zochu

Evidence of Bona Fide Marriage I-130 petition + other docs

15 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have been reading many posts about the evidence required to prove a bona fide marriage. I am Australia and my husband (and now 3 month old daughter) are both American Citizens. I am wondering if the below list of evidence/proof is sufficient enough.

Here is a list of the documents we are submitting to prove our marriage is real:

1. Proof of Joint Tenancy (Australian lease agreement)

2. Proof of combined finances (Australian bank account) (potentially getting a US bank account in joint names if possible with USAA)

3. Birth certificate of Child (Australian birth certificate(

4. Consular Report of Bird Abroad to a Citizen of the United States of America (daughters citizenship confirmation, received after interview at US Consulate in Melbourne, AUS).

5. Proof of Beneficiary's United States Uniformed Services ID and privileged card (its my ID as the spouse of a US military member, my husband is ex USN as he did not re-enlist so the card is now expired)

6. Proof of Joint Health Benefits (Australia/VIC Ambulance Cover)

7. Proof of Beneficiary's emergency contact details for employment (screen shot of my emergency contact details for my employment here in Australia)

8. Proof of Beneficiary's legal name change after marriage (multiple cards and documents that prove I am using my husbands surname passport/aus drivers license etc)

9. Proof of Beneficiary's life insurance policy (my life insurance policy that has my husband listed as the beneficiary if I die)

10. Proof of Joint Costco Membership 

11. Proof of Joint Utilities (Water bill in both names)

12. Proof of Joint Car Insurance Policy) 

plus 

60 pages that include photos of our wedding,  photos of us throughout our relationship and marriage, photos with friends and family in both Aus and USA, receipts of hotels stayed at together, Disneyland tickets/receipts, boarding passes, postal items and future holidays booked and paid for (we are going to Thailand in December and we have added our future flight itinerary and accommodation). The 60 pages have been set up in a timeline manner from our first date, trips I took back and fourth to the USA, him coming to Australia, birth of our child up until present (all dated, with location and brief explanation)

We have one letter of support from one of my husbands friends from the US Navy, but I've read they don't carry much weight so we have stopped asking friends and family to write one... should we include this?

1. Have we provided enough? We don't want a RFE as we don't know what else we can provide but we also don't want to overwhelm the officer reviewing our application.

Also, is there a guide on how we should place together? What else we should include? I have searched this forum but cannot find one? Does anyone have something they give me (please) that explains how to do a cover lettr, what order everything goes in, etc. - that would be so fantastic!

Anyways, thanks in advance for reading this! We hope to post the packet off within the next 5-7 days!

Zoe & Andrew and baby Addison 

Our Visa Journey:

2 April 2018: Married in Santa Ana, California 💒

6 June 2019: Birth of our daughter 👶👨‍👩‍👧

14 October 2019: Sent I-130 package via AusPost 📮 

18 October 2019: NOA1 received - sent to Texas Service Centre :D

24 October 2019: USCIS processed filing fee 🤑 waiting game 🕰️

22 January 2020: Andy moved back to the USA😞 🇺🇸 - re-establish domicile & to get a job 👨‍⚕️

23 February 2020: Petition transferred from Texas Service Centre to Nebraska Service Centre 😞

15 May 2020: I-130 petition approved! 😭😍 Date changes leading up to the approval were: 1 May, 12 May, 13 May. 

16 May 2020: Received NVC email, paid all fees. Waiting for fees to process so we can upload and submit all documents

19 May 2020: Immigrant visa Fees PROCESSED; affidavit of support fee PROCESSED 

28 May 2020: Submitted VISA application, civil documents & affidavit of support documents. Patiently awaiting DQ. 

2 June 2020: Email received from NVC stating that we have been Documentary Qualified and that they will liaise with US Consulate in Sydney for Interview 🐨

27 June 2020: Expedite request submitted 🤞

7 July 2020: Expedite request APPROVED! 😃😭

15 July 2020: Email received advising of interview date and time. 
20 July 2020: Medical i: n Melbourne CBD 🏥     
28 July 2020: US visa interview at US consulate Sydney - refused 221(g) issued. Request for joint sponsor 😞

31 July 2020: uploaded joint sponsor to NVC, emailed consulate 

5 August 2020: emailed received advising they have received the joint sponsor 

7 August 2020: case i0n “administrative processing” 🤞

10 August 2020: visa ISSUED 😭 

12 August 2020: passport and visa in hand!

OK LOL Thank you! 

Edit: Do you think then, we are giving too much that we will overwhelm the officer?

Edited by zochu
extra info

Our Visa Journey:

22 January 2020: Andy moved back to the USA😞 🇺🇸 - re-establish domicile & to get a job 👨‍⚕️

23 February 2020: Petition transferred from Texas Service Centre to Nebraska Service Centre 😞

15 May 2020: I-130 petition approved! 😭😍 Date changes leading up to the approval were: 1 May, 12 May, 13 May. 

16 May 2020: Received NVC email, paid all fees. Waiting for fees to process so we can upload and submit all documents

28 May 2020: Submitted VISA application, civil documents & affidavit of support documents. Patiently awaiting DQ. 

2 June 2020: Email received from NVC stating that we have been Documentary Qualified and that they will liaise with US Consulate in Sydney for Interview 🐨

28 July 2020: US visa interview at US consulate Sydney - refused 221(g) issued. Request for joint sponsor 😞

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to IR1/CR1 P&P, from Bringing Family of USC - as the OP is a spouse of a USC and that process is discussed here.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
26 minutes ago, zochu said:

Hello all,

I have been reading many posts about the evidence required to prove a bona fide marriage. I am Australia and my husband (and now 3 month old daughter) are both American Citizens. I am wondering if the below list of evidence/proof is sufficient enough.

Here is a list of the documents we are submitting to prove our marriage is real:

2. Proof of combined finances (Australian bank account) (potentially getting a US bank account in joint names if possible with USAA)

4. Consular Report of Bird Abroad to a Citizen of the United States of America (daughters citizenship confirmation, received after interview at US Consulate in Melbourne, AUS).

5. Proof of Beneficiary's United States Uniformed Services ID and privileged card (its my ID as the spouse of a US military member, my husband is ex USN as he did not re-enlist so the card is now expired)

7. Proof of Beneficiary's emergency contact details for employment (screen shot of my emergency contact details for my employment here in Australia)

8. Proof of Beneficiary's legal name change after marriage (multiple cards and documents that prove I am using my husbands surname passport/aus drivers license etc)

9. Proof of Beneficiary's life insurance policy (my life insurance policy that has my husband listed as the beneficiary if I die)

plus 

60 pages that include photos of our wedding,  photos of us throughout our relationship and marriage, photos with friends and family in both Aus and USA, receipts of hotels stayed at together, Disneyland tickets/receipts, boarding passes, postal items and future holidays booked and paid for (we are going to Thailand in December and we have added our future flight itinerary and accommodation). The 60 pages have been set up in a timeline manner from our first date, trips I took back and fourth to the USA, him coming to Australia, birth of our child up until present (all dated, with location and brief explanation)

We have one letter of support from one of my husbands friends from the US Navy, but I've read they don't carry much weight so we have stopped asking friends and family to write one... should we include this?

1. Have we provided enough? We don't want a RFE as we don't know what else we can provide but we also don't want to overwhelm the officer reviewing our application.

Also, is there a guide on how we should place together? What else we should include? I have searched this forum but cannot find one? Does anyone have something they give me (please) that explains how to do a cover lettr, what order everything goes in, etc. - that would be so fantastic!

Anyways, thanks in advance for reading this! We hope to post the packet off within the next 5-7 days!

Ok I’m going to give you some advice.  Our evidence of marriage?  The translated marriage book.  She was on US health insurance by interview time but that was it.

You wont have any problem getting the petition approved but none of this joint stuff in Aussie matters.  Your petitioner needs to set up all of this in the US.  I don’t see anything here that shows US ties nor is anything mentioned about intent to establish them.

The petitioner needs to establish ties in the US (address, assets, drivers license, voters registration, banking, credit cards, etc) and the filed petition needs to reflect that.  

The support affidavit is based on US income with US bank statements, tax returns, and/or assets stapled to it.  Rethink the arrangement of this petition.  It sounds like a lifting condition version of proof of valid marriage for Australia and if the reverse was true, that all of this evidence was US-based, it would be a pretty solid file.

12 minutes ago, zochu said:

OK LOL Thank you! 

Edit: Do you think then, we are giving too much that we will overwhelm the officer?

See above

Edited by Nitas_man

7 minutes ago, zochu said:

OK LOL Thank you! 

There is always a risk that sending a novella will delay things, as it requires them to read through everything.  Best bet is stick to the checklist on the USCIS website.  

The 60 pages of stuff is unnecessary.  The best evidence of a bonafide marriage is time spent together.  Living together currently puts you in a very strong position that way.  Plus, you're from a very low fraud country.  Many spouse petitions are filed for people from high fraud/high risk countries, where the couple have met once and married on that visit, etc.

You won't need affidavits.

Best wishes!

Timeline
39 minutes ago, zochu said:

Hello all,

Proof of Joint Tenancy (Australia)

Birth certificate of Child (Australian birth certificate

Consular Report of Bird Abroad to a Citizen of the United States of America (daughter)

Proof of Beneficiary's legal name change after marriage (multiple cards and documents that prove I am using my husbands surname passport/aus drivers license etc)

photos of our wedding

Proof of legal status in Aussie (petitioner) 

Marriage certificate

There ya go.  All cleaned up.  Handful of wedding photos (half dozen) should suffice.  You also forgot the only document that matters - marriage certifcate.

Now add:

Proof of establishment or intent to establish ties to the US (petitioner)

and start working on how the US petitioner will fulfill the support affidavit requirements

Edited by Nitas_man

3 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

There ya go.  All cleaned up.

Now add:

Proof of establishment or intent to establish ties to the US (petitioner)

and start working on how the US petitioner will fulfill the support affidavit requirements

thank you very much! Andy (husband) is only here as a tourist and will leave Australia in Jan 2020 for work! 

Our Visa Journey:

Timeline
2 minutes ago, zochu said:

thank you very much! Andy (husband) is only here as a tourist and will leave Australia in Jan 2020 for work! 

Why would you submit a joint lease, joint bank account, and joint utilities in Aussie for a tourist?

1 minute ago, Nitas_man said:

Why would you submit a joint lease, joint bank account, and joint utilities in Aussie for a tourist?

We just have that as evidence. tourists here can get all of those things. We found it hard for me to get a US bank account while i was there on the VWP as i had no tax ID or SSN

Our Visa Journey:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You are living in auz and doing a cr1 visa? Or are you currently in the us and doing an AOS

Regardless, Australia is a low fraud country. You basically just need to fill the paperwork out and you dont need any evidence. You will be fine! 

On 9/29/2019 at 12:17 PM, caliliving said:

You are living in auz and doing a cr1 visa? Or are you currently in the us and doing an AOS

Regardless, Australia is a low fraud country. You basically just need to fill the paperwork out and you dont need any evidence. You will be fine! 

I am living in Aus about to start the CR1 process. Ah this is so stressful! 

Our Visa Journey:

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 1:20 PM, zochu said:

Hello all,

plus 

Lol about 10x more than what we sent, and ours was approved... I’m sure that more than enough 😂

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

I sure hope so. We should have done this when he was active duty and just right after we got married in April 2018 but we didnt know where we wanted to live and now hes been in Australia for the last 10 months and doesnt want to live here haha

Our Visa Journey:

28 minutes ago, zochu said:

I sure hope so. We should have done this when he was active duty and just right after we got married in April 2018 but we didnt know where we wanted to live and now hes been in Australia for the last 10 months and doesnt want to live here haha

Lol my hubby is the same, he loves coming here on visits 😂 Aus wins hands down for both of us, but for now given our immigration system is so hard, long and expensive we picked there for now before retirement here in later years. 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.