 minute ago, artemisxoxo said:

My F1 is a multiple entry. Would my reentry be questionable just with approved I-140 if I travel outside before filing for AOS? Also, one thing I haven't been able to understand is why is it a visa fraud if we wait more than 90 days before applying for AOS (keeping in mind the new UCIS 90 days rule)? Is it because the officer still might check for intentions even after 90 days have passed?

With the responses above, I am curious about what would happen in the following hypothetical scenario: suppose a F1 student gets married outside of US in the middle of his graduate studies, brings his spouse to US in F2. He then files for EB2-NIW petition XX days after his wife came to US. His petition is approved after 6 months, and they both file for AOS. Is this situation still a immigration fraud regardless of what that XX days was? If not can this XX days be less than 90 days?

You can not use a non-immigrant F-1 visa to travel outside the US and return with the intent to immigrate by adjusting status.

It's visa fraud because you would have to lie at the POE to enter the US.  90 days doesn't matter.  The fraud is at the POE.

Your hypothetical is visa fraud.  You are basically asking for help to commit fraud.  

10 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

You can not use a non-immigrant F-1 visa to travel outside the US and return with the intent to immigrate by adjusting status.

It's visa fraud because you would have to lie at the POE to enter the US.  90 days doesn't matter.  The fraud is at the POE.

Your hypothetical is visa fraud.  You are basically asking for help to commit fraud.  

I am not asking for help to commit fraud, you don't have to be that bitter. I am just trying to understand the legal bounds.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Thread closed to additional discussion under the below quoted provision of the TOS; do not restart this thread or refer to it in future discussions.***

By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Service, you will not:

• Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.