nadiachr13

Last minute questions before Green card interview

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My Green card interview is tomorrow, and I'm just going over everything right now to make sure I got everything covered...

I came across a website saying to bring all the forms I submitted when filing for I-485, such as the I-131 (Advance parole) and I-765 (EAD). However, I didn't take copies when we sent those 10 months ago... wouldn't the IO have those forms at the interview anyway -- or do I need to fill them out again and bring them? I already got approved for AP and EAD in april and I will be bringing proof of that so...  The same website also says to bring originals of everything, such as marriage license, birth certificates etc. Do I need to have originals for everything?

Do I need to bring copies of everything I already submitted when we sent the application or is that just silly? I, of course, will be bringing every document the interview letter said to bring. 

I suddenly feel nervous that I'm unprepared after reading this! We are also bringing a new affidavit of support because there's been a new tax year since we sent our application in December. 

Any last minute tips would be great!

Thanks,

Nadia

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, nadiachr13 said:

Hi everyone,

My Green card interview is tomorrow, and I'm just going over everything right now to make sure I got everything covered...

I came across a website saying to bring all the forms I submitted when filing for I-485, such as the I-131 (Advance parole) and I-765 (EAD). However, I didn't take copies when we sent those 10 months ago... wouldn't the IO have those forms at the interview anyway -- or do I need to fill them out again and bring them? I already got approved for AP and EAD in april and I will be bringing proof of that so...  The same website also says to bring originals of everything, such as marriage license, birth certificates etc. Do I need to have originals for everything?

Do I need to bring copies of everything I already submitted when we sent the application or is that just silly? I, of course, will be bringing every document the interview letter said to bring. 

I suddenly feel nervous that I'm unprepared after reading this! We are also bringing a new affidavit of support because there's been a new tax year since we sent our application in December. 

Thanks,

Nadia

There are no reasons to have those forms with you 

YMMV

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
5 minutes ago, nadiachr13 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Nadia

Depending on how you interpret the statement(s) on the Form I-797C NOA AOS Appointment letter, it could mean a lot of things, "(Bring)... All documentation establishing your eligibility for Lawful Permanent Resident status." We interpreted it to mean to bring every shred of paper that received from USCIS thus far, and our copies (and originals, where necessary) of everything that we had submitted to USCIS thus far. 

It was a good thing that we did. The IO asked to see my original birth certificate, and my original divorce decree. I had previously put all of our original documents in plastic presentation page protection sheets, and had made color laser copies of all of those documents. So I was able to show him the original in the plastic page protectors and the copies for comparison, offering him one of the copies for his files. We had already sent in those documents a year before with my initial Form I-129F Ke Visa Petition application. But being able to produce those documents at the interview likely saved us from getting RFEs and likely subsequent delays in my family receiving their GCs. 

Try to get a good night's sleep, and a good meal tomorrow. And don't forget to breathe!!! Tell the truth, don't stretch it either. Those IOs are trained to interview people.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

YMMV.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I brought them and they didnt even ask about them, they will ask questions on form i-485 they do to verify if your answer matches the form you submitted. those YES/NO questions are a big ones, they will probably pick 5-6 of them randomly so be sure to know if you said NO or YES, anything that doesnt match will be questioned.

for instance my husband never got a speeding ticket when we submitted the form so we said NO, she asked him at the interview if he ever got a ticket, the answer changed to YES because between that time he got a speeding ticket(which he paid before the interview) so just stuff like that. DO bring your Vaccination sheet, cuz sometimes they lose it or never got a copy when you entered the US.

AOS/EAD/AP ->: 11/29/18 - NOA1: 12/04/18

Biometric NOA:  12/14/18  Biometric Appt: 12/26/18

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 1/16/19

EAD/AP approval: 3/18/19

AOS Interview Appt: 6/4/19

AOS Interview: 7/10/19

AOS Approved: 7/23/19

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 7/26/19

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

I am kind of in the same boat as you.. I have my interview next week. I was planning on bringing originals and copies of things like the marriage certificate and what not..

But I got a little unsure when it said to bring a copy of the affidavit of support and documents related to that if not already submitted.. I sent those off when I sent off the I-485 information so will I need to bring a copy of that too?
It says to bring a letter from the employer about what hours are worked, rate of pay etc.. but my husband is self employed so will a copy of the affidavit and his latest tax return be enough you think?

K1 JOURNEY.
I-129F sent:
31st Jan 2018 | NOA1 Received: 13th Feb 2018 | NOA2 Received: 15th Aug 2018 | At NVC: 4th Sep 2018 | At Embassy: 21st Sep 2018 | Medical: 15th Oct 2018 | Interview: 30th Oct 2018 | K1 Issued: 2nd Nov 2018 | Flight to him<3: 4th Dec 2018 | Wedding<3: 21st Jan 2019

AOS JOURNEY.
AOS sent: 26th Feb 2019 | NOA1 Received: 28th Feb 2019 | Biometrics: 27th March 2019 | EAD/AP: 29th July 2019 | GC Interview: 16th Oct 2019 | GC Approved: 17th Oct 2019 GC Received: 23rd Oct 2019

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, chlosicles said:

I am kind of in the same boat as you.. I have my interview next week. I was planning on bringing originals and copies of things like the marriage certificate and what not..

But I got a little unsure when it said to bring a copy of the affidavit of support and documents related to that if not already submitted.. I sent those off when I sent off the I-485 information so will I need to bring a copy of that too?
It says to bring a letter from the employer about what hours are worked, rate of pay etc.. but my husband is self employed so will a copy of the affidavit and his latest tax return be enough you think?

My husband is also self employed and I have the same thoughts and questions you do. Also if the interview is after Oct 15 do we fill out the new I-864???

1 hour ago, Lana&Ivy said:

My husband is also self employed and I have the same thoughts and questions you do. Also if the interview is after Oct 15 do we fill out the new I-864???

I don't think we'll need to fill out the new form (also, I don't think it'll be fair to make us do that) if you sent off the AOS packet before the new forms came out.

I think just to be sure I am going to take a copy of the I-864 with the most recent tax year and just hope that's enough. That's what it required when I sent the form off with the I-485.

K1 JOURNEY.
I-129F sent:
31st Jan 2018 | NOA1 Received: 13th Feb 2018 | NOA2 Received: 15th Aug 2018 | At NVC: 4th Sep 2018 | At Embassy: 21st Sep 2018 | Medical: 15th Oct 2018 | Interview: 30th Oct 2018 | K1 Issued: 2nd Nov 2018 | Flight to him<3: 4th Dec 2018 | Wedding<3: 21st Jan 2019

AOS JOURNEY.
AOS sent: 26th Feb 2019 | NOA1 Received: 28th Feb 2019 | Biometrics: 27th March 2019 | EAD/AP: 29th July 2019 | GC Interview: 16th Oct 2019 | GC Approved: 17th Oct 2019 GC Received: 23rd Oct 2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.