swedey2k

London Medical Experience Oct 2019 IR-1

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Since this forum has been so helpful to me, thought I'd pay it back and give a download of my medical experience last week. 

My appointment was at 0930 and I arrived at around 0900 and had a quick call with a colleague outside. Went into visa medicals at 0915 and the receptionist asked the time of my appointment and told me to take a seat and relax and come back up at 0930. 

I came back up to the desk at 0929 (I was desperate for a pee and keen to give my urine sample!!) to the other receptionist. She asked for all the docs they had requested which I got out and then she asked for specific things individually. All I was asked for - and all I handed over - was exactly what was listed in their email. I had sent a scan of my patient summary in advance to check it would be OK (mine was very summarised indeed!). She gave me the additional forms and urine pot.

Was given the urine pot and did the needful, and went and filled in my additional forms. There were three forms:

1. Basically page 1 of this :  https://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/591452/iv/ds3026.pdf

2. A simple form for counter-indications of vaccines e.g. are you pregnant, any allergies, ever had a bad reaction, and interestingly have you recently been to a series of countries (including, IIRC, Indonesia, Afghanistan and Nigeria)

3. A basic consent/disclaimer form

Handed these back in with the pot and was shortly after called for chest x-ray. Did my 'Mick Jagger' pose and somehow managed to break the guy's machine "That's the first time that has ever happened!". Thankfully the photo had been taken and he just needed to take a small additional snap of a small part of the chest that had not been captured. 

Waited for about 5-10 mins then before the doctor called me. He talked me through what was going to happen,  asked if I wanted a chaperone and then sign another disclaimer form, then we both signed the photo on the form. He then asked more questions than I was expecting (have I ever had TB or exposure to it, any heart problems, any diabetes, any mental health issues. any issues with recreational drug or alcohol use, ever been arrested, and a few more that I forget). My medical and criminal history is pretty simple/non-existent so my answer to all was 'no'.  He then did my eye test, I took my clothes off (keeping on the pair of pants I'd specially selected for the occasion as they had no holes in them) and he performed the basic physical checks. He then took my blood and chatted about my US plans to distract me from the needle! Said that all was done and I could return to waiting room. 

Got my clothes back on and returned to waiting room, and very shortly thereafter called up by nurse. My immunisations history was a bit of a mess (I have my childhood surgery NHS record, my current surgery NHS record, a private medical clinic record, and a boots receipt for the flu jab!) She went through them all and found what she needed. All was in order for TDAP and Flu, but she mentioned a second MMR jab was needed to top up my one and only jab in childhood. However, I explained that I'd had a yellow fever jab (live vaccine) in the last four weeks so she agreed with my NHS nurse that this was not medically appropriate. I showed her a copy of my carte jaune with the yellow fever record on it but she did not keep a copy. She then talked me through my vaccines form she had filled in and advised me to get my second MMR jab as soon as I could after the four week period was up. 

I then returned to waiting room and the receptionist called me up, gave me back driving license and my immunisation forms, gave me a simple FAQ letter, took my £350 payment and advised me that they'd be in contact with anything from the blood or urine test, but that no news was good news. She advised me to not feel afraid to email after 5 working days to confirm the results had been couriered across, but noted it sometimes takes a couple of days for the results to make their way from the embassy courier room to the consular officer.

Hope this helps others, let me know if you have any questions. 

Edited by swedey2k
correcting typos

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Nice report. Thanks.

As far as the second MMR advice goes, you got a waiver because of the contraindication with the Yellow Fever jab. You're done for immigration purposes, so only need to get it if you want to. Immigration will not require it at any point forward. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

The signing the back of the photo one is interesting to me... I was expecting that but it didn't happen.

The receptionist took my picture with a digital camera and the doctor I had said they moved to a digital/electronic system (this was the 2nd of October). Beyond that pretty much the same.

Just seeing that you were DCF though, so perhaps the difference is because you guys bypass NVC.

Edited by Kris & Crystal

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Drugs would be one thing

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

They do not routinely screen for drugs. BUT if on your questionnaires or when talking to the doctor, you admit to ever using drugs, they will screen for drugs well.

Edited by Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.