Ippy

RFE: Evidence of when we personally met needed

20 posts in this topic

I got an RFE from the Us govt last week, and I'm trying to figure out how to proceed. I don't have many boarding passes from the time frame specified, and the one I do have wouldn't really show anything.

What the RFE told me:

Submit evidence that you and your fiance(e) have met each other at some time during the two-year period from May 15, 2017 until May 15, 2019, the filing date of your petition. Evidence may include, but is not limited to:

- Photocopies of your passport and/or your fiance(e)'s passport, (including biographical data pages and pages showing entry and exit stamps showing that you have been present in a given location at the same time.)

- Your own statement which must include the date, place, and circumstances of your meeting. If you submit a personal statement, it must be supported by additional evidence.

- Copies of travel documents (airline tickets, boarding passes, hotel accommodations, etc).

- Letters written to each other after your meeting(s), referencing the specific date and place of your meeting(s).

I made the mistake of only including travel itineraries. I might have some stay information available to me, but not as much as I would like, and not as many travel documents as I would like during this time frame. Any suggestions for evidence?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Any pictures of the two of you together during the timeframe?  Do you have passport stamps or any other documents such as hotel bills or train tickets that show both of you together?  Do you have anything on the list that references your meeting?

Edited by Bill & Katya

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Correct, itineraries are not proof of actually taking the flight.  

Do you have passport entry stamps that match the date of a boarding pass for the flight into the country? 

You only need to prove ONE meeting, not several.   Gather what you have that demonstrates the one meeting 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Panama
Timeline

The strongest evidence would be a copy of the data page of your passport, along with the page(s) showing your entry stamp(s) to your fiancée's country.

As far as secondary evidence, I would write a brief cover letter explaining the circumstances of your meeting in person, along with photos (include location and date), hotel receipts, etc.

Spoiler

K1

I-129F Sent: 3/1/19

CSC Received: 3/7/19

NOA1: 3/12/19

NOA2: 5/30/19 (No RFE

NVC Received: 6/21/19

Case Number Assigned: 6/22/19

NVC Left: 7/9/19

Consulate Received: 7/11/19

Interview: 8/15/19

POE 8/31/19

MARRIED! (L) 11/1/19

AOS Sent: 2/18/20

AOS Delivered: 2/20/20

Text Notifications of AOS Received: 2/27/20

AOS NOA1 Hardcopies: 3/2/20

Biometrics Notice: 3/5/20

Biometrics Appointment: 3/19/20 (Rescheduled due to Covid-19 to 3/31/20. Rescheduled again for 9/1/20)

EAD Approval 7/27/20

AP Approval 7/27/20

Ok, thanks. I do have two Airbnb receipts from when I went to stay over by her. I believe she might have passport entry stamps, but apparently the US doesn't stamp coming from Canada, so that's a no-go for me. But could probably include hers. I already submitted pictures of us together during the time frame, though I could have done more.

Timeline
Just now, Ippy said:

Ok, thanks. I do have two Airbnb receipts from when I went to stay over by her. I believe she might have passport entry stamps, but apparently the US doesn't stamp coming from Canada, so that's a no-go for me. But could probably include hers. I already submitted pictures of us together during the time frame, though I could have done more.

Pictures are of little utilitarian value 

YMMV

2 minutes ago, Ippy said:

She can get her I-94 online. A printout should suffice the same as passport stamps: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

She can get her I-94 online. A printout should suffice the same as passport stamps: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/

Thank you! This will be very helpful. I can also get the passport stamps from her, but I suppose they do the same.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Ippy said:

I got an RFE from the Us govt last week, and I'm trying to figure out how to proceed. I don't have many boarding passes from the time frame specified, and the one I do have wouldn't really show anything.

What the RFE told me:

Submit evidence that you and your fiance(e) have met each other at some time during the two-year period from May 15, 2017 until May 15, 2019, the filing date of your petition. Evidence may include, but is not limited to:

- Photocopies of your passport and/or your fiance(e)'s passport, (including biographical data pages and pages showing entry and exit stamps showing that you have been present in a given location at the same time.)

- Your own statement which must include the date, place, and circumstances of your meeting. If you submit a personal statement, it must be supported by additional evidence.

- Copies of travel documents (airline tickets, boarding passes, hotel accommodations, etc).

- Letters written to each other after your meeting(s), referencing the specific date and place of your meeting(s).

I made the mistake of only including travel itineraries. I might have some stay information available to me, but not as much as I would like, and not as many travel documents as I would like during this time frame. Any suggestions for evidence?

Thanks!

No passport stamps?   Receipt from the hotel/motel you stayed at?   Has beneficiary been to the USA?

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

No passport stamps?   Receipt from the hotel/motel you stayed at?   

She has passport stamps from her visits. The receipts I have are from Airbnb, which are generated when I book, not after I stay.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Ippy said:

She has passport stamps from her visits. The receipts I have are from Airbnb, which are generated when I book, not after I stay.

Get the required pages of her passport copied.   << this is the valuable evidence.

Did you prepay for Airbnb, does the receipt have your name ... I might toss that in as well.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

2 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Get the required pages of her passport copied.   << this is the valuable evidence.

Did you prepay for Airbnb, does the receipt have your name ... I might toss that in as well.

Yes, it has my name and date of stay. My thought with that is that the govt would view those documents the same way they view travel itineraries. But it doesn't hurt to have it.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ippy said:

Yes, it has my name and date of stay. My thought with that is that the govt would view those documents the same way they view travel itineraries. But it doesn't hurt to have it.

They might particularly if the date of the receipt precedes the dates of the stay

YMMV

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Ippy said:

Still I would include it 

But HER passport stamps are the "golden evidence"

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.