nakuke

Had the interview today...Received the held for review letter

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Everything that was asked for in the notice of interview was taken with photocopy to the interview. We took the following for evidence of bona-fide marriage:

Lease, car insurance,documentation from Tricare, life insurance documentation, one joint utility bill, 2018 tax return; all with both of our names; my wife also has her dependent ID from the DoD, the DEERS enrollment when I added her as my dependent; also took about 50 photos of us together from meeting to now, photos of the wedding, etc.

We have one join account together at Navy Federal which she uses for incidentals and daily expenditures especially when I'm on duty not at home. so each month I'll place a couple hundred in the join account for her to use. But most all of the bills and payments come from the main account which is in my name since that's where I get my paycheck from the military. She doesn't work so she doesn't handle finances in the U.S. As of today since she's spent a good chunk of this month's cash the join account only had about 30 dollars in it. The IO asked if there's a reason there's not just one joint account instead of a join and one personal account for each of us and I told him that;s the account that I get my paycheck in and only military members are allowed to have it (active duty checking). I think he was a little concerned with the account thing.

However everything else was solid. At the end when he went over the application he asked all the mandatory questions and he asked my wife how she came to the U.S., she replied by plane. Later on he asked "did you come to the U.S. on a boat or by foot" and she misunderstood and answered "by foot". He then asked her again if she meant if she came by foot illegally from the Canadian or Mexican border to which she replied no and said by plane. She apparently though he meant getting out of the plane was by foot.  Moving on, no other issues that I could tell. He asked about our child which is due the end of the month, made some corny jokes, etc. I was fully expecting with how organized we have been since the beginning of this process (I do documentation and investigative work in my career and am very detail oriented), as well as having all this evidence, nad being a military member we'd have it in the bag. However at the end he explained that it needed to be reviewed and checked with the system and we'd receive a notice in the mail with the decision. Gave no timeframe as to how soon it would happen. My wife's not worried at all but I can't help but worry in these types of situations. Online status is of course still slated for interview.

Of course I may be worrying over nothing and we should have her GC by then but we recently bought tickets to go to Japan so the family can meet the baby and all that I wasn't worried about her coming back in because I am thinking by that time (March) she'd have her GC but now I can't help but worry they might take 6 months to make a decision. She should still be able to travel with her EAD/AP card correct?

I just feel bummed out, thought this was gonna be a slam dunk.

K-1 Fiancé Visa

01/17/2018: I-129F Sent

01/19/2018: NOA1 Received

08/03/2018: NOA2 Received

11/01/2018: K-1 Visa Interview

12/12/2018: Married in U.S.

Adjustment of Status

02/01/2019: I-485, EAD and AP Filed

02/15/2019: I-485, EAD and AP NOA1

08/07/2019: EAD and AP Approved

10/29/2019: Interview for AOS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

As long as her AP is valid she can travel with that but it’s very possible you get the update of the interview within a month maximum,usually within 2 weeks after interview and you can call them for update if it’s beyond that.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

usually 2 weeks. they are not telling us direct anymore, they just hand you a piece of paper and tell you that you will hear something within few weeks about the decision. usually a supervisor needs to review it. ours went smoothly, no pressing questions and we still got the paper. got an answer in 2 weeks.

AOS/EAD/AP ->: 11/29/18 - NOA1: 12/04/18

Biometric NOA:  12/14/18  Biometric Appt: 12/26/18

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 1/16/19

EAD/AP approval: 3/18/19

AOS Interview Appt: 6/4/19

AOS Interview: 7/10/19

AOS Approved: 7/23/19

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 7/26/19

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2019 at 8:03 PM, nakuke said:

Everything that was asked for in the notice of interview was taken with photocopy to the interview. We took the following for evidence of bona-fide marriage:

Lease, car insurance,documentation from Tricare, life insurance documentation, one joint utility bill, 2018 tax return; all with both of our names; my wife also has her dependent ID from the DoD, the DEERS enrollment when I added her as my dependent; also took about 50 photos of us together from meeting to now, photos of the wedding, etc.

We have one join account together at Navy Federal which she uses for incidentals and daily expenditures especially when I'm on duty not at home. so each month I'll place a couple hundred in the join account for her to use. But most all of the bills and payments come from the main account which is in my name since that's where I get my paycheck from the military. She doesn't work so she doesn't handle finances in the U.S. As of today since she's spent a good chunk of this month's cash the join account only had about 30 dollars in it. The IO asked if there's a reason there's not just one joint account instead of a join and one personal account for each of us and I told him that;s the account that I get my paycheck in and only military members are allowed to have it (active duty checking). I think he was a little concerned with the account thing.

However everything else was solid. At the end when he went over the application he asked all the mandatory questions and he asked my wife how she came to the U.S., she replied by plane. Later on he asked "did you come to the U.S. on a boat or by foot" and she misunderstood and answered "by foot". He then asked her again if she meant if she came by foot illegally from the Canadian or Mexican border to which she replied no and said by plane. She apparently though he meant getting out of the plane was by foot.  Moving on, no other issues that I could tell. He asked about our child which is due the end of the month, made some corny jokes, etc. I was fully expecting with how organized we have been since the beginning of this process (I do documentation and investigative work in my career and am very detail oriented), as well as having all this evidence, nad being a military member we'd have it in the bag. However at the end he explained that it needed to be reviewed and checked with the system and we'd receive a notice in the mail with the decision. Gave no timeframe as to how soon it would happen. My wife's not worried at all but I can't help but worry in these types of situations. Online status is of course still slated for interview.

Of course I may be worrying over nothing and we should have her GC by then but we recently bought tickets to go to Japan so the family can meet the baby and all that I wasn't worried about her coming back in because I am thinking by that time (March) she'd have her GC but now I can't help but worry they might take 6 months to make a decision. She should still be able to travel with her EAD/AP card correct?

I just feel bummed out, thought this was gonna be a slam dunk.

Hi Nakuke,

Do you have a update on your situation? I am going to the first AOS interview in 2 weeks and I am curious about this "second interview." Did you receive a notice for a second interview? If so, when did you receive it?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.