1,282 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi All.  Had my interview today.  It went relatively well.  Provided my original documents - marriage license, passport photo, birth certificate, police certificate and a copy of 2021 taxes.  She did what she needed with them and returned the originals back.  She kept my passport.

she also took my fingerprints too.

Second person asked me simple questions - who is your petitioner, where did you meet, what you like about your spouse, where you would live.  He was friendly.

He then said you have been randomly selected for additional processing.  Visa refused at moment.  Await email with questionnaire for completion.  Once completed send it back to the email it came with (and not to attach and corresponding documents, just answer the questions).

He then said would it be ok for them to hold onto my passport, so I said yes.

A few hours later I received email with questionnaire.  It is a DS-5355.  I now read unsettling stories about it.  I completed it and sent it back this evening.

I have seen stories where it can take up to 60 days to review, if not much longer!!!

the form to my understanding is an added security check, pretty much asking questions from the initial application.

this process has been long enough, but I have to remain optimistic.

any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Edited by MikeBr

12 minutes ago, MikeBr said:

A few hours later I received email with questionnaire.  It is a DS-5355.

Sorry to hear you got DS-5535.  You may want to join the support group here --

49 minutes ago, MikeBr said:

Hi All.  Had my interview today.  It went relatively well.  Provided my original documents - marriage license, passport photo, birth certificate, police certificate and a copy of 2021 taxes.  She did what she needed with them and returned the originals back.  She kept my passport.

she also took my fingerprints too.

Second person asked me simple questions - who is your petitioner, where did you meet, what you like about your spouse, where you would live.  He was friendly.

He then said you have been randomly selected for additional processing.  Visa refused at moment.  Await email with questionnaire for completion.  Once completed send it back to the email it came with (and not to attach and corresponding documents, just answer the questions).

He then said would it be ok for them to hold onto my passport, so I said yes.

A few hours later I received email with questionnaire.  It is a DS-5355.  I now read unsettling stories about it.  I completed it and sent it back this evening.

I have seen stories where it can take up to 60 days to review, if not much longer!!!

the form to my understanding is an added security check, pretty much asking questions from the initial application.

this process has been long enough, but I have to remain optimistic.

any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Sorry to hear that, May I know which country is the place of your birth? Just wanted to know if they are doing Administrative processing based on place of birth or just randomly.

Thanks,

Timeline
22 minutes ago, ks7608 said:

Sorry to hear that, May I know which country is the place of your birth? Just wanted to know if they are doing Administrative processing based on place of birth or just randomly.

Thanks,

I was born here in Canada and have lived here my entire life, aside from travels - primarily to US, Caribbean and Europe (London, Paris).  So I think this has to be random.  

Edited by MikeBr

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, ks7608 said:

@RW&Bjourney,@joydhaka, @F3-from Toronto, @hasibqa

How did your interviews go today, please share  your experiences.

Thanks

Hi all

My interview went well and visa officer was very nice to me. He told me he has all the document he needed to approve the visa but it is unfortunate that my case need additional processing. At the end of the interview he asked me have you had troubled to enter USA? I told him sometime it takes 5/10 minutes to get security clearance due to my name. He gave me a choice of keeping the passport to the consulate or I can take it with me. I decided to keep the passport with consulate. I asked him how long it will take to process. His answer there is no definite timeline. You may expect in two months but could be even longer. At the end of interview he gave a paper which mentioned section 221(g) which prohibits the issuance of visa....  so far today they don't send me any questionnaire. 

8 minutes ago, joydhaka said:

Hi all

My interview went well and visa officer was very nice to me. He told me he has all the document he needed to approve the visa but it is unfortunate that my case need additional processing. At the end of the interview he asked me have you had troubled to enter USA? I told him sometime it takes 5/10 minutes to get security clearance due to my name. He gave me a choice of keeping the passport to the consulate or I can take it with me. I decided to keep the passport with consulate. I asked him how long it will take to process. His answer there is no definite timeline. You may expect in two months but could be even longer. At the end of interview he gave a paper which mentioned section 221(g) which prohibits the issuance of visa....  so far today they don't send me any questionnaire. 

Hopefully you will get it soon.

Thanks for sharing.

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, ks7608 said:

Thanks

Hello all,

Had our interview today.

We reached at 8.10 am for 8.30 am interview. There were no line ups at the entrance. They let us in right away. Getting in was smooth. Waited for 10 minutes to be called at the first counter for documents. Asked for original documents- Police clearance, Marriage certificate, Birth certificate etc.. The officer was very friendly. Spent about  15 minutes at the first counter. I had uploaded updated income and PCC prior to the interview.

Waited for another 15 minutes to be called for the actual interview.  Asked questions such as: Who is your petitioner, where do they live. Have you been previously married, what is your highest level of Education, how long was your maximum stay in the states? 

At the end said your visa is approved. Spend about 1 hour 45 mins altogether. Overall it was a positive experience.

Good luck to all those who are waiting. 

Timeline
8 hours ago, ks7608 said:

Hopefully you will get it soon.

Thanks for sharing.

8 hours ago, joydhaka said:

Hi all

You were in same position as I was the day before.  You should receive email soon with questionnaire.  I received two papers - one with the 221g refusal noting additional processing, and another one with additional verbiage that noted once they receive what they need we could expect a response in 6-8 weeks.  Sounds like you had same officer as I did.  Hoping for the best for you too.

On 11/20/2022 at 9:34 AM, Mak1234 said:
Hello, 

My wife had her interview yesterday in Montreal. We did not have the correct police check, and the officer asked to post the police check and passport once received to issue the visa. However, when I am checking DS-260 status, it shows as "Refused" (picture below). What does it mean? 

Thanks,

Untitled.png

We mailed the Police Certificate and passport last Thursday. The status in  Official U.S. Department of State Visa Appointment Service | English 
has changed to "Send Document"  but it still shows as "Refused" in DS260 status with Last Updated moved to 22-Nov. Should we worry? I am sorry if I am panicking, but the whole process is so stressful. 
Thanks,

On 11/23/2022 at 6:26 PM, ks7608 said:

Thanks

Hi All, 
My wife had her interview last week. We had an issue where to police clearance from Canada was one that required fingerprints but it was not something that was specified in the requirements. They kept her passport and asked to send the updated RCMP police verification to the embassy. We've already started that process. Hopefully it'll be another few weeks and we will get her passport back with the visa. 

5 minutes ago, hasibqa said:

Hi All, 
My wife had her interview last week. We had an issue where to police clearance from Canada was one that required fingerprints but it was not something that was specified in the requirements. They kept her passport and asked to send the updated RCMP police verification to the embassy. We've already started that process. Hopefully it'll be another few weeks and we will get her passport back with the visa. 

We are in the exactly same situation. What "Status" do you see in https://ais.usvisa-info.com/ ? 

How about DS260 status in "https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx" ?

Thanks, 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.