beatbaba

I-130 Third Party Affidavit

25 posts in this topic

Stupid Question --

Are these simple letters, written by family members and signed? or do they need to be signed on court paper in from of magistrate or something similar ... 

Thank you

I thought about getting some notarized affidavit's signed by he witnesses at or wedding. But notarizing only verifies what's written on paper, not whether its true or not. So I didn't send any. Plus I thought sending a few letters saying I ______ witnessed on ________ the marriage of _______ and ______, Blah blah blah. Didn't make much since.  

But I don't think it would hurt you any to include them. 

I-130
Sent: 3/9/2019 (Phoenix LB) 
Delivered: 3/12/2019
NOA1: 3/15/2019 (LIN)

NOA2:  :clock:

32 minutes ago, beatbaba said:

Stupid Question --

Are these simple letters, written by family members and signed? or do they need to be signed on court paper in from of magistrate or something similar ... 

Thank you

A marriage certificate and a couple

of wedding photos would carry more weight

14 minutes ago, Scott001 said:

I thought about getting some notarized affidavit's signed by he witnesses at or wedding. But notarizing only verifies what's written on paper, not whether its true or not. So I didn't send any. Plus I thought sending a few letters saying I ______ witnessed on ________ the marriage of _______ and ______, Blah blah blah. Didn't make much since.  

Why would you need statements from people who attended the wedding? You have a marriage certificate that is cast-iron proof that a legal marriage took place. What would statements of friends bring to the table that a marriage certificate doesn’t? 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JFH said:

Why would you need statements from people who attended the wedding? You have a marriage certificate that is cast-iron proof that a legal marriage took place. What would statements of friends bring to the table that a marriage certificate doesn’t? 

I never it was needed. I did not send any as I didn't see the point. 

Anyways, to the OP's question, I don't think it will hurt their application if they include affidavits. It's up to them. Whatever they feel more comfortable doing,  they should do. 

Edited by Scott001

I-130
Sent: 3/9/2019 (Phoenix LB) 
Delivered: 3/12/2019
NOA1: 3/15/2019 (LIN)

NOA2:  :clock:

20 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

I seriously need to understand the recent VJ affidavit obsession

Is there something we don’t know that puts petitions over the top?

I’m right there with you. Where has this come from all of a sudden? 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, JFH said:

I’m right there with you. Where has this come from all of a sudden? 

I guess I missed the memo....I haven't seen a particular uptake. It's always been fairly common for people to believe it is needed or is beneficial. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

20 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I guess I missed the memo....I haven't seen a particular uptake. It's always been fairly common for people to believe it is needed or is beneficial. 🤷‍♂️

hmm an affidavit service would be a great side gig

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

Anybody can write an affidavit. They don't need to be notarized, but you can if you want.

As for their practicality...

Anybody can write one. I charge $20. (sarcasm)

1 hour ago, Scott001 said:

1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

A marriage certificate and a couple

of wedding photos would carry more weight

1 hour ago, JFH said:

What if the affidavit comes from people with repute in the society e.g. congressman, doctor, chartered accountant .. compare to family and relatives?  Will that help in some way .. 

Also I read people are putting them in a sealed envelope .. does it need to be that way.//

1 minute ago, beatbaba said:

What if the affidavit comes from people with repute in the society e.g. congressman, doctor, chartered accountant .. compare to family and relatives?  Will that help in some way .. 

Also I read people are putting them in a sealed envelope .. does it need to be that way.//

The CO has no way to verify their authenticity or even question them, and a congressman/doctor/etc. very likely wouldn't know the bonafide-ness of your marriage unless they were there throughout the relationship.

Nobody ever provides a negative affidavit. ;)

Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

23 minutes ago, beatbaba said:

What are you hoping those people can write that will sway the decision?  As it has been said, affidavits carry little if any merit, as anyone you happen to know will never write anything other than what you've asked them to write.

25 minutes ago, beatbaba said:

Why do you feel you need an affidavit

7 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

The legendary land of the YouTubes.

YouTubing is another great side gig

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.